BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > HELP!! Rear indicators not working

11-10-2021, 12:37 AM   #1
Roodosutaa
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i

HELP!! Rear indicators not working

Hi guys

So I've installed two supposedly CANBUS error free rear indicator LED bulbs last night, tested them for hazards and turn signals both sides, ran fine, didn't throw a code or hyper flash. I have used this brand before on other cars with no issues have come to trust this brand (to a degree, it is a Chinese brand after all)

Went for a drive the next morning, the blinkers started flashing fast (on both sides), dash says bulb error. Thought all would be well again once I got home and put the stock filament bulbs back in, not so.

The hyper flashing continues with the stock bulbs back in, yet there's no bulb error message, they simply won't light up at all whether indicating, hazard warning or when locking/unlocking. Scanned for error codes using the Torque app and found nothing.

It would seem to me that this is a computer problem more than a bulb problem, obviouisly the CANBUS module controling lighting did not like the LED bulbs and somehow managed to isolate the circuit going to the rear indicators - it worries me that there's no more bulb failure message on the dash, as if the rear indicators don't exist.

Things I've tried so far:
* Disconnecting the neg cable on the battery, and reconnecting after 12 hours in an attempt to reset the system
* Bimmercoded the ECU for rear LED blinkers
* Checked the stock bulbs, neither is blown
* Pulled out a brake light bulb and reverse light bulb and an error message showed up on the dash indicating the part of the computer monitoring bulb failure is still working, at least for those bulbs

I have:

* Vgate OBD2 dongle thingy
* Torque app
* Bimmercode (full)
* Bimmerlink (trial)
* Someone has suggested to install DeepOBD, which I have done but haven't used yet

Any ideas on what else I can try and diagnose/fix the problem before I throw it the towel and take it to a shop/dealer?

Many thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0