BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Road & Track picks the Hyundai Veloster N as 2020 PCOTY

11-12-2019, 12:11 PM   #23
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
I think anyone doing a comparison between a $30,000 car and a $300,000 car is either an idiot who doesn't know what they what they are looking at or a cynical jerk who just wants you to pay attention to him. This group of drivers is probably a combination of both.
      11-12-2019, 12:37 PM   #24
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

its more a fun per dollar question they're trying to answer.

Its like in boxing or MMA. You have a pound for pound list. You can have a lightweight champ with that has absolutely demolished all his rivals, and a heavyweight champ that has just looked mediocre. To put the two directly against each other would be stupid.

I am intrigued by it and like what Hyundai is offering. But I've done this dance before when I got an FRS/BRZ for daily duties. They are fun for the test drive, or even for a couple months. But driving them normally and living with it day to day you kind of see where corners were cut and it gets annoying.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      11-12-2019, 12:38 PM   #25
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Not sure if some of you understand what the Hyundai N is about. It is a big deal to make affordable cars that can perform and that's exactly what Hyundai N division is doing under the leadership of ex-M mastermind Albert Biermann.

i'd rather have a Hyundai N than most of what else is on that list because i like small hatchbacks and coupes----BUT i just wish they brought the euro 5-door hatchback N over.

the Hyundai N is an amazing line with the Father of the original M division at the helm---he's channeling the spirit of the E30 M3 over there and it definitely shows!! Glad someone has remembered how to do it right!

Cars are about how they feel---not statistics and numbers and hype or even badge. It seems this has been lost somewhere along the way and everyone expects the 911 to win everything-----the state of the world in 2019 that people don't get beyond the surface.
i get it and if R&T said “this is the best hot hatch out there”, or “this is the best performance car for $30k”, or “this is the best performance bargain/bang for the buck car on the market right now”, i would have gone, hmmm, ok....that’s cool.

But they are saying, this is the best performance driving experience you can have at any price (of the cars that are new for 2019). That’s what i find so hard to believe. Huracans, 600LT’s, Lotuses and 911’s are pretty superlative at any speed and on any road.
Appreciate 2
minn1913970.00
Salty Dog3572.50
      11-12-2019, 12:48 PM   #26
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
I think anyone doing a comparison between a $30,000 car and a $300,000 car is either an idiot who doesn't know what they what they are looking at or a cynical jerk who just wants you to pay attention to him. This group of drivers is probably a combination of both.
Motor Trend always includes budget cars in their Drivers Car of Year. They get praise and ranked fairly high if deserved. We all get the hot hatch segment, there are some rippers in there. But they don't go full d-bag and put a hot hatch above a 600LT. R&T test is virtually a copy of what MT does each year(on track and road driving impressions from a group of journalists). MT just doesn't have a bunch of newbs trying to making a name for themselves or revive a career(cough Cammisa).
Appreciate 2
hellrotm4142.50
minn1913970.00
      11-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #27
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

They are full of sh*t.

Ask each tester one question. Put all the keys on the table and you are given the choice to have one of the cars...which one would you take? One rule you have to keep the car for life, so no profiting off the value. None, zero of them would choose the Hyundai.
Appreciate 3
minn1913970.00
M3_WC1040.00
Salty Dog3572.50
      11-12-2019, 01:08 PM   #28
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

MT calls theirs CAR OF THE YEAR and they have they given the blue ribbon to a lot of head scratchers over the years
R&T calls their PERFORMANCE CAR OF THE YEAR and by adding the world performance and only performance, it should be the most important factor in their decision.
This is even a bigger faux pas then MT picking the Chevy Citation, Dodge Omni and Mustang II as their choices for cars of the years.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 01:46 PM   #29
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

I really hope they're right. It's high time someone new took over making the fun road cars we all love. BMW sure aren't interested in doing it any more. Hyundai are no strangers to making their cars perform, so I don't find it hard to believe that they can produce a car which is great to drive despite being worlds away from the outright performance of some of the other cars. Sometimes less is more, on the road.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 07:49 PM   #30
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
MT calls theirs CAR OF THE YEAR and they have they given the blue ribbon to a lot of head scratchers over the years
R&T calls their PERFORMANCE CAR OF THE YEAR and by adding the world performance and only performance, it should be the most important factor in their decision.
This is even a bigger faux pas then MT picking the Chevy Citation, Dodge Omni and Mustang II as their choices for cars of the years.
MT version of this test is Drivers Car of the Year. They do track times and street driving, includes only performance models. They have not awarded it to a hot hatch once, even though some have placed high. MT is not starving for attention.
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2706.00
      11-12-2019, 08:02 PM   #31
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Most of us here (if not all) have not driven all the supercars in the world like the R&T testers. People go ooohhh and aaahhh over the high performing supercars without knowing how they are to drive. I have heard a lot of complaints lately that these supercars although are super fast, they are not really fun to drive. And having driven so many supercars like they have, they have a different perspectives vs. the average folks (reads M3 forum posters ) and after awhile, they have become somewhat jaded of cars being absolute fast but can't quite connect with the driver. And a lot of these supercar makers in the quest of making their cars as fast as possible, they forgot to include "fun" in the equation.

And here what has arrived the R&T decisions. It's an anti-performance statement aiming straight toward to the supercar makers. Maybe it's a "back to basics" decision.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 08:06 PM   #32
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
Most of us here (if not all) have not driven all the supercars in the world like the R&T testers. People go ooohhh and aaahhh over the high performing supercars without knowing how they are to drive. I have heard a lot of complaints lately that these supercars although are super fast, they are not really fun to drive. And having driven so many supercars like they have, they have a different perspectives vs. the average folks (reads M3 forum posters ) and after awhile, they have become somewhat jaded of cars being absolute fast but can't quite connect with the driver. And a lot of these supercar makers in the quest of making their cars as fast as possible, they forgot to include "fun" in the equation.

And here what has arrived the R&T decisions. It's an anti-performance statement aiming straight toward to the supercar makers. Maybe it's a "back to basics" decision.
It is a "hey, look at us everyone" statement. Had they picked the 600LT for example, their test results wouldn't be on every forum since release.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 08:09 PM   #33
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
They are full of sh*t.

Ask each tester one question. Put all the keys on the table and you are given the choice to have one of the cars...which one would you take? One rule you have to keep the car for life, so no profiting off the value. None, zero of them would choose the Hyundai.
+1 Exactly
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2706.00
      11-12-2019, 08:17 PM   #34
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
It is a "hey, look at us everyone" statement. Had they picked the 600LT for example, their test results wouldn't be on every forum since release.
There will always be some elements of "hey look at me". But there are some truths in their decisions. There are some backlashes over the supercars getting to much power for their own goods. Read Chris Harris review of the 488 Pista at around 10:20 mark.

Last edited by WestRace; 11-12-2019 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 02:14 AM   #35
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Didn't they say the c8 dynod like 500 plus Hp? Fake news they are
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 06:28 AM   #36
240Newbie
Learning
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M240 M Performance

This is the new trend. Do some sort of review or opinion and pick the least popular answer and people go nuts about it meanwhile people are clicking on their web site and talking about their company again when they haven't been relevant for a while. Sure the Veloster with the new power and upgrade can be a great version of the Veloster, but it's still a piece of crap Hyundai.
Appreciate 0