BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Front doors rattling noise

06-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
aiya78
Rep
Drives: F20 116d Sport

Front doors rattling noise

Hi all!
The rattling noise was coming from both driver and passenger windows.
And they were replaced last week but the noise is coming again.
Is it a repetitive problem?
Is there any solution to fix it by my self?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

worth trying gummi pflege (worked for my windows)?
      06-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

They had this clear tape that pretty much solves the problem. Dealer put it on for me free of charge.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 03:06 AM   #4
ripkord
First time owner
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F46 Gran Tourer, C220 AMG

Any definitive solution for this, mines sounds like there's a small bit of plastic or something rattling off the door - tried greasing up the door catches to no avail - popping out to halfords to get some autoglym stuff to see if I can treat the rubber - cant see how the rubber could be making this noise though (although by all other accounts I have read here and other forums this is the root cause??) Very strange. Anyone got an explanation?
      07-01-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

The e46 was plagued by a rattle that was caused by the windows creaking against the seals, got worse in Summer. If the 1 has the same problem it's amazing to think BMW still haven't got this right.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #6
steve1975l
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F20 116d ED

Mine rattles too and when you push the arm rest area it goes away. It sounds like something is loose inside the door and only does it on hot days.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
ripkord
First time owner
Scotland
Rep

I think (not had much of chance to test it thoroughly) that the autoglym rubber and vinyl care has improved it - cant say for sure if it has eradicated it. Will report back. As I mentioned earlier a load of people are reporting that its to do with the rubber seals either round the door or round the window itself. I don't really understand the logic, but who am I to argue if people are fixing this by greasing up their rubbery bits
      07-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
aiya78
Rep

I went to the service and the mechanic has changed the sill around the windows and applied tapes around them. But the sound was coming again since the very day when I picked it up!!

I applied gummi pflege but the noise is still coming from the windows. I attached fabric tapes around the windows but the result is same as gummi pflege.

I am really desperate!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
nicvw
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 125i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1975l View Post
Mine rattles too and when you push the arm rest area it goes away. It sounds like something is loose inside the door and only does it on hot days.
I have the same thing. BMW put their tape on the doorframe but it had no effect.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 03:20 AM   #10
ripkord
First time owner
Scotland
Rep

Yeah I still have the issue, but it doesn't go away if I wind the window down slightly (which is one of the indicators that it has something to do with the seal apparently).

Any ideas guys?
      07-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
phil3103
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 / E46M3

Is this gummi pfledge stuff people are talking about the genuine BMW product? I had all sorts of issues with my doors. Bought a bottle from BMW (about £36 for 50ml) and applied it liberally. My car is now totally silent.

Away this week but will dig out the part number when I get home on Saturday if anyone's interested?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 03:56 AM   #12
nicvw
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 125i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil3103 View Post
Is this gummi pfledge stuff people are talking about the genuine BMW product? I had all sorts of issues with my doors. Bought a bottle from BMW (about £36 for 50ml) and applied it liberally. My car is now totally silent.

Away this week but will dig out the part number when I get home on Saturday if anyone's interested?
That would be great. Do you just wind down the window and apply it to all exposed pieces of rubber?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 05:29 AM   #13
ripkord
First time owner
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil3103 View Post

No Gummi isnt official BMW (may have been at one point). From what I can gather from reading about a million posts on the subject the newer solution is carbaflo, which I believe is PTFE (teflon) based. BMW sell it under a different name like seal care or something.

The part number is 8323 0309 627 and is about £30....

I'm going to try Gummi Pflege first and see if that cures it.

Nabbed from another post in the forum; the stuff I believe is now being used (carbaflo).

07-04-2013, 07:29 AM   #14
aiya78
Rep

I applied gummi, Wurth silicone spray, and wurth hhs2000.
But everything is not working well!

Anything else?
Really desperate!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #15
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I think silicone products is the root cause of the problem. Maybe a silicone remover and then the gummipflege is a better idea.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #16
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiya78
I applied gummi, Wurth silicone spray, and wurth hhs2000.
But everything is not working well!

