BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Not Happy!

07-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
Mc05Rat
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D M Sport

Not Happy!

Turned my aircon on today and 4 seconds later this loud droning noise came pelting out and no cold air.

Go down to BMW today and my sales guy gets the service department over so I reiterated the situation and so the service guy says ok we will book it in, I at this point was asking are you not going to come listen? the response I got was nah we know what it is!!! I insisted to come look, They confirmed that the motor on the aircon is gone and they have delt with this issue several times lately!

My car is only 2 months old and already broken im thinking what happens 1 - 2 years down the line what else is going to go wrong?

They seem to be fully arare if the problem surley they should have contacted all owners with a possible recall?

Whats everyones thoughts on this?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

I doubt they will offer a recall on an AC part. There is probably already a service bulletin in place.

Here in the States a recall has to be repaired for free no matter the age or mileage of the car. So it is typically reserved for safety related problems. I don't know if its the same in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
Brenyaman
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: F20 120D Aut Urban

In five years time they'll be buying the next 1 Series which will probably come out with issues of its own.
...Or a 2nd hand 2012 1 Series
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
I don't know if its the same in the UK.
It is the same in the UK. I think the OP was more concerned about time and incidental expenses (travel, time off work to take it in to the workshop etc) than the cost of parts and labour.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
ReadingFC
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 116ED

[QUOTE=Mc05Rat;12382737]Turned my aircon on today and 4 seconds later this loud droning noise came pelting out and no cold air.

Go down to BMW today and my sales guy gets the service department over so I reiterated the situation and so the service guy says ok we will book it in, I at this point was asking are you not going to come listen? the response I got was nah we know what it is!!! I insisted to come look, They confirmed that the motor on the aircon is gone and they have delt with this issue several times lately!

My car is only 2 months old and already broken im thinking what happens 1 - 2 years down the line what else is going to go wrong?

They seem to be fully arare if the problem surley they should have contacted all owners with a possible recall?

Mine has just started making a horrible noise when you turn the ac on....not happy only three months old. How long is your car going to be in workshops and do you know if parts are readily available or on back order??

thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Unfortunately, with all new models comes glitches. BMW would have been quick to identify this with the supplier.
You were just unlucky to have this problem occur before the due service. If it lasted until your service it would probably have be replaced and you would not be told.

As Max would say "It's the old 'we are very busy at present, can you leave the car with us for the whole day' trick". Sorry about that chief

I read recently that C class engines had a problem with cam sensors, when I asked the sevice guy he said 'We replaced yours at the last service'. I was unaware that this was done.

It appears that most of us will be blissfully unaware if our car had a know problem part as it will be quietly replaced during a service.

Manufactures do not like bad press
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
ReadingFC
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 116ED

My F20 ED went to workshops today and told the aircon/fan system is knackered....need car for holiday so they are going to fix in a weeks time. Not bad for a 12 week old car!!!!I just hope this is not the start of things to come....
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 12:47 AM   #8
sl91
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: 125i F20

What do you mean with motor? Is it the compressor ? If so, in my case, it is made by DENSO in Japan. This is the Japanese #1 car manufacturers supplier. Before my F20, I have had only Japanese cars assembled I'm Japan (i.e. Toyota and Mazda). Under the bonnet, every thing was made by Denso. I can tell you that these parts where 100% reliable. My F20 is a 125I assembled on march 31th.

Regards

sl91