BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > POLL : Hybrid/Electric Alternative to 340i?
View Poll Results: Which EV/Hybrid would you choose?
BMW i8 9 32.14%
BMW X5 xDrive40e 1 3.57%
BMW i3 1 3.57%
ActiveHybrid 3 2 7.14%
Panamera S Hybrid (NOT THE NEW ONE) 4 14.29%
Merc C350e 0 0%
Golf GTE 1 3.57%
Something Else (Please comment) 10 35.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-30-2021, 08:02 AM   #1
GipsyD
Enlisted Member
GipsyD's Avatar
South Africa
10
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: '16 F30 340i Luxury Line
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Durban

iTrader: (0)

POLL : Hybrid/Electric Alternative to 340i?

Looking at replacing my 340i with a EV, either plug-in hybrid or full-electric. I don't plan on selling my 340i, just intent on replacing it as my Daily Driver. If the fuel price wasn't going through the roof, I would have kept my 340i as my daily no doubt.

My commute to work is about 30 miles give or take when I take the freeway, or about 45 miles when the freeway is blocked, and I have to take alternative routes. The roads I take are pretty hilly all things considered, so that adds another layer of fun to the topic at hand. I carpool with 2 others on my way to work.

I've got about $55000 to play with, but I don't know which vehicle best suits my needs above, hence me creating this poll. If I can, I would stick with BMW, but I am more than open to other brands and their offerings.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for viewing.

EDIT : Should have added the Volvo XC90 Twin Engine to the poll. My bad...

Last edited by GipsyD; 11-30-2021 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: Tried to remove POLL bit from title. Didn't know it was auto-generated.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 08:56 AM   #2
tracer bullet
Colonel
tracer bullet's Avatar
United_States
1230
Rep
2,704
Posts

Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Saint Paul, MN

iTrader: (1)

So, I'm not trying to give you grief. Maybe a little "Devil's advocate" though. You have $55k to play with, but are also at the same time concerned about the cost of gas?

Also pretty sure an i8 is well north of $100k.
Appreciate 3
      11-30-2021, 09:00 AM   #3
Killramos
Captain
Killramos's Avatar
Canada
307
Rep
862
Posts

Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
There is no way you ever pay enough incremental in gas to justify the cost of a second car just to “save money”.

That said… Buy a model 3 or something? Or take the bus?
Appreciate 2
      11-30-2021, 09:03 AM   #4
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Brigadier General
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY's Avatar
No_Country
3651
Rep
3,400
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (1)

how is tesla not an option
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 09:28 AM   #5
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
2822
Rep
4,047
Posts

Drives: BMW 530e
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Greater Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

Lucid Air
Appreciate 1
Cos270145.50
      11-30-2021, 09:30 AM   #6
DanG
Major General
DanG's Avatar
United_States
4741
Rep
5,870
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.69]
My daughter went with Polestar.

https://www.polestar.com/us/polestar...SAAEgJCBfD_BwE
Appreciate 1
Cos270145.50
      11-30-2021, 09:40 AM   #7
Bimmer Pleaser
Second Lieutenant
Bimmer Pleaser's Avatar
171
Rep
298
Posts

Drives: C43
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: -

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
So, I'm not trying to give you grief. Maybe a little "Devil's advocate" though. You have $55k to play with, but are also at the same time concerned about the cost of gas?

Also pretty sure an i8 is well north of $100k.
lol nothing about the original post makes any sense.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 10:03 AM   #8
GipsyD
Enlisted Member
GipsyD's Avatar
South Africa
10
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: '16 F30 340i Luxury Line
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Durban

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
So, I'm not trying to give you grief. Maybe a little "Devil's advocate" though. You have $55k to play with, but are also at the same time concerned about the cost of gas?

