BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > 2020 BMW Ultimate Driving Experience

09-17-2020, 06:59 PM   #45
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I just signed up for the SoCal UDE.
Me too. What day? I signed up for the autocross on 10/19
Same here! Looks like I'll see you there.
Appreciate 1
MFNATIK3487.00
      09-17-2020, 07:02 PM   #46
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Alright, time for some of that In N Out hahaha.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24703.00
      09-17-2020, 07:03 PM   #47
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Finally! About damn time. Lol!
Appreciate 1
MFNATIK3487.00
      09-17-2020, 08:08 PM   #48
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
In San Diego right? They haven't emailed yet about the other locations.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 08:09 PM   #49
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:
In San Diego right? They haven't emailed yet about the other locations.
I received an invite for the L.A area (...Santa Anita).
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 09:30 PM   #50
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wtf. I did the event there last year. I'll have to check why I didn't get an email yet.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24703.00
      09-18-2020, 12:50 PM   #51
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

What does the M specific event entail? I see it's only gonna happen a couple days for a couple evening time slots.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 12:52 PM   #52
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.75]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf View Post
So, did anyone who attended the recent UDE events get the OL code?
Yes, I attended the FedEx field event and got my OL code one day after
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 01:04 PM   #53
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuibmw View Post
Yes, I attended the FedEx field event and got my OL code one day after
yeah...i couldnt even show up at the event due to competing priorities at home, and the passport BMW sales guy called me every day for a week and a half trying to get me to use my code.

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 08:41 PM   #54
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Signed up for Atlanta tomorrow morning and came here to check out how they're doing things with COVID. Ugh...sounds like it may be disappointing and I have my wife and a few friends signed up to go with me. Was really looking forward to us all being able to compare times after.

Had a great experience at the Performance Center a couple years ago, and did the Porsche experience this summer which was also great (drive solo, coach either standing outside or lead-follow), so I figured BMW would pull off something similar. Granted Porsche was the normal paid experience.

We live close enough and it looks like great weather, but hoping they at least let us push the cars a bit.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 09:49 PM   #55
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
Signed up for Atlanta tomorrow morning and came here to check out how they're doing things with COVID. Ugh...sounds like it may be disappointing and I have my wife and a few friends signed up to go with me. Was really looking forward to us all being able to compare times after.

Had a great experience at the Performance Center a couple years ago, and did the Porsche experience this summer which was also great (drive solo, coach either standing outside or lead-follow), so I figured BMW would pull off something similar. Granted Porsche was the normal paid experience.

We live close enough and it looks like great weather, but hoping they at least let us push the cars a bit.
You're more looking for BMW Track Days, where you get to drive most M's on the track and also do skidpad and drag racing. It's a pay to play event
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 12:15 AM   #56
learntocode
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

FYI

Please note your previous registration for the BMW Ultimate Driving Experience in Los Angeles has been cancelled. But don’t worry, we are still going to be close by that week! You have the opportunity to get behind the wheel at the BMW Ultimate Driving Experience in Orange County October 17-25.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 06:33 AM   #57
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
You're more looking for BMW Track Days, where you get to drive most M's on the track and also do skidpad and drag racing. It's a pay to play event
Yeah, that would've been my preference but they cancelled the Track Days near me (Road Atlanta). Oh well, sounds like I can at least come away with a discount for an M School or something. And today should still be more fun than...IDK vacuuming the house or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 12:47 PM   #58
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just got back from Atlanta UDE. Experience was similar to what others described for DC and Boston. Lots of PPE and social distancing, felt very comfortable from a COVID perspective. Driving/coaching was via radio, just 2-3 laps in each car, and no timed laps. Felt very stripped down, but the coaches seemed to be making the most of it. 3 AX "tracks" with 16 drivers per track per time slot. No off-road demo setup. If you brought a guest from your own household, they WERE allowed to ride shotgun (I think there may have been an age limit but not sure).

Best part of the day was actually the road drives. We got there early and had our pick with no wait, and there are lots of empty roads around AMS and within the property itself, so you had room to get them going if you wanted. M850i is an absolute beast. X2 M Performance a sleeper that was better than I thought it would be. X3M Competition was zoomy but you can feel the high COG a ton. X4 M Performance surprisingly enjoyable despite being ugly AF. And had extra time to take out an M340i and actually push it beyond what AX allowed.

I also spent some time on the way out pushing my own M550i around the empty back lots and practicing launch control.

Definitely nothing like a track day or Performance Center program, but still not a bad way to spend the morning for free. Plus we got a free mask and bottle of BMW-branded hand sanitizer.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 10:30 AM   #59
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

I just did the Denver UDE on Sunday.

I agree with other reviews, - it was kind of a "Meh" event. While I enjoyed the RWD M340 around the autocross circuit, the M235 really understeered. In fact, my car came with a right front all season tire compared to the summer rubber on the other wheels - which exasperated the issue on left hand turns.

The street drives were kind of fun, I took out at least 5 vehicles. I was very surprised at the X3M - absolutely no low end grunt. Put it in Sport+ mode, Sport traction and off the line it was dead until about 2K rpm, then it took off. Handled like it was on rails though.

One highlight - I got to drive an M850 convertible, and that was really nice - and the sound! I could get used to that.

Last note - I have NOT received any OL code which is really disappointing considering that was a primary reason for signing up - I want to get my wife an X3M40 to replace her Lexus RX450h.

Overall it was just an OK event....got me out on a nice day.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9652.00
      10-10-2020, 08:53 PM   #60
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGUYinCO View Post
I just did the Denver UDE on Sunday.

