BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Ask a Uber/Lyft Driver Anything

03-02-2018, 04:45 PM   #67
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Haha yeah I can imagine a Honda isn't very enjoyable.

What I meant was since you drive all day does that take the enjoyment out of driving in general, like say on your days off?
I love to drive so no, the enjoyment doesn’t die down. When I get home in the Civic I hop in the 335 and pick up my son from school and do some food shopping. On the weekends its 335 all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Instead of a Civic, what if you got a decent minivan of some sort within the same price range...would that increase your profit margins any?
In order to receive higher rates, I would need either a 7 passenger SUV or a luxury vehicle 2010 or newer for the Miami market (ie 5 series, E class, A6 or higher). I was approved for basically any vehicle $20k max and I could have gotten back in a f30 but I wanted something reliable and great on gas.

I never considered a minivan as it wouldn’t net me higher profits. The majority of Uber/Lyft cars I see are Corollas and Nissan Versa’s (those suck). Also a major complaint passengers tell me is that they are surprised I speak English as lots of the drivers here only speak Spanish as they just got off of the banana boat from Cuba.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2018, 11:15 PM   #68
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Lol how old are you if you dont mind me asking...Youre responses are subtle and funny...especially the vtech kicking in. Need more drivers like you here in NYC...lately ive been having shitty drivers from asians who cant speak english to a guy accepting my ride and almost ended up driving home before he realized he was supposed to pick me up. Anyways props to you man, respect to what you do...my dad does uber too!
Appreciate 1
F30lolz6798.50
      03-02-2018, 11:45 PM   #69
rexb16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 362i

I've considered doing some driving in my 362i.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 01:41 AM   #70
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

New MIT study, comments?

http://ceepr.mit.edu/files/papers/2018-005-Brief.pdf
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00
      03-03-2018, 06:00 AM   #71
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90joee View Post
Lol how old are you if you dont mind me asking...Youre responses are subtle and funny...especially the vtech kicking in. Need more drivers like you here in NYC...lately ive been having shitty drivers from asians who cant speak english to a guy accepting my ride and almost ended up driving home before he realized he was supposed to pick me up. Anyways props to you man, respect to what you do...my dad does uber too!
I’ll be 40 in July. This gig is all about customer service and you have to have a positive attitude to do this job, otherwise you would be miserable. As I’ve said I’ve taken many Uber rides myself and even though I always give 5 stars, most of them don’t really say hi and ask how I’m doing, cars are dirty inside/out, etc...

What does your father drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexb16 View Post
‘Due’ it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Would be interesting to know which market(s) were covered.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 06:14 AM   #72
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
So, I'm supposed to sit in back? I just want a ride, not a chauffeur
You can sit in the trunk. The van gets shotgun.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 06:59 AM   #73
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Quote:
I’ll be 40 in July. This gig is all about customer service and you have to have a positive attitude to do this job, otherwise you would be miserable. As I’ve said I’ve taken many Uber rides myself and even though I always give 5 stars, most of them don’t really say hi and ask how I’m doing, cars are dirty inside/out, etc...

What does your father drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexb16 View Post
‘Due’ it!

Quote:
Would be interesting to know which market(s) were covered.
Yea i feel in nyc more drivers are just doing it for the money, i had my car in the shop couple weeks ago. After being up at 7am to go to class and then straight to work and get back to my neighborhood around 11pm...i just want to go straight home in peace and quiet. Its already bad enought i had to take shitty subway commute...but this driver maybe around 27 picks me up blasting spanish urban music and then picks up a younger college girl aswell and starts hitting on her the whole ride and tells her to sit in the front with him and bunch of stuff...unprofessional to say the least.

My dad started off leasing at first but then realized for that much money he could just get a brand new car...plus his last brand new car was an 01' honda crv and sold it at 110k miles. I was steering him into an x3 since he wanted an uber black compatible car and due to weather conditions itll be decent in snow with xdrive. He ended up getting a VW tiguan r-line, but when he went to register it with uber and all that they told him the car had to be fully his and no leins on the title. Which is weird because i know toyota finances you and registers you at the dealer ready to go with uber. I guess its stricter in nyc? Im assuming that didnt happen to you when you registered the honda after getting it from carmax? Unless you bought it cash of course.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 07:12 AM   #74
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yea i feel in nyc more drivers are just doing it for the money, i had my car in the shop couple weeks ago. After being up at 7am to go to class and then straight to work and get back to my neighborhood around 11pm...i just want to go straight home in peace and quiet. Its already bad enought i had to take shitty subway commute...but this driver maybe around 27 picks me up blasting spanish urban music and then picks up a younger college girl aswell and starts hitting on her the whole ride and tells her to sit in the front with him and bunch of stuff...unprofessional to say the least.

My dad started off leasing at first but then realized for that much money he could just get a brand new car...plus his last brand new car was an 01' honda crv and sold it at 110k miles. I was steering him into an x3 since he wanted an uber black compatible car and due to weather conditions itll be decent in snow with xdrive. He ended up getting a VW tiguan r-line, but when he went to register it with uber and all that they told him the car had to be fully his and no leins on the title. Which is weird because i know toyota finances you and registers you at the dealer ready to go with uber. I guess its stricter in nyc? Im assuming that didnt happen to you when you registered the honda after getting it from carmax? Unless you bought it cash of course.
First off, that driver should be terminated lol. Drivers cannot harass passengers. Did she sit up front with him or she stayed in the back and really didn’t care? I actually get concerned whenever a female passenger is flirting with me as I’m thinking it’s a ‘tarp’. Am I being set up by Uber/Lyft? I remember my first week doing this full time I had a girl sit up front and seemed really into me, even though I told her I was married. She seemed bent outta shape when I was dropping her off lol. Maybe I didn’t ask for her number? Who knows.

Uber/Lyft drivers make so much more in the Tri-State area it’s ridiculous. Down here, the car doesn’t have to be registered in your name, however, you have to be on the insurance and you don’t have to own the vehicle outright (liens are allowed and yes I’m making payments). However, having Uber Black has more restrictions so that could be why your father hit a wall.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 07:17 AM   #75
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

First off, that driver should be terminated lol. Drivers cannot harass passengers. Did she sit up front with him or she stayed in the back and really didn’t care? I actually get concerned whenever a female passenger is flirting with me as I’m thinking it’s a ‘tarp’. Am I being set up by Uber/Lyft? I remember my first week doing this full time I had a girl sit up front and seemed really into me, even though I told her I was married. She seemed bent outta shape when I was dropping her off lol. Maybe I didn’t ask for her number? Who knows.

Uber/Lyft drivers make so much more in the Tri-State area itÂ’s ridiculous. Down here, the car doesnÂ’t have to be registered in your name, however, you have to be on the insurance and you donÂ’t have to own the vehicle outright (liens are allowed and yes IÂ’m making payments). However, having Uber Black has more restrictions so that could be why your father hit a wall.
Lol she ended up sitting upfront with him...i felt like she had no choice but to talk to him i felt bad for her..he was calling her sweetie and beautiful the whole ride..i kid you not he changed the music from uban spanish to some smooth jazz when she was with us and then back to spanish when she left..guy was a clown.

Ah maybe thats why! In some areas you have to register with the taxi limo commision..but if youre out further from the city you dont...its all about them making money i guess.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 07:25 AM   #76
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Lol she ended up sitting upfront with him...i felt like she had no choice but to talk to him i felt bad for her..he was calling her sweetie and beautiful the whole ride..i kid you not he changed the music from uban spanish to some smooth jazz when she was with us and then back to spanish when she left..guy was a clown.