Also pretty sure an i8 is well north of $100k.
Locally, i8s are about $55k with about 12k miles on them. That's why the i8 is a poll option, otherwise I wouldn't have added it
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 10:05 AM   #9
GipsyD
Enlisted Member
GipsyD's Avatar
South Africa
10
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: '16 F30 340i Luxury Line
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Durban

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Pleaser View Post
lol nothing about the original post makes any sense.
To me the fuel cost alone for the 340i doesn't make sense. My 340i gets about 28mpg, which isn't too grand in my books, hence me looking for a replacement EV. I would have been fine with 32mpg.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 10:26 AM   #10
Shiza
Captain
Shiza's Avatar
962
Rep
957
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (1)

Picked up an X5 40e earlier this year to be the girlfriends daily driver. I was surprised by how quiet, comfortable, and smooth it is. Best part is the ~20 miles you get from the battery. Her commute is about 10 miles so the engine never even turns on which is a huge savings on gas. When the engine is running its averaging about 29mpg.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 11:08 AM   #11
tracer bullet
Colonel
tracer bullet's Avatar
United_States
1230
Rep
2,704
Posts

Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Saint Paul, MN

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipsyD View Post
Locally
I'm seing South Africa? That changes things. Most of us (not all, but most) can only speak to how things are in the US.

What are your fuel and electricity costs there?

And have you ever thought about exporting i8's? LOL. Seems they are about half price for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 11:58 AM   #12
GipsyD
Enlisted Member
GipsyD's Avatar
South Africa
10
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: '16 F30 340i Luxury Line
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Durban

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
how is tesla not an option
Tesla has only started introducing themselves locally. If Tesla was an option then I wouldn't have created this thread.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 12:02 PM   #13
GipsyD
Enlisted Member
GipsyD's Avatar
South Africa
10
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: '16 F30 340i Luxury Line
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Durban

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
I'm seing South Africa? That changes things. Most of us (not all, but most) can only speak to how things are in the US.

What are your fuel and electricity costs there?

And have you ever thought about exporting i8's? LOL. Seems they are about half price for you.
Yup. South African born and raised. I thought everyone saw that on my profile card when I respond or create a thread. LOL. I know most things on this forum are US related, but I wanted everyone's input on this as most of you have experience when it comes to things like this.

Apologies for that. Should've mentioned that in the OP.

As for the fuel costs, at the moment, R18.81 or $1.18 a litre for 95, and electricity prices varies. My electricity is R1.28 per kWh or 0.08 USD.

Thought has crossed my mind, but problem is we are RHD and you guys are LHD.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2021, 12:04 PM   #14
GipsyD
Enlisted Member
GipsyD's Avatar
South Africa
10
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: '16 F30 340i Luxury Line
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Durban

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiza View Post
Picked up an X5 40e earlier this year to be the girlfriends daily driver. I was surprised by how quiet, comfortable, and smooth it is. Best part is the ~20 miles you get from the battery. Her commute is about 10 miles so the engine never even turns on which is a huge savings on gas. When the engine is running its averaging about 29mpg.
Wow. That's exactly what I am looking for. 29MPG in a X5 from a 4-pot ain't bad at all. Does your normal route have hills, or is mostly flat? Is your 40e an M Sport?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 03:40 PM   #15
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Brigadier General
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY's Avatar
No_Country
3651
Rep
3,400
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipsyD View Post
Tesla has only started introducing themselves locally. If Tesla was an option then I wouldn't have created this thread.
sorry didnt see your location
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 06:15 PM   #16
grocerylist
Second Lieutenant
249
Rep
292
Posts

Drives: BMW M235i
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GipsyD View Post
To me the fuel cost alone for the 340i doesn't make sense. My 340i gets about 28mpg, which isn't too grand in my books, hence me looking for a replacement EV. I would have been fine with 32mpg.
How many miles per year do you drive that a 4mpg difference makes you want to justify the purchase of a commuter only car?
Appreciate 3
Cos270145.50
jmack455.00
      11-30-2021, 07:28 PM   #17
Germanauto
Major General
Germanauto's Avatar
United_States
8163
Rep
5,488
Posts

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

The i8 is the only choice here that isn't lame as f**k.
__________________
Former
-2008 E90 328 black/brown
-2012 Lexus IS250 black/black
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 10:16 PM   #18
MaC-N54-E82
N54 Lover
MaC-N54-E82's Avatar
United_States
87
Rep
231
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: OR

iTrader: (0)

