BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW European Delivery Program Ending for North American Customers!

05-05-2020, 01:01 PM   #67
Wiles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.5i MSport manual, 2020X3M

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Terrible news.

At least I got to experience it 4 times .
I did Euro Delivery in 2007 self 335i Coupe, then again 2008 with my brother for his 335i Coupe. Took the wife in 2010 for a 135i and back again in 2011 for a Z4 3.5i. Some of the best driving of my life.

I miss touring Germany and would have gone back again but my current drives are from Spartanburg, X3 M40i and X3M.

Still have the Z4 too. Had hoped to get the next M3 however I picked up the X3M after seeing the nose in spy photos. I would have loved to go again. Maybe a 918 to replace the Z4?
Attached Images

Last edited by Wiles; 05-06-2020 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25044.00
Poochie9097.50
      05-05-2020, 01:03 PM   #68
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
I am making an assumption as to the catalyst behind the abandonment of the program, however nothing partisan was said.

Why do you think the program was canceled?
Right. CCP Virus

Ok moving on here because I lack the capacity to care about this any longer, here was the reason as posted by another member, Ibiza.

European Program to Begin Phasing Out Operations in May

As the global market has evolved and BMW NA sales volumes have shifted more heavily towards SAVs during the past serval years, the Performance Center Delivery in Spartanburg, South Carolina has seen continuing growth. Since its beginning in 1999, Performance Center Delivery has grown to more than 28,000 vehicle deliveries, while European Delivery, which has delivered approximately 30,000 vehicles since the 1970s, has experienced a significant decline in participation. Although BMW NA has historically represented an average of 2,000 European Deliveries annually, such deliveries have declined in recent years to under 500. Based on these trends and long-term evaluation, BMW Group will end the European Delivery Program in 2020 and cease accepting reservations as of May 18, 2020.
Those are factors as well, but you're being disingenuous if you don't factor in COVID, the restrictions, the plight in Europe, etc. as ADDITIONAL reasons to cancel it. Hell, Europe canceled the entire MOTOGP season because of COVID (...well, canceled until further notice; they canceled it prior to the first race due to travel restrictions and the virus). You don't think BMW considered social distancing, air travel restrictions, etc. as another reason that ED wouldn't be the best business case?!?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 01:05 PM   #69
GlazierGlaze
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi RS6

This is horribly disappointing and will 100% ensure that my next vehicle will not be a BMW. I was holding out hope that the G80 M3 would be the car to replace my F82. I was concerned that the car wouldn't look great, but was still optimistic that I would eventually like it and finally do euro delivery. This effectively seals my departure from the brand to Porsche.

This is a bucket list item for a lot of us who have not made the trip yet. I am crushed.

Last edited by GlazierGlaze; 05-05-2020 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 4
RowanBuds1707.00
bobert858.50
Germanauto9652.00
      05-05-2020, 01:11 PM   #70
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I am making an assumption as to the catalyst behind the abandonment of the program, however nothing partisan was said.

Right. CCP Virus

Ok moving on here because I lack the capacity to care about this any longer, here was the reason as posted by another member, Ibiza.

As the global market has evolved and BMW NA sales volumes have shifted more heavily towards SAVs during the past serval years, the Performance Center Delivery in Spartanburg, South Carolina has seen continuing growth. Since its beginning in 1999, Performance Center Delivery has grown to more than 28,000 vehicle deliveries, while European Delivery, which has delivered approximately 30,000 vehicles since the 1970s, has experienced a significant decline in participation. Although BMW NA has historically represented an average of 2,000 European Deliveries annually, such deliveries have declined in recent years to under 500. Based on these trends and long-term evaluation, BMW Group will end the European Delivery Program in 2020 and cease accepting reservations as of May 18, 2020.
Those are factors as well, but you're being disingenuous if you don't factor in COVID, the restrictions, the plight in Europe, etc. as ADDITIONAL reasons to cancel it. Hell, Europe canceled the entire MOTOGP season because of COVID (...well, canceled until further notice; they canceled it prior to the first race due to travel restrictions and the virus). You don't think BMW considered social distancing, air travel restrictions, etc. as another reason that ED wouldn't be the best business case?!?
That wasn't his point. COVID probably accelerated the cancelling of this program though, that's all.

I'm also quite disappointed about this. I bought my last 2 BMWs through the military program which means I was ineligible to do the ED program.

Since BMW also cancelled that program, my next BMW was going to be via the ED program.

Between this and the butt ugly G8X, I really have reason to continue my business with BMW for a while.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2020, 01:13 PM   #71
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Right. CCP Virus

That wasn't his point. COVID probably accelerated the cancelling of this program though, that's all.
I agree, and that's how I interpreted the other member's statement. It just seemed like pz619 wrote off COVID as a consideration at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 01:14 PM   #72
///bproden
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I was considering purchasing the new m3 only to do a ED again. Without that option, I don't think I would purchase another one. It really made the experience of buying a bmw such a special event. I'm sure this will hurt them more than they realize long term.
bobert858.50
      05-05-2020, 01:14 PM   #73
Jason60051
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Never did a euro delivery...never really had the itch or intention to. I understand some of the disappointment but this won't keep me from purchasing another bmw nor 95% of bmw buyers. Auto industry is changing on a daily basis...pre covid and post covid. I'm not sure why this is a surprise to many of you who follow Motorsport and see what is happening around the world in these covid times.
Ibiza3447.50
      05-05-2020, 01:14 PM   #74
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.77]
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro* View Post
Damn that sucks big time! I'm glad I've done my 2 Euro Deliveries, and it was truly one of the most amazing experiences of my life!