Ah maybe thats why! In some areas you have to register with the taxi limo commision..but if youre out further from the city you dont...its all about them making money i guess.
Hope you gave him 1 Star lol. I try not to blast music unless the passenger requests it. And yes, Uber and Lyft bank it and they are still greedy, though the laws in NYC area are very strict. I was back at Carmax the other day just looking at f10 528i’s. They are underpowered pigs but they would get me higher rates. Hmmm....
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 07:32 AM   #77
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

Is it sad I’ve taken an uber once?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 08:22 AM   #78
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

What was your worst fare and why?
Also do you enjoy driving for these companies?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 08:53 AM   #79
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Hopefully you are considering the taxes associated with being a 1099 employee.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 11:20 AM   #80
lebreeze
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18’c63s,15’macanturbo,14’ 991s

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
Why would I care what my uber (passenger)rating is?
Does it really matter?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 11:25 AM   #81
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Do you ever gas them out after burritos?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 01:58 PM   #82
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bt12 View Post
Is it sad I’ve taken an uber once?
No but use my Lyft code CJ6902 for a $10 credit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
What was your worst fare and why?
Also do you enjoy driving for these companies?
Picked up an older fellow who selected Lyft Line. Two seconds later I received another request and mentioned that I have to pick up another passenger a block away. Old Man Warner wasn’t having it. Telling me I shouldn’t let the other passenger in the car and to just take him home. I calmly explained to him that he selected Lyft Line which means there’s a chance you will have share rides/car pool and he still refused to be cooperative. Knowing this wasn’t goin to end well he wanted me to cancel his ride as he had no clue how to do it so I did. Then he throws a fit as to why I canceled? Even the other passenger couldn’t believe Old Man Warner. He was irate so I told him to request another Lyft, no Line and he’ll be good to go. Because his ride was cancelled I did receive the $5 fee, however, it was such a hassle.

I enjoy driving for them, however, they need to reward drivers that have a higher than normal rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Hopefully you are considering the taxes associated with being a 1099 employee.
Correct, as well as every receipt (gas, Civic, food expenses, etc...) that I’ll be writing off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebreeze View Post
Why would I care what my uber (passenger)rating is?
Does it really matter?
I picked up a passenger a few weeks ago with a 4.5 and I was concerned. Is he a dick? Does he smell? Turns out we had great convos and he tipped well. Some drivers are assholes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Do you ever gas them out after burritos?
With or without hot sauce?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 02:07 PM   #83
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Don't matter just light them out.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 02:14 PM   #84
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Don't matter just light them out.
Sometimes all of a sudden I gotta do a number 2 and sucks when I have a passenger. I want the ride to end and then I’ll turn off the apps as soon as Inleave him/her to drop off the kids at the pool.

I pass gas when nobody is in the car. Passengers have told me that they have been in cars when said driver couldt stop farting.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 09:44 AM   #85
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Passengers have told me that they have been in cars when said driver couldt stop farting.
Did you get the hint?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 12:06 PM   #86
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Uber questions methodology of MIT survey claiming drivers make just $3.37 per hour, on average - CBC News

https://apple.news/AqwboiAD7SKuA6LSkvvrUww

Is it really that low?

On the flip side.

Is it true that some make more than $1000 a month? There was a documentary a while ago about a lady sleeping in her car and getting to NYC early morning to catch the early risers. Then traveling to a different location to continue.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 01:08 PM   #87
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
1100 drivers is hardly statistically significant.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 06:13 PM   #88
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I believe the numbers. It's easy to see $100 in your bank account and forget about the $20 gas, $20 depreciation, $20 insurance, $20 wear&tear, it actually took to earn it.

My dad started a consultancy late in his working life, after the company he was with went belly up. He kept meticulous records. Time spent on bids, meetings, travel, billing, mileage, not to mention the work the client was requesting. When all was said and done he was earning under $2/hour. He shut it down and picked up a job driving for a ticket agency for 5 times that.

My wife went through the same kind of thing. She decided to pick up a bit of extra cash by working per diem for an in-home health agency (she's a nurse). I added up the costs for her and she realized that it was pretty much a wash -- if you didn't count her time. Buh bye per diem.
Appreciate 2
Soul_Glo13282.50