BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > VSS Steering Rack

02-20-2019, 06:34 AM   #1
hobo0933
Rep
Drives: 230i

VSS Steering Rack

When setting the steering wheel somewhere between 11 and 1 o'clock on my brand new RWD 230i, it does not self-center, it just stays there and the car keeps turning, until i push it back. It is independent of how fast I am going and even if I let go of the steering wheel completely.
I am starting to suspect that there is something wrong with the steering rack, any opinions regarding this? As far as I can see the same steering rack is used in all 1-4 series with Variable Sport Steering (VSS).
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 07:02 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

There has been some issues with these racks, as you can also see in other discussions in this forum. The symptoms have not been like yours.

You can also get the same symptoms if there is a problem with the bearing on top of one of the front suspension struts. If that is the case, you can usually feel the springs turning in steps instead of rotating smoothly.

The tyres will also affect centering significantly. I used to have a set of retreaded racing rain tyres with no centering force at all.

A third possibility is wrong suspension alignment. If the caster angle is too low, or the trailing distance is too small, the centering will be reduced or missing completely.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 08:12 AM   #3
hobo0933
Rep
Drives: 230i

OK, thanks. I started off on 18" Michelin PSS, now I am running on 17" all season runflats. It has been the same problem with both tires. I have also checked the wheel alignment and it is OK. Now that you mention it, I may have felt a slight notchiness but thought it was wheels pulling or pushing the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 09:21 AM   #4
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Notchiness can be both a faulty rack or a faulty strut bearing.
Appreciate 0