I've worked with BMW Canada on their ED program last year, and I know for a fact that BMW looses a lot of money on the Euro Delivery programs. So probably combined with COVID, this just doesn't make financial sense right now. It is also a sad day for everybody involved with Euro Delivery programs, I've met a lot of people behind the scenes who make this program possible, can't imagine how difficult it will be for them....
It's a fat write-off for BMW, and it gives BMW an opportunity to inject their brand deeply, making it truly a purchase experience of a lifetime.
sq86363.00
      05-05-2020, 01:15 PM   #75
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///bproden View Post
I was considering purchasing the new m3 only to do a ED again. Without that option, I don't think I would purchase another one. It really made the experience of buying a bmw such a special event. I'm sure this will hurt them more than they realize long term.
Well they already had more than a 75% drop off rate. What more hurt could they experience?!?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 01:16 PM   #76
infamousq
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ford Raptor

Dang, I was looking forward to an LCI M5 Euro delivery late fall.....
2002 M5 Carbon Black (sold) should have never sold her
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 01:17 PM   #77
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason60051 View Post
Never did a euro delivery...never really had the itch or intention to. I understand some of the disappointment but this won't keep me from purchasing another bmw nor 95% of bmw buyers. Auto industry is changing on a daily basis...pre covid and post covid. I'm not sure why this is a surprise to many of you who follow Motorsport and see what is happening around the world in these covid times.
+1

It's like people are living in a bubble.
Appreciate 2
Ibiza3447.50
      05-05-2020, 01:18 PM   #78
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.77]
Quote:
Quote:
+1

A fear based bubble currently.
      05-05-2020, 01:18 PM   #79
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Can we keep a list of everyone who says they will not be buying a BMW the next go-around because of this? Would be interesting to see how many people actually follow up on that 1,2,3 years later.

Also, if someone has the funds and willingness to buy a Porsche, that should be the only option! BMW is appealing because of its price point + fun factor. Also why Miata's are so popular. Same concept of value at a certain price point.

I am very disappointed at this news as well because ED has been on my bucket list as well. And trust me, I'm the guy who will buy a car based solely on the ownership / buying experience. But for me personally, I'm not writing off BMW just yet. Also, they still have PCD, which was a fantastic experience and hopefully with this news, BMW will further improve PCD (mainly looking to improve the museum aspect at Spartensburg)
      05-05-2020, 01:19 PM   #80
///bproden
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Well they already had more than a 75% drop off rate. What more hurt could they experience?!?
Quote:
Quote:
Since the virus hit a 75% drop off rate or prior?
      05-05-2020, 01:19 PM   #81
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Quote:
+1

A fear based bubble currently.
I agree with that as well. The media affects lemmings.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN13003.00
      05-05-2020, 01:20 PM   #82
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
Can we keep a list of everyone who says they will not be buying a BMW the next go-around because of this? Would be interesting to see how many people actually follow up on that 1,2,3 years later.

Also, if someone has the funds and willingness to buy a Porsche, that should be the only option! BMW is appealing because of its price point + fun factor. Also why Miata's are so popular. Same concept of value at a certain price point.

I am very disappointed at this news as well because ED has been on my bucket list as well. And trust me, I'm the guy who will buy a car based solely on the ownership / buying experience. But for me personally, I'm not writing off BMW just yet. Also, they still have PCD, which was a fantastic experience and hopefully with this news, BMW will further improve PCD (mainly looking to improve the museum aspect at Spartensburg)
I have a running thread/poll about it, but I know not everybody who claims they will defect actually will.
Appreciate 2
JCZ51482.50
Ibiza3447.50
      05-05-2020, 01:21 PM   #83
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
It'll be back. Just a Covid response
I sincerely doubt that; BMW has been cutting-cost, ever since I knew them.

So it's not surprising that this extravagant expense is next on the chopping block.

I'm frankly surprise it survived this long but I guess Covid was the last nail on the coffin.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24703.00
///M TOWN13003.00
bobert858.50
      05-05-2020, 01:22 PM   #84
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:

This isn't reason in of itself, it's another nail in the coffin though.

Coffin grills that is...
Appreciate 4
///M TOWN13003.00
Poochie9097.50
      05-05-2020, 01:22 PM   #85
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Since the virus hit a 75% drop off rate or prior?
I would wager prior. This cancelation was coming regardless.
Appreciate 1
bobert858.50
      05-05-2020, 01:23 PM   #86
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.77]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
It'll be back. Just a Covid response
I sincerely doubt that, BMW has been cutting cost, every since I knew them.

So it's not surprising this extravagant expense is next on the chopping block.

I'm frankly surprise it survived this long, I guess Covid was the last nail on the coffin.
The first thing I did was think of Porsche.
Attached Images

bobert858.50
      05-05-2020, 01:26 PM   #87
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Quote:

This isn't reason in of itself, it's another nail in the coffin though.

Coffin grills that is...
Yeah, I understand and the grill has been through much debate. But people complain every time a new generation is released, we have threads proving this...

At first I hated the grill as well. But honestly, it's starting to grow on me and I think it's kinda awesome. But that's just me personally. But I also think I am BMW's target demographic for better or worse.
      05-05-2020, 01:26 PM   #88
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Quote:
I agree, and that's how I interpreted the other member's statement. It just seemed like pz619 wrote off COVID as a consideration at all.
Not the intent. Originally had 2 points, but maybe was not clear to all.

1. Pointing out Coronavirus may not be the reason or the sole contributor on why the program was cancelled. BMWs statement that came out later in the thread supports this. Did Covid19 help put the final nail in the coffin? Yeah, probably.
2. Referencing it to as the CCP Virus is clearly politicizing the virus, which is fine if you have that opinion, but it belongs in the politics section.
Appreciate 3
Jockey3434.50
Sedan_Clan24703.00
Pauleebe379.50