Picked up a Volvo XC40 Recharge recently as an addition to the fleet. The wife wanted an EV and it ticked all the boxes. Also surprisingly quick and fun to drive. Highly recommend at least a test drive.
__________________
MAC
2008 N54 E82|AW over CR
Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|Comfort Access
BMW PE|COBB Tuned|M3 FSB|Michelin PS4S|
B12 Pro-Kit|M3 Rear Subframe Bushings|Black Line Taillights
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 11:36 PM   #19
GipsyD
Enlisted Member
GipsyD's Avatar
South Africa
10
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: '16 F30 340i Luxury Line
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Durban

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerylist View Post
How many miles per year do you drive that a 4mpg difference makes you want to justify the purchase of a commuter only car?
Whoops. My math is really bad. Not 29mpg. Its 25mpg. Right now, I'm travelling about 20000 miles per year. Would have been higher if it was for the virus.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 11:47 AM   #20
Quadruple VANOS
Second Lieutenant
191
Rep
239
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: America

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipsyD View Post
Looking at replacing my 340i with a EV, either plug-in hybrid or full-electric. I don't plan on selling my 340i, just intent on replacing it as my Daily Driver. If the fuel price wasn't going through the roof, I would have kept my 340i as my daily no doubt.

My commute to work is about 30 miles give or take when I take the freeway, or about 45 miles when the freeway is blocked, and I have to take alternative routes.
30 miles a day x 5 days is 150 miles a week; or 7500 miles over 50 weeks.

45 miles a day x 5 days is 225 miles a week; or 11,250 miles over 50 weeks.

I'll use the combined fuel economy rating of 25 mpg.

Using average Premium gasoline prices in NJ ($3.40/gal) for my calculations means:

7500 miles / 25 mpg = 300 gallons x $3.40 = $1020 in total annual fuel cost.

11,250 miles / 25 mpg = 450 gallons x $3.40 = $1530 in total annual fuel cost.

Does $1020-1530 annually really upset you so much to warrant buying and maintaining an additional vehicle? Am I missing something?
Appreciate 2
jmack455.00
Killramos307.00
      12-02-2021, 02:40 PM   #21
Humdizzle
Colonel
3466
Rep
2,435
Posts

Drives: GT3 + M3
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

^ im guessing his commute is 30 miles to work and 30 miles back? so double your cost estimates.

it doesn't make sense to keep the 340i around if its not your daily, its not that special of a car where low miles are gonna keep its value up or make it sought after. if you're not romping on it you can put 89 octane in their most of the week and 91 once a week or something to trim costs. the ecu will adjust.

have you considered a diesel BMW ? not sure what offering are there in south africa. UK gets the 330d option with 480 lb-ft of torque. The old e90 335d we used to get here in the US could get like 36mpg+ on the highway. diesel is more expensive though. but it should save you money overall if you're mostly on the highway.
__________________

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2015 Silverstone F80 6MT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 08:54 AM   #22
GipsyD
Enlisted Member
GipsyD's Avatar
South Africa
10
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: '16 F30 340i Luxury Line
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Durban

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple VANOS View Post
30 miles a day x 5 days is 150 miles a week; or 7500 miles over 50 weeks.

45 miles a day x 5 days is 225 miles a week; or 11,250 miles over 50 weeks.

I'll use the combined fuel economy rating of 25 mpg.

Using average Premium gasoline prices in NJ ($3.40/gal) for my calculations means:

7500 miles / 25 mpg = 300 gallons x $3.40 = $1020 in total annual fuel cost.

11,250 miles / 25 mpg = 450 gallons x $3.40 = $1530 in total annual fuel cost.

Does $1020-1530 annually really upset you so much to warrant buying and maintaining an additional vehicle? Am I missing something?
I'm trying to stay away from the pumps as much as I can. Besides, according to my math, taking into account local factors, on average I'm spending about $3000 a year on fuel.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
340i, electric, electric car, hybrid, plug in, poll, replacement

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST