BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > BMW automatic windows malfunctioning

05-19-2023, 05:47 PM   #1
raz2121
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series (F20)

BMW automatic windows malfunctioning

I have 2012 f20 5 door and recently my windows have started to automatically come back down after reaching the top, it started with my driver side window only which eventually got completley stuck in a closed position (been like this for over a month now) however, all of my other windows also started to have the same issue I’ve tried all the basic fixes online but none of these have worked, I am planning on going to an electrician & mechanic but I’d rather make sure there’s no way I could fix it myself. If anybody has an idea or solution to this probably I’d appreciate you letting me know.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 07:39 AM   #2
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 116I F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz2121 View Post
I have 2012 f20 5 door and recently my windows have started to automatically come back down after reaching the top, it started with my driver side window only which eventually got completley stuck in a closed position (been like this for over a month now) however, all of my other windows also started to have the same issue I’ve tried all the basic fixes online but none of these have worked, I am planning on going to an electrician & mechanic but I’d rather make sure there’s no way I could fix it myself. If anybody has an idea or solution to this probably I’d appreciate you letting me know.
Have you done the "hold the up button in for a few seconds" reset?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 10:04 PM   #3
raz2121
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series (F20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJO View Post
Have you done the "hold the up button in for a few seconds" reset?
Didn’t really work for me, ended up just taking door trims and bolts off till the window dropped itself then disconnected the negative terminal on the battery for 5 minutes. Once everything was bolted up and fitted again the window was working fine just gotta hope it stays that way now. Appreciate the advice though
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 03:22 AM   #4
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 116I F20

Sometimes it helps to lubricate the channels the glass slides in. If the motor is overloaded by a stiff mechanism, the power is shut off so the window will just stop.
Appreciate 0