Anything else?
Really desperate!
Don't use silicone products or wax.
The painted surface the seals rub against needs to be clean with no lubricant.

Think of a that washing up advert when the plate squeaks when you rub your finger down it.
The plate squeaks because the surface has lubrication (water) to slide over, but so clean that your finger snags and jumps on the surface.
You need the seals to snag on the painted surface, any movement in the shut lines are absorbed by the hollow seals changing shape because they are snagged to the painted surface, without the snagging the seals slide over the surface creating the squeaks.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 03:30 AM   #17
phil3103
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 / E46M3

Leetennis : never thought about it like that. Well put!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #18
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetennis View Post

Think of a that washing up advert when the plate squeaks when you rub your finger down it.
The plate squeaks because the surface has lubrication (water) to slide over, but so clean that your finger snags and jumps on the surface.
You need the seals to snag on the painted surface, any movement in the shut lines are absorbed by the hollow seals changing shape because they are snagged to the painted surface, without the snagging the seals slide over the surface creating the squeaks.
intriguing...why then does it get worse in summer when the rubber is more soft?
      07-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #19
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcomma
Quote:
Originally Posted by leetennis View Post

intriguing...why then does it get worse in summer when the rubber is more soft?
That could be isolated to your case and products you use/frequency during summer. I don't know if that is a generic response from all suffering.

I would presume you have aircon cooler in summer making the seals harder not softer and vice versa for winter.

My dash also creaks worse in summer due to the cooler temps of aircon shrinking plastics
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #20
ripkord
First time owner
Scotland
Rep

Gummi pflege has not solved the problem for me, still very creaky / rattly on uneven surfaces / cornering. Have spoken to the dealer to see if they can sort something. Its pretty unacceptable tbh
      07-16-2013, 02:47 AM   #21
ripkord
First time owner
Scotland
Rep

Update - Ok have isolated 2 different rattles:

The first type was a kind of a creaking noise that was coming from all sides - that (thankfully) has been eliminated by giving the felt strips at the top of all the doors a good going over with gummi pflege. As the post above it didnt work the first couple of applications until I read you need to really soak the felt to get it to work so I did and ... success.

The second type is more of a rattle in what seems to be the panel next to the window controls, but nearer the locking mechanism. This is exacerbated by turning left and going over uneven surfaces, and I'm pretty sure the same issue is on the passenger's door (except turning right makes it rattle). Its like a bit of plastic or a ball bearing rattling about, quite high pitched in comparison to the creaking seals. Seems to be muffled if I press against the door.

Does anyone have any experience in fixing this type of rattle or taking off the door trim? Does it affect the warranty. Stealer seems disinterested.
      07-16-2013, 03:24 AM   #22
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripkord View Post
Update - Ok have isolated 2 different rattles:

The first type was a kind of a creaking noise that was coming from all sides - that (thankfully) has been eliminated by giving the felt strips at the top of all the doors a good going over with gummi pflege. As the post above it didnt work the first couple of applications until I read you need to really soak the felt to get it to work so I did and ... success.

The second type is more of a rattle in what seems to be the panel next to the window controls, but nearer the locking mechanism. This is exacerbated by turning left and going over uneven surfaces, and I'm pretty sure the same issue is on the passenger's door (except turning right makes it rattle). Its like a bit of plastic or a ball bearing rattling about, quite high pitched in comparison to the creaking seals. Seems to be muffled if I press against the door.

Does anyone have any experience in fixing this type of rattle or taking off the door trim? Does it affect the warranty. Stealer seems disinterested.
glad to hear the gummi sorted it for you like it did for me! it's wonder stuff, i dread to think of the chemicals in it though!

as for the door rattle, in my experience removing door cards only adds rattles, rarely cures them. Does the rattle get worse if the window is cranked down slightly? does it get worse if the speaker is playing a bassy tune?