BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Announces Digital Key Support for iPhone to Lock, Unlock, Drive and Share Keys

06-23-2020, 01:44 PM   #89
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
Maybe I am in a minority here, but I don’t want this on my vehicle.
Eventhe Comfort Access gives opportunity to thieves.
Not to mention I have a phone because I work and I need it, but once I am in holiday or I am out or I will retire, there will be no phone for me anymore.

Keep a damn form of a key that is safe and secure.
What about relay car thefts? The traditional key fob has weaknesses (which are now being addressed of course).
      06-23-2020, 04:02 PM   #90
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

im all for tech that makes me carry less stuff around. everytime i leave the house its keys, wallet, cell. Even if you have android/google pay, you still have to take your drivers license and therefor wallet.

maybe one day they'll give us an option for a digital driver's license.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 04:25 PM   #91
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWinMD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
A lot of misinformation in this thread.

First off, this is an iOS feature. They did not announce a new iPhone. If you upgrade to iOS 14 when it is out, you should get this feature.

Next, as far as the availability on the new 540i, I took that as just a product placement thing - BMW took the opportunity to promote the new car. Clearly this feature will work with cars that support the Digital Key spec.

BMW implements CCC digital key 2.0. Pretty much every car manufacturer under the sun is collaborating on this tech (except maybe Tesla, who has been doing this for awhile without using a standard). It does require NFC - you have to hold your phone near the handle, and as shown you have to put your phone in a tray to start the car.

Digital Key 3.0, which uses Bluetooth Low energy, was announced in October 2019. This allows for features like leaving your phone in your pocket to start, and the car unlocking on approach. New cars like the Polestar 2 support this.

I mean, I guess it's possible that the new BMWs have version 3.0 but the procedure shown with the tray and all is clearly version 2.0.

As far as the July cutoff - I wonder if BMW is just switching from Digital Key 1.0 to 2.0 during this period, or if they have some other explanation.

https://carconnectivity.org/wp-conte...hite-Paper.pdf

https://carconnectivity.org/wp-conte...al_Key_2.0.pdf
Up front, I'll acknowledge that I'm not an expert on the technology.

BMW's own marketing material states that "The following devices are compatible with BMW Digital Key: iPhone XR, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE (2nd generation) and Apple Watch Series 5. BMW Digital Key will require the upcoming iOS 13.6 and WatchOS 6.2.8."

It reads (and yes it's marketing material and could be wrong) as if you need the correct hardware and iOS version to use the feature.

https://www.bmw.com/en/innovation/bm...w-car-key.html

I did a search for a list of iPhones compatible with CarKey, and Apple doesn't seem to provide one, nor does one appear in their support forums.

The 9-to-5 website believes, based on the availability of NFC in iPhone 7 and up, that CarKey should be compatible with those phones, but that's all. (An article from 5 Feb 2020 - https://9to5mac.com/2020/02/05/new-c...-nfc-car-keys/)

I've got a MY2021 M550 in the production queue now, so I'll hit up my CA and see what he knows about it, but I'm guessing that for the moment he'll only have the marketing material to reference.
Yes, I think that narrows in on Digital Key 1.0: app based implementation (though device needs NFC), to Digital Key 2.0: smart device native, standardized auth.

As far as BMWs CarKey, it would be up to the app to know which devices have the functionality it needs, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 04:52 PM   #92
TomWinMD
Tom W
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 (G30) 550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
What about relay car thefts? The traditional key fob has weaknesses (which are now being addressed of course).
I keep my fobs in faraday bags at home.

Tom

2003 E65 745i | 2011 F10 550i | 2021 G30 M550xi
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 04:55 PM   #93
TomWinMD
Tom W
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Yes, I think that narrows in on Digital Key 1.0: app based implementation (though device needs NFC), to Digital Key 2.0: smart device native, standardized auth.

As far as BMWs CarKey, it would be up to the app to know which devices have the functionality it needs, I guess.
I spoke to my CA, and the post here on Bimmerpost with the announcement from BMW was a first heard for him, so no additional detail available just yet.

I'll keep an eye out for whatever the manual might be able to tell us once I can access it after the car is built, but I'm not holding my breath. The feature is too new. Our friends at BMW NA haven't even updated the website yet for the MY 2021 5 series, and they announced that a month ago.

Tom

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 05:49 PM   #94
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWinMD View Post
I spoke to my CA, and the post here on Bimmerpost with the announcement from BMW was a first heard for him, so no additional detail available just yet.

I'll keep an eye out for whatever the manual might be able to tell us once I can access it after the car is built, but I'm not holding my breath. The feature is too new. Our friends at BMW NA haven't even updated the website yet for the MY 2021 5 series, and they announced that a month ago.
Yar. Would be cool to have it but as others have highlighted, what we have works great. I particularly like the approach unlock.
      06-23-2020, 05:55 PM   #95
TomWinMD
Tom W
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yar. Would be cool to have it but as others have highlighted, what we have works great. I particularly like the approach unlock.
I'm a fan of the comfort access, but I honestly won't be using the CarKey on a daily basis, if at all. I tend to leave my phone in the car for extended periods, and I'll want to know if the CarKey function can be disabled until I want it active. If not, I won't even use the feature.

