BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > F20 118i N13 Oil Pressure Low message

01-20-2020, 10:40 AM   #1
IcefireX
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 335i

Hi Guys,

I have just bought a 2012 F20 118i Sport for which has some drama with the oil pressure. Need your help!
I was getting an Engine Oil Pressure Low warning on the iDrive, advising me to stop the car immediately. That message was showing sporadically and every time when I stopped and restated the engine the error was gone and I could drive the car without any issues.
I've scanned the car with ISTA and saw quite a few issues and not only related to the oil pressure and pump.
However, after reading quite a bit of threads, in one of them there was an advise to replace my battery, as when it's starts to deteriorate the car may throw quite a few (random) errors. So I did and all errors were gone except the below ones related to the oil. Weirdly, I can see the oil related issues only when I scan the car with ISTA, but nothing shows anymore on the iDrive or cars dashboard.
I'm not sure what the issue can be: oil pump, oil pressure control valve, oil pressure sensor or something else?! The car seems to work ok, bit noisy, but as I've mentioned, just bought it and not sure what's the normal sound of the engine.
Also, oil changed with Red Line 5w40 with new OEM oil filter.

Thank you in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 07:19 PM   #2
Breckten
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

How much oil in the dipstick and is there any power loss?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 05:49 PM   #3
alecsei
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i 2012

Hi, I have the exact same issue with my F20 116i 2012 (also N13), which I purchased a year ago. The low pressure errors gets thrown quite arbitrarily, but I've noticed it's mostly on a warm engine, when I stop and turn it off for 5-10 minutes and then drive away, normally I get the error. But then when I turn the car off and on again, it's gone.

When I purchased it and got the error, I did an oil & filter change, replaced the pressure sensor with an original one, put an oil additive (Bardahl's full metal) and it was all cool for around 2k km until the error started popping up again. Now, last week I changed my oil and filter again, put the same oil additive, but started getting the error on the next day. So I drove back to the BMW dealership, and they gave me an export from their system/diagnostics, which showed the error isn't due to a mechanical problem, but due to a software problem. So, they advised me to perform a software update of the car in their service and most likely (fingers crossed ��) the error will be gone. They told me my software is from 2014, so this issue is highly likely to be resolved in the later software versions. I have an appointment for the update due in 2 weeks, so I'll update you whether that has solved it for me.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2020, 06:08 PM   #4
IcefireX
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecsei View Post
Hi, I have the exact same issue with my F20 116i 2012 (also N13), which I purchased a year ago. The low pressure errors gets thrown quite arbitrarily, but I've noticed it's mostly on a warm engine, when I stop and turn it off for 5-10 minutes and then drive away, normally I get the error. But then when I turn the car off and on again, it's gone.

When I purchased it and got the error, I did an oil & filter change, replaced the pressure sensor with an original one, put an oil additive (Bardahl's full metal) and it was all cool for around 2k km until the error started popping up again. Now, last week I changed my oil and filter again, put the same oil additive, but started getting the error on the next day. So I drove back to the BMW dealership, and they gave me an export from their system/diagnostics, which showed the error isn't due to a mechanical problem, but due to a software problem. So, they advised me to perform a software update of the car in their service and most likely (fingers crossed ��) the error will be gone. They told me my software is from 2014, so this issue is highly likely to be resolved in the later software versions. I have an appointment for the update due in 2 weeks, so I'll update you whether that has solved it for me.
Thanks for the reply. I did not update the thread after I fixed the problem, since there were no replies.
In a nutshell , I also replace the pressure sensor and replaced the oil. Than the error was only showing after I run ISTA check, but on the iDrive there were no more notifications. Part of the solution (at the time) was that the guys that changed my oil overfilled it with a 100-200 ml. Which I assume created more oil pressure within the system.
At the end, I've replaced the entire oil pump assembly (pump, pressure valve, chain) and that irradiated the issue completely. Most likely (unfortunately) that might be the problem. I was told that that's a common problem on Mini.

Best of luck to u!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 11:06 PM   #5
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Exclamation

N13 oil change volume is 4 litres exactly. But they try to push more referring to the dry volume of 4.2 litres which leads to overfilling besides an extra litre purchase.

I had to have my 2013 car software updated lately. None of the "improvements" noticed is welcome. The most annoying new feature is double beeping when the engine is running and the car is locked with the key from the outside. It's quiet but still unnecessary and can not be disabled.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 02:35 AM   #6
alecsei
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcefireX View Post
Thanks for the reply. I did not update the thread after I fixed the problem, since there were no replies.
In a nutshell , I also replace the pressure sensor and replaced the oil. Than the error was only showing after I run ISTA check, but on the iDrive there were no more notifications. Part of the solution (at the time) was that the guys that changed my oil overfilled it with a 100-200 ml. Which I assume created more oil pressure within the system.
At the end, I've replaced the entire oil pump assembly (pump, pressure valve, chain) and that irradiated the issue completely. Most likely (unfortunately) that might be the problem. I was told that that's a common problem on Mini.

Best of luck to u!
Ok, so you changed the oil pump and that solved it for you, right?

Well, for my case I really don't think it's the oil pump. I've already driven the car around 7,000km with the low oil pressure error coming on and off sporadically. I assume if there was even a slight problem, the engine would have been harshly broken by now.

So, I really hope I get my issue fixed with the software update, because otherwise, I may be changing the oil pump too .
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 10:47 AM   #7
gregnewting13
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F21 2013 114i

Hi all, I'm having the same issue on my F21 114i

I've just purchased a replacement oil pressure sensor. Would like to change it myself but having a hard time trying to reach/locate it.

Further information on how this was completed would be helpful.

Cheers
Appreciate 0