BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Drivetrain error - need advice

12-12-2018, 09:14 AM   #1
sergeii
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 118i

Drivetrain error - need advice

Hello, just get drivetrain error (yellow error) - continue journey is possible.

Connected my BimmerLink and found 9 errors on motor
(maybe old errors still there?)

looks like having some problems with injection on cylinder 4? can anybody please help me with reading this codes?

and my main question is, can i drive with it like 50-60kms to nearest BMW service or my car must be towed?

Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Hello,

If the Check Control message says you can drive that should mean you can. Call the BMW service if in doubt.

"Combustion misfire" errors (don't overlook "multiple cylinders" besides the 4th) - a very easy guess is coils/plugs if your "future" BMW F20 118i is not especially new (you have a 4th cylinder some should miss quite "painfully" ), otherwise just claim the warranty and worry not unless declined or "suspended". In any case, why won't you just call the BMW service? The errors look easy to read aloud.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 11:02 AM   #3
sergeii
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Hello,

If the Check Control message says you can drive that should mean you can. Call the BMW service if in doubt.

"Combustion misfire" errors (don't overlook "multiple cylinders" besides the 4th) - a very easy guess is coils/plugs if your "future" BMW F20 118i is not especially new (you have a 4th cylinder some should miss quite "painfully" ), otherwise just claim the warranty and worry not unless declined or "suspended". In any case, why won't you just call the BMW service? The errors look easy to read aloud.

sure i called in but technician told me its on me to tow or drive by .. as "drivetrain error" is not an obvious one-error solution and without thier diagnostic hes unable to told me anything by the phone, he told me that some mobile diagnostic should show different vaules and errors so he book me for diagnostic on 20th december so now i must be a week without a car.

next nearest bmw service (like 100kms) is full till new year, thats it
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 11:19 AM   #4
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeii View Post
sure i called in but technician told me its on me to tow or drive by
So wise of him! Why do you need that recited? The safest is to tow but you can choose . How does the car go? If stumbling you'd better play safe as you do seem to feel like that. If only lacking some performance I would drive, I guess (why not to trust those who built up that Check Control system with convenient, clear suggestions from the manufacturer?), but I can not take your responsibility, of course!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 11:31 AM   #5
sergeii
Rep

Quote:
So wise of him! Why do you need that recited? The safest is to tow but you can choose . How does the car go? If stumbling you'd better play safe as you do seem to feel like that. If only lacking some performance I would drive, I guess (why not to trust those who built up that Check Control system with convenient, clear suggestions from the manufacturer?), but I can not take your responsibility, of course!
it goes like 3cylinder - higher vibrations from engine and lazy performance

just looking for some advice of course i dont want to damage engine or get worse as it like now ... so are there any possible damages while the car running with only 3cylinders?

i was lastly solving problems like that like 8-10 years ago :/
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 11:42 AM   #6
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
are there any possible damages while the car running with only 3cylinders?
ovekvam, let him know, please! Most LCI F20 118i run with only 3 cylinders, permanently.

Quote:
i was lastly solving problems like that like 8-10 years ago
I would guess it should be pretty much the same these days. Vibrations are no good but may be not strictly destructive as the reason looks not "purely" mechanical, just lack of some "balance". I would decide from my feeling/impression. I'm overall confident in my car. Yet not looking for trouble, of course.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #7
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
ovekvam, let him know, please! Most LCI F20 118i run with only 3 cylinders, permanently.
Seems to work quite well for our F20! :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #8
sergeii
Rep

so my car came back from service and its working good ... well for one day

today pop me a drivertrain error again but now motor is very unstable and nearly unable to drive

but look like its just some shortage or something, any advice please?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 03:03 PM   #9
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
so my car came back from service and its working good ... well for one day

today pop me a drivertrain error again but now motor is very unstable and nearly unable to drive

but look like its just some shortage or something, any advice please?
Running on two now? Like never enough? Take it back to the service for (job) warranty (re-)fixing, of course. Demand towing at their expense(?). If they fail to settle it just instantly complain to BMW customer service (it's an official BMW service that has failed, I presume).
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 03:08 PM   #10
sergeii
Rep

Quote:
Running on two now? Like never enough? Take it back to the service for (job) warranty (re-)fixing, of course. Demand towing at their expense(?). If they fail to settle it just instantly complain to BMW customer service (it's an official BMW service that has failed, I presume).
Though that but is job warranty/refixing available even if car is not under official warranty? Cant find any job warrant on their official website
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 04:19 PM   #11
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Though that but is job warranty/refixing available even if car is not under official warranty? Cant find any job warrant on their official website
I see it on their order/receipt paper (the back side ). Also, it's the law where I'm stuck. Is your country that wild there's no customer rights warranty or is it just you who's not aware?

Also, query your local BMW customer service (if it's an official BMW service, again) - are there contacts on their website?

And by the way, primarily, in fact , did the service reject your claim? Address them first of all. You might need no pressure on them actually.

Last edited by No one; 01-13-2019 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 11:19 AM   #12
emil111
Second Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW 114d

Quote:
browse through your receipts,you most certaintly have a warranty on any job done by the dealer,thats what differentiates a dealership from any corner mechanic....oh and the coffee,they do have very good coffee

Quote:
I see it on their order/receipt paper (the back side ). Is your country that wild there's no customer rights warranty or is it just you who's not aware?
LOL
Daewoo Nubira II
Appreciate 0