It is an interesting piece of technology, and being one of those people with an IT background, I'm interested in how it will work.

Tom

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 07:35 PM   #96
chris_portimaog20
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Bmw 330xi

As much as I understand people's frustration of the key card not being compatible with pre-2021 cars, you guys won't be the one to complain that it does not work 100% of the time like the connected app.
can't go wrong with an old fashioned key. just has to be smaller
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2020, 10:28 PM   #97
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsoflurX% View Post
As much as I would love this feature, tying you access to your vehicle to software sounds like a bad idea to me. I have a Kevo smart lock and it uses' similar NFC communications, and doesn't work for month after an iOS update.

I can tell you that manufacturers won't keep up the rapid pace of the iOS platforms. Android Audio, a good example of how BMW has been slow to act on a feature that many would love to see.

I might be proven very wrong but I for one would be cautious and watch how this feature rolls out and gets supported. Time will tell if its EPIC new feature we can't live without or another failed IOT experiment.

Gotta love the future.
They'll get there but, I agree, that isn't now. The user guide for the NFC access card they provided with my M8 quite literally recommends keeping the key with you... for fucks sake. :

In addition, why the hell would I want an inferior solution to the touchless, hands-free key that I already have. This is a regression in convenience, not a step forward... yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 11:02 PM   #98
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimSimma335 View Post
I'm very confused as to how this is more convenient. Now my fob never leaves my pocket. I can lock, unlock and start my cars without ever taking something out of my pocket. I rarely even take my phone out of my pocket unless it really needs to be charged. Why would I want to have to constantly take my phone out, unlock it with Face ID, place it near the door handle then put it in the wireless charger to start the car? Then I have to remember to take it with me every time. Do you know how many times I would leave it in the car when the car was parked in the garage since I don't have lock it? I'd rather they design cases for phones that act like the fob so I can carry my phone only (no fob) the phone never has to leave my pocket either.

Unless this is using Face ID as an additional security feature. But it is not more convenient.
Hahaha, I agree completely. You guys all know that BMW is playing catchup to Tesla right? They saw Tesla use the same concept with their mobile app (except it works on Android too). In typical BMW fashion they over thought it and decided to partner with Apple instead of making it manufacture agnostic. But I guess we should be thankful they didn't limit it to being a carrier exclusive hahah.

This by no means makes the user experience better. Its more of a hassel to take out your phone, unlock, then touch the door handle. If you were in a hurry to get away from someone, you'd be dead already. Comfort Access just works 100x better. Just make it standard on every car instead of upselling it.

Oh, not available on your G20? Just lease another new car next year! Or if you bought one, take depreciation hit and buy another one to get 1 extra feature. These are the suckers BMW preys upon. This is the stuff that makes people leave the brand.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 12:36 AM   #99
lilstevie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW i5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
In typical BMW fashion they over thought it and decided to partner with Apple instead of making it manufacture agnostic. But I guess we should be thankful they didn't limit it to being a carrier exclusive hahah.

What are you basing this off? You know that BMWs thing already works on Samsung android phones right?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 02:06 AM   #100
Lordcarloso
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

How is M340 not getting this

Blows my mind that m340 isn't getting this, it literally has all the tech needed to make it happen.

I develop iOS apps on the side and my car got an update tonight so I tried activating a digital key with my phone running iOS 14 but no bite. Did notice the process has to initiate in the BMW Connected app, so I'll update when there's an app update.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 04:23 AM   #101
Sergeant Skinner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
im all for tech that makes me carry less stuff around. everytime i leave the house its keys, wallet, cell. Even if you have android/google pay, you still have to take your drivers license and therefor wallet.

maybe one day they'll give us an option for a digital driver's license.
Yeah in Australia, most states already issue digital drivers licences so that they can be accessed from Google or Apple wallets.

Along with every single bank and (in most Australian states) transport cards supporting Google and Apple Pay, there is honestly no need to carry a wallet anymore. You can even withdraw/deposit into ATMs here with Google/Apple Pay. Contactless payments have been around here for almost 10 years and is much ubiquitous so it's in our culture.

In fact, for the past year, all I've carried with me is my phone. It's been fine and quite nice really. I appreciate it's not for everyone but it's nice to know I can have one device that does everything. If I lose it, no one else can get in due to Face ID.

The car key is the last thing I carry other then my phone... but then again it's a nice key 😎
Appreciate 1
Humdizzle6018.00
      06-24-2020, 06:22 AM   #102
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by emulajavi View Post
7 Series G11 was launched in late 2015. It had all the hardware required (iDrive 5, wireless charging, WiFi, etc) for wireless carplay.... but BMW set the ARBITRARY date of AFTER JULY 2016.... for CarPlay compatibility.

