BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Time for a new camera: Upgrading Rebel T2I

07-25-2015, 04:19 PM   #1
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thumbs up Time for a new camera: Upgrading Rebel T2I

Whats up Guys,

Have reached the point of wanting to upgrade my DSLR. Am looking into mid-level ranges, want to hear some suggestions? The T2I while an amazing entry level camera, would like to be able to take a step up.

Mostly shoot stilled photography. Macros / Architecture / Automotive

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 04:40 PM   #2
RKP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 CS (F80)

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
I have the T3i with the 50mm 1.4 lense and I think it takes amazing pictures. It basically what lenses you choose over the body imo.
Appreciate 3
sirdaft12193.50
      07-25-2015, 07:20 PM   #3
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

The 70D can be found fairly cheaply these days. It gets rave reviews and will be a huge step up from the T2i.

Here's a deal from Adorama for the 70D and Pixma Pro-100 printer for $649 after rebate.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 11:34 PM   #4
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Since you have the T2i, I suppose you'd want another Canon, so you can carry over any of those lenses to the new camera...?

I have a T4i... Two of the nicest features it has is a touch screen for controlling functions and the screen also articulates, which allows you take pictures from various angles (selfies, worm's-eye view, etc.).
      07-26-2015, 11:26 AM   #5
allachie9
Grumpy Old Man
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Definitely stick with Canon, and as Mark says, some good deals on the 70D.
Look at your budget and go for the best within that price range.
      07-27-2015, 08:03 AM   #6
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
T6i article: http://www.imaging-resource.com/news...f-dslr-cameras
      07-27-2015, 08:52 AM   #7
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKP View Post
I have the T3i with the 50mm 1.4 lense and I think it takes amazing pictures. It basically what lenses you choose over the body imo.
I agree lenses make a big contribution to overall photo quality - however the T2I body/ camera has had a hard time adjusting and keeping up with upper quality lenses I've applied to it if that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
The 70D can be found fairly cheaply these days. It gets rave reviews and will be a huge step up from the T2i.

Here's a deal from Adorama for the 70D and Pixma Pro-100 printer for $649 after rebate.
Thanks you! I will be purchasing body only this time - and adding lenses I think are appropriate for my shooting style. The 70D looks like a great choice and that is quite cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
Since you have the T2i, I suppose you'd want another Canon, so you can carry over any of those lenses to the new camera...?

I have a T4i... Two of the nicest features it has is a touch screen for controlling functions and the screen also articulates, which allows you take pictures from various angles (selfies, worm's-eye view, etc.).
I don't have many if at all any things to carry over. I currently use the stock kit lens / and have rented other lenses to use on the T2I. Switching to Nikon is not out of the question - in fact the idea intrigues me. Need to do some more digging on what Nikon can offer that Canon does not. Unfamiliar with the ease of integration with Mac's. Canon makes that pretty easy.

Only thing I will be carrying over is my tripod - for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allachie9 View Post
Definitely stick with Canon, and as Mark says, some good deals on the 70D.
Look at your budget and go for the best within that price range.
A year or so ago I was looking to upgrade and at the time it was before Canons major releases of technology. Read a few articles stating jumping from T2I to other models (out at the time) - were not viable as many think the T2I is an extremely capable body. I just find when shooting with upgrading lenses IE: EF 16-35 http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum..._f_2_8l_ii_usm

the camera had a hard time adjusting - shutter speed/ auto focus / etc were all delayed as if it was almost overmatched by the lens. (Hard to explain unless you've done yourself).

Quote:
This camera interests me. I do want an upgrade from my T2I, but don't want to be in over my head. Though I've been shooting photography from high school/ real film days - the digital aspect of photography and image editing photoshop etc is relatively new territory for me. Looking for something user friendly, adequate and capable of handling quality lenses (that I rent for the time being), and ease of post photo editing via my Mac.

Thanks for all input guys - Please any more suggestions are always welcome!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 09:04 AM   #8
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
DSLR websites I frequent:

http://www.dpreview.com/
http://www.imaging-resource.com/
http://www.cameralabs.com/
http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/
      07-30-2015, 07:00 AM   #9
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quality sites and information. Thank you

My quest continues, as I will sell my T2I package in light to put funds towards new camera.

This time around I am thinking body only purchase, would you guys agree?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 06:05 PM   #10
yakuza70
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i coupe

What's your budget?
      07-31-2015, 06:13 PM   #11
gabriel.psd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 AW 6MT

Garage List
2004 330ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakuza70 View Post
What's your budget?
Important question here.

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 12:03 AM   #12
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What's your budget?
If he's looking at DSLRs, it's gotta be at least around $1000.
      08-01-2015, 07:02 AM   #13
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Nikon
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 05:43 PM   #14
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Have been a bit delayed in my response, work is extremely busy right now...

Quote:
What's your budget?
Roughly $500-1000 for body - am going to go body only this time and purchase non kit lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmilori View Post
Important question here.
^^^

Quote:
If he's looking at DSLRs, it's gotta be at least around $1000.
Correct. I would like to keep it roughly around that mark for a solid body. Hoping to re-coupe some cash from re-sale of T2i to put towards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
Nikon
Thats a rather broad statement w/ no backing or support of why. Not to say I haven't given them a thought, the idea of trying a new camera is intriguing however my last 2 DSLR's have both been Canon Rebels.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 11:08 PM   #15
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclusivs View Post
Hoping to re-coupe some cash from re-sale of T2i to put towards.
Looks like the asking price on eBay is around $200.

