BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > NBT EVO (2017) rebooting semi-constantly

05-28-2023, 10:18 PM   #1
StrayCat
Rep
Drives: M140i (2017)

NBT EVO (2017) rebooting semi-constantly

Problem
m140i - NBT EVO (2017) rebooting semi-constantly; the BMW boot up logo starts and freezes, then the system reboots (screen displays “No Signal”). Then randomly during the trip it will boot fine and work for the rest of the trip. Once it has started it is pretty stable ie doesn’t reboot for the rest of the trip.

Actions taken:
  • Checked battery: 12V engine off and a good charging voltage of 14V when engine is running.
  • BMW inspection – BMW took a look and upgraded the software but that didn’t fix the issue. Quoted a replacement unit $3.2k AUD ($2k USD, 1.7k GBP)
  • I’ve pulled the unit out and took it apart to see if I could see anything obvious like a cracked solder joint and hoping the act of reseating connectors might bring it back to full health, but no joy.

History
  • I bought the car when it was 3 years old in 2020. After a couple of months I had the same issue as I do now. I took the car to BMW and they fixed it by installing the latest software.
  • I have paid for the BMW apple carplay upgrade/activation.
  • I have used Esys but only to look, too cautious to change anything.

Options that I need the guru’s to advise on:
Existing unit
Is there anything I can try to get the existing unit working?

Replace like for like
I’ve found a local wrecker that has a 2018 NBT EVO (BMW 3 Series) - same connectors on the back as mine.
Can I assume no compatibility issues?
There are lots of talk about retrofitting but I’m not retrofitting so I’m hoping it will be easy (?)

Can I use Esys to copy my existing NBT EVO info (not sure what to copy), remove the existing unit and replace with like for like unit and flash the copied info onto the secondhand unit?

Android Auto options
I like the look of the Android Auto options but am I right in assuming I will lose the following existing functions:
TPMS (visibility and resetting)
Reverse camera and reverse sensors
Sports mode setup
GPS antenna

The Android units talk about switching between the two systems, BMW and android auto, but mine is basically dead, so I would need the Android Auto to be standalone but I would miss the functions listed above.

Conclusion

Any help and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Dan
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 07:45 AM   #2
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 116I F20

i think the head unit is programmed with the VIN to make them unattractive to thieves and it's not a simple job to undo this (virginise) and enter your vin.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 08:37 AM   #3
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=2019849

https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1474339

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 03:54 AM   #4
StrayCat
Rep

Thanks to IJO and "No one" for your replies.

Yes the HU VIN needs to be updated. I've done so much searching over the last month I just cant to seem to find enough complete info to make me confident. Some posts make it sound easy and others hard.

"No one" you point to a post that says use WriteDataByIdentifierVIN but what I’ve read elsewhere that doesn't work with EVO units…. Is that right?
FSC codes do I need these, replacement like for like NBT EVO to NBT EVO and the same region. Can I copy from my old NBT EVO?

Thanks,
Dan
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 07:06 AM   #5
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayCat View Post
Yes the HU VIN needs to be updated. I've done so much searching over the last month I just cant to seem to find enough complete info to make me confident. Some posts make it sound easy and others hard.
There must be people of different abilities.

Quote:
"No one" you point to a post that says use WriteDataByIdentifierVIN but what I’ve read elsewhere that doesn't work with EVO units…. Is that right?
FSC codes do I need these, replacement like for like NBT EVO to NBT EVO and the same region. Can I copy from my old NBT EVO?
I don't know. FWIW. A nested link there points to a person offering help. Just don't tell me you don't have the PM functionality yet. Let's let him know we need him like this then: TheNine90 (he'll be notified he's mentioned here).
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 09:04 PM   #6
StrayCat
Rep

Yes, I’m still a noob and not trusted to PM people; to protect the gurus.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 06:14 AM   #7
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I’m still a noob and not trusted to PM people; to protect the gurus.
"It's all about money". They want to fend off the scammers. You can try to convince them you aren't that smart to outwit anyone by posting something silly/stupid in the dedicated Off-Topic section. That one in question apparently wants money too, it's just he should take his chance to convince you to pay by promoting his product/service properly, sharing some details on what you might choose to pay for, specifically.
Appreciate 0