BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Unknown wires in glove box & android auto help

04-21-2023, 06:59 AM   #1
RohanAndre
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1 Series 2012

Unknown wires in glove box & android auto help

Hi all,

I've got a 2012 1 Series imported from Japan (I'm in the UK) that I bought about a month ago now. I want to upgrade the screen to use android auto and have been looking into the different options although it's hard to know what's right! Anyway whilst investigating I found these two wires in the back of the glove box. I've got no idea what they are for but I assume they are additional functionality? My car doesn't presently have Bluetooth or a USB slot. It does not have steering wheel controls either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Rohan
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 10:54 PM   #2
DeanG
Rep
Drives: 11-523 09-X5 12-116 07-325

Welcome to a world of pain, I too am looking for a car play / Android Auto unit for my daughters F20 116i. Ordered a unit that said it supported CIC, only to find out the connections on the head unit are NBT, it uses the 6 pin LVDS cable, not the 4 pin one that is used by the CIC. I am in dialogue with them, and have suggested they use the VIN number to see exactly what has been installed. At best, I have found that its a BMW ENTRY system , so non nav but uses CIC head unit and an NBT display. Its a clusterf.....They are sending me an NBT system, fingers crossed....
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 03:25 AM   #3
RohanAndre
Registered
Rep

I've been wracking my brain over this, I have a feeling we're in the same boat and I have an NBT system too. I'm thinking of buying a relatively cheaper one from Ali express just to give that a go. None of the YouTube videos I've seen about doing the installation have those two wires in the glove box already though so god knows what's going on there. Let me know how you get on!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 10:54 AM   #4
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 116I F20

I fitted a cheap Android unit (£200) from Aliexpress which does support AA although I've only had it working with a cable from my phone.

My 2014 116i has a BMW Professional Radio with a Champ2 HU. Although the display looks like CIC, the connector is the 6pin NBT type and the Andoid screen says NBT inside it.

I did remove the original and check which type of LVDS connector was fitted to make sure the seller was going to send me the correct unit.

I fitted a double USB socket unit to the panel below the heater which connects to the units wiring so I can plug in my phone for charging as well as AA etc.

I had a problem with 4g due to the sim slot connector failing but the seller sent me a replacement which I will fit this weekend.

My main complaint is that the BT implementation is not compatible with the BT OBD dongles I have tried so I can't get BimmerTools nor the Torque app to work.

I have no connectors in my glovebox.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 01:18 PM   #5
RohanAndre
Registered
Rep

Do you have a link for the USB unit? That'd be really useful to install as well.

I bought the carly device and on the app it's showing that my head unit is running CIC but from my research it seems to be an NBT unit so I need to check the connectors. I'm a newbie in terms of car DIY so I want to know make sure I know exactly what I'm doing and where everything goes before dismantling it all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 07:49 PM   #6
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Regarding the wires, "officially" there can be two things in the glove box: a USB socket and an Integrated Navigation. Also, in immediate vicinity, there can be a power socket and a light in the passenger footwell.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 03:26 AM   #7
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 116I F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanAndre View Post
Do you have a link for the USB unit? That'd be really useful to install as well.

I bought the carly device and on the app it's showing that my head unit is running CIC but from my research it seems to be an NBT unit so I need to check the connectors. I'm a newbie in terms of car DIY so I want to know make sure I know exactly what I'm doing and where everything goes before dismantling it all.
This is the one I fitted. Both cables just plugged into the existing Android USB cables.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113874928064
Appreciate 0