I agree with other reviews, - it was kind of a "Meh" event. While I enjoyed the RWD M340 around the autocross circuit, the M235 really understeered. In fact, my car came with a right front all season tire compared to the summer rubber on the other wheels - which exasperated the issue on left hand turns.

The street drives were kind of fun, I took out at least 5 vehicles. I was very surprised at the X3M - absolutely no low end grunt. Put it in Sport+ mode, Sport traction and off the line it was dead until about 2K rpm, then it took off. Handled like it was on rails though.

One highlight - I got to drive an M850 convertible, and that was really nice - and the sound! I could get used to that.

Last note - I have NOT received any OL code which is really disappointing considering that was a primary reason for signing up - I want to get my wife an X3M40 to replace her Lexus RX450h.

Overall it was just an OK event....got me out on a nice day.
I just came back from the event in San Diego and felt similarly. I had driven the M340 last year on a dealer event test drive and was underwhelmed with the steering but found the rest of the car to be quite solid. The chassis and powertrain were great. On the autocross today I quite enjoyed the M340. The steering is still a weak point of the car, but on their course it provided me adequate information. The chassis was very well balanced, I loved getting the tail out a little yet remaining firmly planted. One of the instructors commented that the F30 generation was just plain bad in comparison.

The 235 was....mediocre at best. It's ugly and understeered a lot. Decent enough exhaust note though.

For whatever reason this location did not have any M2, M3, M4, or M5 like last year's event in Los Angeles. It was all SUVs and then an 850 sedan and cabriolet. I drove the X4M and also found there was no low end grunt which was frustrating. Steering was tight but quite artificial feeling. The Porsche Macan definitely takes the cake in this segment, but the X3/4M are definitely fun for CUVs. At their price they are a solid buy.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 11:12 AM   #61
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
I just came back from the event in San Diego and felt similarly. I had driven the M340 last year on a dealer event test drive and was underwhelmed with the steering but found the rest of the car to be quite solid. The chassis and powertrain were great. On the autocross today I quite enjoyed the M340. The steering is still a weak point of the car, but on their course it provided me adequate information. The chassis was very well balanced, I loved getting the tail out a little yet remaining firmly planted. One of the instructors commented that the F30 generation was just plain bad in comparison.

The 235 was....mediocre at best. It's ugly and understeered a lot. Decent enough exhaust note though.

For whatever reason this location did not have any M2, M3, M4, or M5 like last year's event in Los Angeles. It was all SUVs and then an 850 sedan and cabriolet. I drove the X4M and also found there was no low end grunt which was frustrating. Steering was tight but quite artificial feeling. The Porsche Macan definitely takes the cake in this segment, but the X3/4M are definitely fun for CUVs. At their price they are a solid buy.
I was also there! I have the same thoughts with you about the M340i vs M235i in terms of performance/handling. Surprisingly the two cars actually sound very similar stock to stock which is a positive for the 4cylinder M235i.

I also drove the X3M and thought it was quite solid. 100+MPH was easily achieved and to my surprise it didn't even feel like I was driving that fast! Really wish they had some more choices outside of SUVs but overall the event was great and BMW doesn't even charge a fee!

Last edited by nioh_lbbm2; 10-12-2020 at 11:26 AM..
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9652.00
      10-12-2020, 11:23 AM   #62
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
I was also there! I have the same thoughts with you about the M340i vs M235i in terms of performance/handling. Surprisingly the two cars actually sound very similar stock to stock which is a positive for the 4cylinder M235i.

I also drove the X3M and thought it was quite solid. 100+mpg was easily achieved and to my surprise it didn't even feel like I was driving that fast! Really wish they had some more choices outside of SUVs but overall the event was great and BMW doesn't even charge a fee!
Did I read that right? An X3M getting 100+mpgs?

And yes, these events should be free. They are marketing events meant to introduce and build brand loyalty. Some companies run print and TV ads, BMW focuses (at least used to, maybe they still do) on the driving experience, which they put up these events. I say this is money better spent. They used to be a whole lot better where it truly was a showcase of their total lineup. Sounds like either they've scaled it down quite a bit due to COVID or these things are on their way out.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 11:27 AM   #63
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

I know this has been asked, but not sure if answered definitively - has anyone who has attended a 2020 UDE received an OL code from BMW?

For my attendance, I did not.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 11:28 AM   #64
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Did I read that right? An X3M getting 100+mpgs?

And yes, these events should be free. They are marketing events meant to introduce and build brand loyalty. Some companies run print and TV ads, BMW focuses (at least used to, maybe they still do) on the driving experience, which they put up these events. I say this is money better spent. They used to be a whole lot better where it truly was a showcase of their total lineup. Sounds like either they've scaled it down quite a bit due to COVID or these things are on their way out.
Meant MPH

There were still plenty of vehicles to try I think it might be more that the M3/M4 are on the way out already and they're trying to entice buyers to buy current availabilities
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 11:37 AM   #65
c0bra
Commander ;)
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGUYinCO View Post
I know this has been asked, but not sure if answered definitively - has anyone who has attended a 2020 UDE received an OL code from BMW?

For my attendance, I did not.
I attended UDE at MetLife NJ in August and received $1,000 OL code by e-mail the following day. "We hope you enjoyed BMW's UDE" was the e-mail subject line.

I'm not using the code, PM me if needed.

Will also be attending UDE at Citi Field on Oct 30, assume I will get another code then.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 12:41 PM   #66
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Wtf. I did the event there last year. I'll have to check why I didn't get an email yet.
Quote:
Quote:
It looks like the Santa Anita UDE was cancelled, but the Anaheim UDE became available. I signed up for the same day again, but in Anaheim.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9652.00