Since the T2i is 18Mp, I'd think you'd want a bump in sensor resolution, huh?
      08-07-2015, 09:44 AM   #16
justanotherdude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 328 [Sold]

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Coming from Nikon (I recently switched to Canon).

Nikon's are not bad. Definitely good entry level cameras. My problem with them is that instead of focusing on making a GREAT sensor, they just keep upping the megapixels. One of the things I've noticed is that Canon seems to take a crisper image than Nikon does, even though their comparative models have less MP. Maybe it's just me.

Nikon is quite user friendly though, and easy to navigate. But being from Canon you'd feel the opposite most likely.

Nikon body's can be pretty cheap, but the lenses get expensive. As opposed to Canon where it seems to be the opposite. Just my observation, I could be wrong.

I went with the Canon SL1. I figured since it's more of a hobby, a smaller body would be easier to carry while traveling. It has not disappointed yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 04:02 PM   #17
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I have been shooting with Canon for a while and started with the T2i as well. Upgraded to 7D, and then later got my hands on the 6D. I don't have a lot of lens, I usually carry around the "kit lens" 24-105mm F4L for day to day, low light i use a Sigma 18-35mm F1.8,and i do also have the 70-200 F2.8 IS II (which i am in the proces of selling all of them soon).

IF you're not heavily invested into Canon, may i suggest going mirrorless and trying out the Sony A7 line? I have made the switch and honestly could not be happier. The native lens selection has really expanded since the launch of the Full Frame Mirrorless by Sony which include a bunch of awesome Zeiss lenses. And if you really want to use your old lens, you can add an adapter and ALL of them will work. It is small and nimble, and produce picture qualities similar to flagship offerings from Canon and Nikon. Technology is also leap and bounds better than Canon or Nikon offerings. The A7ii (current flagship model) will be out of your price range, but you can easily pick up a used Sony A7 body w/kit lens for <$1,000 and start with that while building your arsenal of lenses. Used Sony A7 body only isn't that much cheaper, grabbing the kit lens with it will be more advantageous as it isn't really too bad of a lens as well.

Good Luck and let us know! Cheers!
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #18
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looks like the asking price on eBay is around $200.

Since the T2i is 18Mp, I'd think you'd want a bump in sensor resolution, huh?
Have been looking around - and full kit packages used are fetching a bit more. ESP w/ extras and in mint condition.

Sensor resolution yes - Overall picture quality yes - and lighter / agile also doesn't hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyabloke View Post
Coming from Nikon (I recently switched to Canon).

Nikon's are not bad. Definitely good entry level cameras. My problem with them is that instead of focusing on making a GREAT sensor, they just keep upping the megapixels. One of the things I've noticed is that Canon seems to take a crisper image than Nikon does, even though their comparative models have less MP. Maybe it's just me.

Nikon is quite user friendly though, and easy to navigate. But being from Canon you'd feel the opposite most likely.

Nikon body's can be pretty cheap, but the lenses get expensive. As opposed to Canon where it seems to be the opposite. Just my observation, I could be wrong.

I went with the Canon SL1. I figured since it's more of a hobby, a smaller body would be easier to carry while traveling. It has not disappointed yet.
Yeah - am actually looking towards a smaller body / easier to travel with camera that at the same time produces very high quality images. Though I don't frequently travel with my camera its nice to know that a smaller camera with equal power / or better is available on the market if I decide to go that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaede View Post
I have been shooting with Canon for a while and started with the T2i as well. Upgraded to 7D, and then later got my hands on the 6D. I don't have a lot of lens, I usually carry around the "kit lens" 24-105mm F4L for day to day, low light i use a Sigma 18-35mm F1.8,and i do also have the 70-200 F2.8 IS II (which i am in the proces of selling all of them soon).

IF you're not heavily invested into Canon, may i suggest going mirrorless and trying out the Sony A7 line? I have made the switch and honestly could not be happier. The native lens selection has really expanded since the launch of the Full Frame Mirrorless by Sony which include a bunch of awesome Zeiss lenses. And if you really want to use your old lens, you can add an adapter and ALL of them will work. It is small and nimble, and produce picture qualities similar to flagship offerings from Canon and Nikon. Technology is also leap and bounds better than Canon or Nikon offerings. The A7ii (current flagship model) will be out of your price range, but you can easily pick up a used Sony A7 body w/kit lens for <$1,000 and start with that while building your arsenal of lenses. Used Sony A7 body only isn't that much cheaper, grabbing the kit lens with it will be more advantageous as it isn't really too bad of a lens as well.

Good Luck and let us know! Cheers!
Interesting. SONY has been brought up a few times now, and they're one I never considered. The benefit I'm in now - is I do not have a lot invested in Canon IE: lenses other accessories (Besides tripod) so a switch over would not be a big deal.

Will further my search and include Sony now. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 05:29 PM   #19
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well, since you have an M3, what about the Leica Digital M Series?
      08-13-2015, 02:56 PM   #20
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
Nikon
      08-19-2015, 09:25 AM   #21
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep

UPDATE:

Am going to get my hands on a few more lenses to trial before I jump to a new body.

Gonna grab an EF 24-70 and also some prime lenses if I can gain access too!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 09:34 AM   #22
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

A 17-55 2.8 might be a good lense to invest in also.

I was in a similar place 3 years ago, I choose to upgrade to a 5D MkII, imo going full frame makes a huge difference. But you have to really be into Photography or want to spend that much cash + all the lenses.

IMO a T6i is a lateral move, marginal improvement, but still an entry level dslr.
Appreciate 0