BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > F20 2016 front wind shield washer issue

06-09-2021, 03:40 AM   #1
jurajpe
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series 118D, F20

F20 2016 front wind shield washer issue

Hi. My front windshield washer stopped working. I run out of fluid, I filled up with original bmw washer and topped up with water.
After that I realised that the front one is not working.
The rear one works fine. The front one if I pull the lever, no pump sound.
Are there two different pumps for front and rear washers?
The wipers work both front and back. Just the water does not come out at the front. Again no pump sound for the front.
Anything I can try before taking it to service? It is going to be one expensive one as I read about the cost. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 08:50 AM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Yes, there seem to be different pumps (front, rear, headlights if applicable): https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_2896.

And yes, the windshield pump could be damaged if you tried it when empty: see the manual, page 63.

Therefore, the auxiliary pumps (rear, headlights) are actually protected by disabling (to save the fluid for the main use) when there's little fluid in the tank (a Check Control warning pops up, do not ignore it ). Thanks for the heads-up about the main one: it's not that I was careless but I did not expect it to be very delicate !

By the way, the quality of the washer fluid matters: reportedly, the quantity of a "low quality" (anti-freeze, in particular) fluid can fail to be detected correctly and the Check Control warning will persist (so using the original BMW washer fluid can be a valid precaution, but not strictly necessary).
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 06:29 PM   #3
jurajpe
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Yes, there seem to be different pumps (front, rear, headlights if applicable): https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_2896.

And yes, the windshield pump could be damaged if you tried it when empty: see the manual, page 63.

Therefore, the auxiliary pumps (rear, headlights) are actually protected by disabling (to save the fluid for the main use) when there's little fluid in the tank (a Check Control warning pops up, do not ignore it ). Thanks for the heads-up about the main one: it's not that I was careless but I did not expect it to be very delicate !

By the way, the quality of the washer fluid matters: reportedly, the quantity of a "low quality" (anti-freeze, in particular) fluid can fail to be detected correctly and the Check Control warning will persist (so using the original BMW washer fluid can be a valid precaution, but not strictly necessary).
Hi. Thanks for confirming.
A couple of things. Never got any warning light. Just stopped operating. But the pump was running dry when I tried. I will admit I left it for a week or so before refilling. But I was not running the pump on dry for fun. So yes did not expect it to be so delicate once I refilled it and tried, it was quiet.
Also I bought this car 18 months ago used, and this was the first time I run out of the fluid, so who knows what washer fluid was used. I used the original one. It is just plain lazy not to use the original one, the generic ones you buy at a petrol station are perhaps even more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 02:16 PM   #4
dorgo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F20 116i

Happened to me too (rear pump), both pumps are located on the same place on the tank.
I noticed the issue only when I saw a leak under my car.

I replaced it by myself (quicker than I thought), I shared it on the DIY branch with description of tools, parts numbers and more.

Good luck!

Last edited by dorgo; 06-10-2021 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 11:44 PM   #5
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurajpe View Post
who knows what washer fluid was used
Here's an interesting remark on this: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5#post27417585.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 12:56 PM   #6
jurajpe
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorgo View Post
Happened to me too (rear pump), both pumps are located on the same place on the tank.
I noticed the issue only when I saw a leak under my car.

I replaced it by myself (quicker than I thought), I shared it on the DIY branch with description of tools, parts numbers and more.

Good luck!
Thank you
Appreciate 0