BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Importance of relationships (such as the one with your BMW Sales Advisor)

09-15-2020, 12:41 PM   #23
pasta
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Honestly it’s about relationships in general. I try to treat people how I want to be treated even when they are poopyheads. Sometimes it works to my benefit, sometimes it doesn’t. I just realize people do what people do.
I appreciate the fact you used the word poopyheads.

F82 ///M4 | Ducati 959 Panigale

Previous: E92 335i | E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 01:43 PM   #24
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasta View Post
I appreciate the fact you used the word poopyheads.
I also like the word nincompoops.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 02:52 PM   #25
B Watts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Wish I had a good relationship with my dealer. I brought my car in for the first time for service and got paired up with the Service Manager.

I've only had this car 3 months. Took it in 9/12 to fix a suspension clunk. Car didn't get touched till Monday. On Monday I was sent a text with a service quote of $2,300. This is to replace a front left sway bar link and to replace a right rear leaking axle but I was told they need to replace both sides even though the left isn't leaking. I accepted the quote, ordered the parts. Parts came Tuesday (today) now I'm told it'll be fixed tomorrow. I still haven't been offered a loaner. I noticed there was a 10% coupon on the dealer's website, I texted the Service Manager asking if I can use it - she ignores my question but replies saying my car will be done tomorrow. Oh BTW, my entire conversation with her has been through text - she never returns my calls!

To say I'm not impressed is an understatement. Especially for spending >$2k. If I come back for service in the future, def. won't be coming back to the Service Manager.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 04:18 PM   #26
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Watts View Post
Wish I had a good relationship with my dealer. I brought my car in for the first time for service and got paired up with the Service Manager.

I've only had this car 3 months. Took it in 9/12 to fix a suspension clunk. Car didn't get touched till Monday. On Monday I was sent a text with a service quote of $2,300. This is to replace a front left sway bar link and to replace a right rear leaking axle but I was told they need to replace both sides even though the left isn't leaking. I accepted the quote, ordered the parts. Parts came Tuesday (today) now I'm told it'll be fixed tomorrow. I still haven't been offered a loaner. I noticed there was a 10% coupon on the dealer's website, I texted the Service Manager asking if I can use it - she ignores my question but replies saying my car will be done tomorrow. Oh BTW, my entire conversation with her has been through text - she never returns my calls!

To say I'm not impressed is an understatement. Especially for spending >$2k. If I come back for service in the future, def. won't be coming back to the Service Manager.
Doesn't sound like a quality experience. Do you have alternative BMW dealers in the area? If so, try one of them.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 12:41 PM   #27
B Watts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Doesn't sound like a quality experience. Do you have alternative BMW dealers in the area? If so, try one of them.
I do. Next time I need to go to the dealer I'll give the other one a try. The Service Manager just text me (again no call) saying the tech working on my car had to go home and it won't be done till tomorrow. She finally offered a loaner at least.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 04:22 PM   #28
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Relationships mean nothing anymore. I've tried to build relationships with CAs but they move to other dealers/brands by the time I can be a repeat customer. I have yet to be able to buy two cars from the same CA. I buy two cars every three years on the lease cycle. The best you can do is be loyal to a dealership, but there's huge turnover with the sales managers/general managers too, so likely nobody even remembers or cares about you. At the end of the day, I buy from the dealership with the best price, and that's always a crapshoot. I am always surprised by who will deal and who won't - it varies with the cosmos.
2011 X5 35i BSM/Black - Retired
2011 335i Coupe Alpine White/Saddle - Retired (ED)
Appreciate 4
arashir164.00
ted99242.00
VipinLJ1936.50
Egrunt548.50
      09-17-2020, 11:34 PM   #29
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
I have great relationships with everyone at my dealer, been using them for about 9 years. My first SA was great and after he moved to FL, my second has been just as good since. The parts guys are always helpful. My sales person who has sold us 4 new BMWs always tries to find me the car I want and understands when I need to buy the needles and a haystack from another dealer. Best part is not having to work hard or at all on deals and not any BS. Like when I was finally ready to order the X7 which had to be a custom order since you can not find a hitch on any on the lot especially in my loaded build, we built it and I said give me 8% off and lets submit it, no questions and didnt even ask anyone if it was ok, and the deal was done. Everyone at the dealer knows me and I'm always chatting with them, they even don't mind when my kids come in and romp around in the showroom.

