BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > USAA ending their BMW Bonus Cash and Car Buying Service

09-21-2020, 11:45 PM   #1
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

USAA ending their BMW Bonus Cash and Car Buying Service

Just discovered this. USAA is ending their Bonus Cash for BMW and other manufacturers, as well as their Car Buying Service, next week on Sep 30th, 2020.

https://www.usaa.com/my/car-buying-selling/faq

There's details there. You can get a Bonus Cash certificate now, and still use it through the end of the year.

Now, PenFed (Pentagon Federal Credit Union) has the exact same service and Bonus Cash offers, also through TrueCar. Can continue to do that.

Bonus Cash is up to $4k (which it appears you don't have to use a loan or Car Buying service to get), or $11k if you go for the i3. Lots of members here have taken advantage. Use it while you can!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 01:46 PM   #2
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Over the past year, the USAA cash bonus could not be used with most of the BMW incentives. If you chose BMW incentives, the USAA bonus was $500. If you chose the "up to" $2000 USAA money you lost about an equivalent amount in BMW money. I suppose the same will hold for Penn Fed. There is no such thing as a free lunch.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 04:39 PM   #3
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Good riddance. I had to get a state regulator involved with a rate hike USAA gave an elderly family member.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 04:43 PM   #4
kaputt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT - sold

Wasn't the car buying service just outsourced to TrueCar anyway?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 05:25 PM   #5
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

USAA recently started cutting back on a bunch of their services. Their invensment division is now handled by Charles Schwabb. Their boat insurance is outsourced to Progressive. They just started offering homeowners insurance again for where I live and it is more expensive than being with the company that they outsourced me too a few years ago. I think they are having some financial difficulties due to paying out on natural disasters and the effects of COVID.
      09-22-2020, 05:41 PM   #6
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
USAA has changed quite dramatically since the 90s when I first joined. It seems they are more interested in a cash grab now compared to being much more service oriented. Interestingly, Navy Federal has continued to take very good care of me. I still do have some banking (send military retirement and disability there) and home/car insurance. I bought a home a couple years ago and they said they didn’t serve my area and pushed me to another insurance company. And as pointed out, I get boat and motorcycle insurance elsewhere because they don’t offer it. It seems like they just want to be a broker now.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 06:16 PM   #7
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputt View Post
Wasn't the car buying service just outsourced to TrueCar anyway?
The leads to the dealers that cause all the phone calls and badgering are through TrueCar. But BMW's "military" program was unique to USAA. I always asked if the customer qualified for USAA, even if they didn't use the insurance, because it was often as much as $2,000 in money they'd get that I didn't have to give them from my pocket.

TrueCar is just a Pimp organizing a bunch of prostituting dealerships and doing nothing to earn their money.

Last edited by BMWCCA1; 09-22-2020 at 09:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 11:51 AM   #8
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 MG M2 6MT, ‘15 MW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
USAA recently started cutting back on a bunch of their services. Their invensment division is now handled by Charles Schwabb. Their boat insurance is outsourced to Progressive. They just started offering homeowners insurance again for where I live and it is more expensive than being with the company that they outsourced me too a few years ago. I think they are having some financial difficulties due to paying out on natural disasters and the effects of COVID.
This x100. USAA is definitely not what it once was.
Appreciate 3
DocL1921.00
BMWGUYinCO4044.50
F32Fleet3524.50
      09-23-2020, 01:58 PM   #9
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

Been with USAA for over 37 years. I've noticed a steady decline in service and integrity.

A few years ago, we had a severe hail storm that very clearly damaged our roof, deck, fencing, siding, etc. USAA came out and promptly declined the claim, yet every one of my neighbors were getting claims approved without the adjuster even climbing on the roof - you could SEE the damage from the driveway, deck, fence, etc.

I also had a claim for a simple windshield on my BMW AH3. After being stuck in "Claims" status with no update for over 5 weeks, I just went to the BMW dealer and told them I wanted an BMW OEM windshield (I had the heads up display and wanted a BMW replacement windshield) and to bill USAA. Well - don't you know USAA calls me immediately and tells me they won't pay. I point out the claim hadn't been updated in weeks - they made an exception but told me that would be the only time.

Extremely disappointing, really. And I'm all in with them - banking, investment, car/home insurance, and life insurance. I would not recommend them today.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 05:00 PM   #10
DBV1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5d 2021 Tesla S

That is a bummer to hear. They were one of the best. US Military deserves better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGUYinCO View Post
Been with USAA for over 37 years. I've noticed a steady decline in service and integrity.

A few years ago, we had a severe hail storm that very clearly damaged our roof, deck, fencing, siding, etc. USAA came out and promptly declined the claim, yet every one of my neighbors were getting claims approved without the adjuster even climbing on the roof - you could SEE the damage from the driveway, deck, fence, etc.

I also had a claim for a simple windshield on my BMW AH3. After being stuck in "Claims" status with no update for over 5 weeks, I just went to the BMW dealer and told them I wanted an BMW OEM windshield (I had the heads up display and wanted a BMW replacement windshield) and to bill USAA. Well - don't you know USAA calls me immediately and tells me they won't pay. I point out the claim hadn't been updated in weeks - they made an exception but told me that would be the only time.

Extremely disappointing, really. And I'm all in with them - banking, investment, car/home insurance, and life insurance. I would not recommend them today.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 05:55 PM   #11
kaputt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT - sold

I'm currently active duty and have pretty much everything through USAA. I've only had to make one claim in the 7 years I've been with them, but that one went very smoothly and they were super helpful.

I have heard more and more people complaining about their service. Most are former or retired service members that are having issues. Not sure if USAA changes their level of customer service for those still active vs those separated or retired? If they do that's a huge shame as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 10:36 AM   #12
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Quote:
I'm currently active duty and have pretty much everything through USAA. I've only had to make one claim in the 7 years I've been with them, but that one went very smoothly and they were super helpful.

I have heard more and more people complaining about their service. Most are former or retired service members that are having issues. Not sure if USAA changes their level of customer service for those still active vs those separated or retired? If they do that's a huge shame as well.
I’ve been out for a while, but USAA has still been great to me. Continue hearing these bad stories about them. Kind of concerning.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 04:35 PM   #13
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
Quote:

I’ve been out for a while, but USAA has still been great to me. Continue hearing these bad stories about them. Kind of concerning.
Quote:

My recent experience. They tried to double the annual premium on a homeowners policy. The basis for that decision was that "their system" rated poorly the performance of a local fire department and said that the distance to the house was excessive. The fire department they chose was two counties away and they refused to believe what the policyholder and the local FD was telling them with regards to the the mix up. It took the state insurance commissioner to fix it.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 04:35 PM   #14
guardodoc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 e92, 1986 325e 2021 X5 40i

go to USAA and search for BMW. When you get to incentives print the coupon now. They say they won't be issuing any Starting 1 Oct , but if you print it now it's good thru end of 2020.
Appreciate 0