BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Might finally gravitate away from BMW

11-22-2023, 08:40 PM   #67
Housekeeping
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Buy a 911, will depreciate about 10 in 5 years. Better car, way better looking too.
Appreciate 1
chassis6554.00
      11-22-2023, 10:02 PM   #68
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I almost bought a 991.2 Turbo but the M5 is a better fit for me as a primary driver at this point in my life. I would have driven the 911 half as much as the M5. Both would be ideal.
Appreciate 1
chassis6554.00
      11-23-2023, 11:27 AM   #69
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Didn't read all the comments so maybe it's been said.

I've been looking at stuff to replace the Cayenne in 2025 when CPO runs out. I love my model 3 so I went to look at the model x and the model s. However I saw the BS $749/mo lease deals being advertised for Lucid and while I don't lease I decided to go check it out.

Honestly... while I love the look of the interior... the car felt like total horseshit compared to the Teslas. I reaaaaaallly wanted to like it but apart from the interior looks I don't think I liked a single thing about it. Didn't help half the stuff broke or didn't work during the test drive. IMO they have a long way to go before it's ready for prime time.

Also $1500/mo doesn't seem like a good deal to me. Unless you were getting an exotic or something. Reminds me of a story from one of my jobs a long time ago...

Company was being sued or something. CEO calls all the directors/dept heads to a meeting about the issue. I recall he said something along the lines of it's costing us $1500 a month or a day or something... then he says that's a lot of money... that's like a car payment. Afterward everyone was laughing like sure buddy, that's more than most of our mortgage payments. Now this was probably 15+ years ago so....
Appreciate 3
Alfisti6502.50
///MPhatic13862.50
chassis6554.00
      11-23-2023, 11:44 AM   #70
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
$30K to drive a car for 18 months. Hard pass. Jesus.
And that's for 15,000 per year in . . . New York City, for the OP.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 12:11 AM   #71
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Oh dear..... that damn "1% rule" being thrown around again? I thought that had been debunked, but it seems people are still using it.

The "1% rule" is an outdated, defunct guideline. In reality what constitutes a good deal on any particular car is based on so many factors - timing, regional dealer discounts, incentives you may or may not qualify for, and lease support in the form of residual values and money factor.

For example... on a car which is currently offered with numerous incentives, high residuals, low money factors - a "good" deal might be something like 0.7% of MSRP. In this case the "1% rule" is actually a BAD deal. But holding on to this "1% rule" you'd be fooled into thinking you scored a good deal when more savvy shoppers around you are getting it at 0.7% of MSRP.

On the other hand, a car which might typically lease at 1.5% of MSRP, 1% is probably unrealistic and a "good" deal would be something like 1.25%. But because you're stuck on this "1% rule", you're excluding this particular car from consideration.

In addition to that, not everyone qualifies for every incentive. If someone doesn't qualify for loyalty incentive - does that preclude them from certain brands because they're incapable of scoring a "1% deal" due to their lack of incentive qualification?

On some cars 1% could be a good deal or it could be a bad deal - it's entirely dependent upon what a car is currently typically leasing at in your region, during a given period in time. But aiming for that 1% target is a short sighted approach, and it seriously needs to go away.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 12:20 AM   #72
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Oh dear..... that damn "1% rule" being thrown around again? I thought that had been debunked, but it seems people are still using it.

The "1% rule" is an outdated, defunct guideline. In reality what constitutes a good deal on any particular car is based on so many factors - timing, regional dealer discounts, incentives you may or may not qualify for, and lease support in the form of residual values and money factor.

For example... on a car which is currently offered with numerous incentives, high residuals, low money factors - a "good" deal might be something like 0.7% of MSRP. In this case the "1% rule" is actually a BAD deal. But holding on to this "1% rule" you'd be fooled into thinking you scored a good deal when more savvy shoppers around you are getting it at 0.7% of MSRP.

On the other hand, a car which might typically lease at 1.5% of MSRP, 1% is probably unrealistic and a "good" deal would be something like 1.25%. But because you're stuck on this "1% rule", you're excluding this particular car from consideration.

In addition to that, not everyone qualifies for every incentive. If someone doesn't qualify for loyalty incentive - does that preclude them from certain brands because they're incapable of scoring a "1% deal" due to their lack of incentive qualification?

On some cars 1% could be a good deal or it could be a bad deal - it's entirely dependent upon what a car is currently typically leasing at in your region, during a given period in time. But aiming for that 1% target is a short sighted approach, and it seriously needs to go away.
Good thing there’s more than one car out there. If the deal sucks, buy it instead or find another car. Nowhere did I say 1% is the best deal possible. Rule 1 of buying/leasing a car - do some damn research.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 06:12 AM   #73
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Good thing there’s more than one car out there. If the deal sucks, buy it instead or find another car. Nowhere did I say 1% is the best deal possible. Rule 1 of buying/leasing a car - do some damn research.
You said anything over 1% and "you're getting hosed". That's not necessarily true. What constitutes a "good deal" vs. a "bad deal" varies by car.

Now if you want to talk in general terms and say I'll buy whatever shitbox I can get my hands on regardless of if it meets my personal needs/desires or not, as long as it meets the 1% rule, then sure. But even in that situation, 1% doesn't automatically mean it's a good deal on that particular car if people are typically able to achieve 0.7%. In that case 1% would actually be overpaying.

The "1% rule" is fundamentally flawed. I can agree with you on the "do some damn research" part. The entire goal is to see what others are paying for the same car, around the same timeframe and general region as you - to give you a sense of what's possible.

Here's something to blow your mind - The same car can simultaneously be a good deal and a bad deal at 1%, depending on who's leasing.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 05:26 PM   #74
buddenfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Didn't read all the comments so maybe it's been said.

I've been looking at stuff to replace the Cayenne in 2025 when CPO runs out. I love my model 3 so I went to look at the model x and the model s. However I saw the BS $749/mo lease deals being advertised for Lucid and while I don't lease I decided to go check it out.

Honestly... while I love the look of the interior... the car felt like total horseshit compared to the Teslas. I reaaaaaallly wanted to like it but apart from the interior looks I don't think I liked a single thing about it. Didn't help half the stuff broke or didn't work during the test drive. IMO they have a long way to go before it's ready for prime time.

Also $1500/mo doesn't seem like a good deal to me. Unless you were getting an exotic or something. Reminds me of a story from one of my jobs a long time ago...

Company was being sued or something. CEO calls all the directors/dept heads to a meeting about the issue. I recall he said something along the lines of it's costing us $1500 a month or a day or something... then he says that's a lot of money... that's like a car payment. Afterward everyone was laughing like sure buddy, that's more than most of our mortgage payments. Now this was probably 15+ years ago so....
I mean you wont find any exotic at this price
Im paying $1580 for my 2021 X6M comp
I teste drove the Lucid Air Touring last weekend to to be honest wasnt as impressed as I was with the Tesla Plaid

Likely gonna go for an IX M60 as my next car
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 06:20 PM   #75
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddenfan View Post
I mean you wont find any exotic at this price
Im paying $1580 for my 2021 X6M comp
I teste drove the Lucid Air Touring last weekend to to be honest wasnt as impressed as I was with the Tesla Plaid

Likely gonna go for an IX M60 as my next car
True, even my model 3 is like $800ish/mo with a normal rate on a 60mo loan.

I guess my mind is in like permanent before times. I don't know if that's what happens when you get old, but I feel prices of everything are crazy because back in my day... a whole 5 years ago or so... I could get that for 1/2 the price!
Appreciate 0