BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Help needed ceramic coating or wax’s

11-05-2017, 03:46 AM   #1
RossM_17
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw M135i

Help needed ceramic coating or wax’s

Hi guys I’m new to the forum and New to owning a bmw but a quick back story that’s got me wondering about this,I bought the car from a dealer with some small scratches and was told these bits would come out and when I went to pick the car up they were still there,so the car went back and they said they couldn’t do anything else so that has led me to go to a detailer to get these bits looked at and get some ppf for the front,but the rest of the car will need to be protected so what route do I go down?

The coatings being offered by the detailer are from Gtechniq some of which can last for 9 years in the case of the Crystal Serum ultra that’s just come out,now they say you get increased scratch resistance and helps to stop getting swirls and other imperfections but with the likes of the Crystal Serum if you want to remove the coating the only way it to wet sand the clear coat which I’m not to keen on if there is a problem further down the line and another point is that the car will still get scratches but to remove them it’s so much harder as no polish or compound will really touch this stuff, they do offer a Crystal Serum light which doesn’t last for as long, doesn’t have the same level of protection as the others but can be removed by a compound,so I suppose you could say it’s semi permanent but will still last for 3-5 years.

The second option is to have the car waxed,he uses Swissvax so I can get any of thier waxes applied, I know the waxes do really make the car shine and have many of the same hydrophobic properties of the coatings but they don’t last as long and there is a reduced scratch resistance so what do I do?

Thanks

Ross
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 05:23 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I know some detailers, and they would recommend to go with wax. The ceramic coatings tend to look rather dull after a while compared to regular waxing.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 09:19 AM   #3
willsbmw1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 118i M Sport Estoril Blue

Wax on wax off

It really depends on if you like the idea of detailing your own car or not.There are masses of options to choose from, if you want to try there a loads of sites giving instructions and guides, swissvax is good but its recommended to follow all the steps but its a wax and wont last forever. I prefer wax but I like to get out and do it myself. Your right nothing stops scratches and a badly cleaned vehicle gives you more. Im sure everyone on this forum has their own routine and once you decide you will get loads of good and not so good tips. If your having a detailer carry out your waxing then its down to how much you wish to spend and how often you wish to have it done.
Appreciate 0