Sadly I am going to miss them, moving, and there is only 1 dealer within 30 min of my new house. The second dealer 60 min away is owned by the same dealer, so hopefully they are at least OK.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 04:46 PM   #30
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

Nice story. At my dealership, sales associates and service advisors come and go like a musical chair game.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 11:45 PM   #31
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

I've known Matt for years. He is one of a kind in a good way. Irv was to and helped being BMW ED awareness to the masses back in the 2000's. He has since passed and ED now has too.

Relationships are important but doubt most people will ever meet a BMW SA like Matt or Irv.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 03:51 AM   #32
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

if i could rake you over the coals for dealership prices on tires, i'd be your best friend as well.
      09-20-2020, 05:26 PM   #33
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

My number one contact and friendly relationship in automotive dealings is the general manager at the local tire shop. I have his cell phone number and have helped him work on his 2 bmws (e39 540i manual and a X5 with a manual) and he prioritizes me whenever I need anything, which is pretty much new rear tires every 10k miles. He has their top guy mount my tires without scratching my rims, my tires always balance 100%, and I’m always in and out quickly.

This relationship has meant way more to me than anyone at the overpriced and crappy staffed local bmw dealership!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 07:01 PM   #34
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Well said -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisina4 View Post
I was planning to send this weeks ago, but just never got around to it.

I thought it is a good idea to bring up the importance of relationships, even in places where they seem to be not that important... like buying a car. A person may think that squeezing a good deal out of BMW sales associate is a big win and that is all that is important.I may have thought like this for a short moment after I switched brands... Audi guy for 15 years... having a great relationship with my Audi SA. At that moment I thought that I would try to get a good deal out of the BMW SA... after all, I do not know him. I was then politely reminded of what I already knew from many life experiences, something I forgot in a momentary lack of judgement, i.e. relationships in life are very important.

6-7 years after I purchased my first BMW, my mother and I found my father a retirement present... 2020 X3MC. This was a result of a few autocross events from a couple of years back, when I started taking my dad with me and my daughter to the local Chicago BMW autocross chapter. At that time, we used my M550 and kept switching drivers. My father loved it so much that I knew that eventually we needed to get him his own autocross ready vehicle.

So about 3 weeks ago, my father came by my house and as he was pulling on my driveway I right away saw a huge screw in his front tire.... I walked around the car and saw another one in the rear tire. Both tires could not be fixed as screws were in the last part of the thread, right by the sidewall. All this happened on Friday night, right before Sunday’s autocross event that my dad was going to take his new, just broken in, car. I called Knauz BMW parts... tires are on backorder... called other dealers... same story... checked with Tire Rack... backordered... all this was a clear sign that we would not be going anywhere on Sunday.

Saturday morning I called my SA, Matt. What followed is a true testament to what relationships are about... Matt spoke with Knauz’s used car manager whose wife purchased X4MC and swapped factory Conti’s for all season tires. The Conti’s were stored at the dealership... Matt got their OK to give me 2 of their tires... Yes, I would reimburse them once I was able to purchase new ones. At the same time, a BMW tech, Sami, whom Matt recommended a while ago and someone I have been working with for the last 4-5 years, happened to be at Knauz working on his car. Sami paused working on his ride and clocked in to replace the tires. All this happened in a 2 hour time frame.
Next day my dad and I went to the Sears Center Arena and had a blast autocrossing.

To me, during current hard times, everything that happened makes it even more important/special.

Matt Pudlo is a true BMW enthusiast, true friend and someone any BMW owner can rely on... and I am glad to have met him along my life path.
SO very well said - well done.
      09-20-2020, 07:01 PM   #35
h2k4
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

In theory, having a good relationship and maintaining one is a good thing but boy, do some places make it difficult. I recently bought a BMW in a different city from my home. They forgot to give me some items that were listed on the spec sheet, like the wheel lock key. Going on a month now of being 'nice' and being told the parts have been ordered yet I haven't received anything and they are completely blowing me off now. It's such a nominal amount but the dishonesty is what really is bothering me. Of course, BMW corporate can't do anything for me. Frustrating experience for a 1st time BMW owner.
Appreciate 0