BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > M140i xDrive rear differential leaking

05-01-2022, 02:39 AM   #1
ringo9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition DCT

M140i xDrive rear differential leaking

I am considering an otherwise top spec and great history M140i xDrive but the owner tells me the rear diff seals are leaking very slowly and that he will take care of it before the sale goes through.

My question is really how common this leaking is? Owner says several of 1/2/3-40i owners he knows have the same issue but with some quick asking on FB I didn't get any owner confirming this so what's the case?

Moreover, once it's fixed (he's DIY-ing it with a BMW mechanic friend as local BMW needs over a month to find a slot and book it in plus the cost) is the fix going to last or am I going to keep worrying about and having to take it to more workshops?

I know the first reply is probably: "why not look elsewhere" but it's not that simple. The car has the exact spec I am after and great history so one fault does not necessarily mean it should be discarded, actually often when buying used it's better that some common issues have already shown up and are fixed before you get the car so you don't have to worry yourself later on.

So is this such a case?
Appreciate 0