So the 7 Series from launch date on 2015 to June-2016... aren't officially compatible with CarPlay and CarPlay can't be added from the ConnectedDrive Store even though the car is compatible and has the SAME hardware than the one a July 2016 7 Series had. CarPlay can be enabled via coding (like the ID6 Ui can also be enabled via coding) and works flawlessly.

So it seems BMW is doing this again.... No matter wether they launched with ID7 a feature called 'Remote Software Updates' .... that seem to mean nothing for them. They still don't update anything on older cars. They set arbitrary dates for software-only features ignoring wether past cars have all the compatible hardware.
And BMW worries about Tesla eating their lunch.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2020, 07:30 AM   #103
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Have we seen a conclusive statement that it won't work for cars built before 1st July?

Could just be when they are pushing the latest software from the factory which could be rolled out OTA at a later date.

Would be nice to have it as a backup, but the key works better for me in most cases as it unlocks/locks automatically. Digitial Key card is there if I don't want to carry the key.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 07:41 AM   #104
DBV1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5d 2021 Tesla S

https://apple.news/AUOT66LiISDi5A19gtCKSTg
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 07:43 AM   #105
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
Could be related to a new part regarding Comfort Access option (SA 322) or Connected Drive Services (SA 6AE).

With BMW, anything is possible. I'm shocked that cars that have the iDrive 7 wireless charging won't have this— looking at the 8 series iPhone owners.

Maybe a retro fit part? Doubt it could be coded due to the security.

I just checked my spec sheet for my March built G21 and it has 322 & 6AE. Wait and see I guess.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 10:16 AM   #106
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
Could be worse, the X3/X4/X3M/X4M models are not supported even after 7/1/20 SOP.

Edit: The 7 series is also omitted as supported models.
the X3 and 7 series are currently BMWs oldest tech cars from component POV. With the 7 already having gone through LCI and on its way to EOL i don't expect any change there....

However, with the X3/X4 LCI around the corner for next year my guess is they will be the headline vehicles for version 3.0 launch where the phone can stay in pocket as a fob
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 11:01 AM   #107
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimSimma335 View Post
I'm very confused as to how this is more convenient. Now my fob never leaves my pocket. I can lock, unlock and start my cars without ever taking something out of my pocket. I rarely even take my phone out of my pocket unless it really needs to be charged. Why would I want to have to constantly take my phone out, unlock it with Face ID, place it near the door handle then put it in the wireless charger to start the car? Then I have to remember to take it with me every time. Do you know how many times I would leave it in the car when the car was parked in the garage since I don't have lock it? I'd rather they design cases for phones that act like the fob so I can carry my phone only (no fob) the phone never has to leave my pocket either.

Unless this is using Face ID as an additional security feature. But it is not more convenient.
So little to add to the most astute observation on the subject.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 12:03 PM   #108
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbs73 View Post
I just checked my spec sheet for my March built G21 and it has 322 & 6AE. Wait and see I guess.
BMW doesn't necessarily change the option code when it changes the underlying hardware; e.g. the HUD option code has been 610 for at least the last 7-8 years, but it had several revisions since.

So while those two might be requirement on cars produced after 7/2020, it doesn't automatically mean having them on earlier cars will work.

Though again, I wouldn't rule out BMW just arbitrarily deciding that, even though the hardware is the same, newer cars won't get it. The fact that they will upgrade iDrive7 to Android Auto for earlier cars via RSU still leaves a bit of hope at least.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 12:06 PM   #109
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I believe that permanent communication between the car and key is not necessary.
The key should emit a RF signal only when a button is pressed and never without.
It is true that it will not have the comfort access or non contact for start/stop but it will be safer.
You need to have the key anyway, what is so hard to put it into the slot?
That's why Comfort Access vehicles are vulnerable.

Or, put a On/Off switch on the remote.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 12:20 PM   #110
havenyoung
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
BMW doesn't necessarily change the option code when it changes the underlying hardware; e.g. the HUD option code has been 610 for at least the last 7-8 years, but it had several revisions since.

So while those two might be requirement on cars produced after 7/2020, it doesn't automatically mean having them on earlier cars will work.

Though again, I wouldn't rule out BMW just arbitrarily deciding that, even though the hardware is the same, newer cars won't get it. The fact that they will upgrade iDrive7 to Android Auto for earlier cars via RSU still leaves a bit of hope at least.
Yeah the 07/2020 update seems pretty significant. I'm still holding some hope.
I mean I was really surprised when my 2019 G20 was able to get drive recorder, given that there was rumor of upgraded hardware in later builds.
If it doesn't end up getting CarKey support, then at least I can still look forward to future models that can utilize the UWB chip.
Appreciate 0