BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 116d engine swap...

11-10-2018, 12:40 PM   #1
Estoril Blue 116d
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: The blur Marvel

116d engine swap...

This question has been lurking in the back of my mind for the last couple of weeks. Can it be done and what engine will fit? I'm talking about a relative plug n pray solution without big modifications and crazy fabrication. OE as long as it's possible. Swap as much as possible from a donor car.
Roughly engine, engine-mounts, radiator, plumbing, exhaust, gearbox (necessary?), driveshaft, diff and ECU...

To get it approved by the authorities in Norway the power output can't be more than the most powerful 1-series, say the M135i. It doesnt't matter if the power comes from a gasoline based model. The car already have the brakes and suspension to cope, and that's really what they are looking for when approving.
The goal would be around 300 hp. I will remap it later, after approval.

Reason 1: I've been planning to swap another engine in my E30 for a while but never got around to get it done. I think I might be better off keeping the car with it's original engine and sell it next spring. That money will be invested in a new classic car project, but some could also go in the F20. I alway wanted to do an engine swap and I really like the 1-series...

Reason 2: It would be one slick ride. A sleeper with a lot of diesel grunt. It would go like a freight train on steroids, smoking tires in third on dry roads.
I need the practicality of the 5 doors, and I already have the car.

So what do think, can it be done? Has it been done? Which engine will fit?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 02:03 PM   #2
Chocolatero€
Private
Rep
Drives: 120d Xdrive F21

Its crazy but I love it lol.

with a 125d one u can go close to 300hp without mayor mods
      11-10-2018, 02:12 PM   #3
Estoril Blue 116d
Private
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolatero€ View Post
Its crazy but I love it lol.

with a 125d one u can go close to 300hp without mayor mods
Hehe, it would be great yes!

Do you refer to the B47 engine? In that case, yeah that would be the most obvious engine since it's 4 cylinder and already fitted to the 1-series. But getting it to 300 hp would be pushing it, but yeah with remap, egr delete and exhaust etc. it would up there..

I would hoped theres is room for a M57 or something, but I don't know if it's possible...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 02:19 PM   #4
Estoril Blue 116d
Private
Norway
Rep

Did some searching and found a couple of cars with swapped engines...

This is of course very professional done by AC Schnitzer... Must be a weapon this!!
0-100 km/h in 4.5 seconds and 80 to180 km/h in 7.9 seconds.
That's S E R I O U S L Y fast.

https://www.carscoops.com/2015/11/ac...-m50ds-engine/

Anyway it appears the engine bay on the F20 is pretty similar to the 3 series from the same period, and a 335D drivetrain would be a healthy and doable swap.

This guy did it too...

It'll be costly though, but what a sleeper it would be...
Appreciate 0