BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > F20 116i Weird Drivetrain Warning and Shiver

08-20-2020, 03:02 PM   #1
JL357
Rep
Drives: BMW E81 118i F20 116i

F20 116i Weird Drivetrain Warning and Shiver

Hi All,

First post here.

Have had an unbelievably frustrating time with my 2012 116i F20. Running out of ideas on what to do. Have searched the forum's but can't find anything similar.

The car has had a fair amount of work done to it, all by a very experienced BMW Indy.

New timing chain, new oil pump, valve stem seals have been done.

Recently, the car has been throwing a drive train warning but only under very specific conditions. It occurs when the engine is warm, and has been restarted and left to idle without moving for around a minute. Restating the car after getting the warning and immediately driving off clears the error and am able to drive around fine with no loss of power. The warning won't reappear at all unless the car is turned off and then on again.

The only other indication that something may be wrong is that there is a bit of a shiver (is the only way to describe it) feeling on idle. It also behaves quite weirdly on a completely cold start (first thing in the morning). It seems to cut out and has no power if you touch the accelerator in say the first minute or so while it warms up. I've read this cold start issue can most likely be fixed with a software update so maybe unrelated?

Error code is 130304 - exhaust camshaft stuck.

Have replaced both vanos solenoids as well as the exhaust vanos gear, unfortunately without fixing the issue. Running out of ideas and don't want to just play an expensive game of parts roulette.

Any assistance of where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Edit: these are similar issues however with no responses
https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1703809
https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1647624

Last edited by JL357; 08-20-2020 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 12:19 PM   #2
Sidewinder1970
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW f20 116i

Garage List
2012 BMW F20  [10.00]
Could be a vacuum leak around the seal of your engine cover. Put a new one in or torque the bolts down. Could be a vacuum leak at the PVC on top of your engine cover. Put a new diafram in en put some sealing around this diaframe cover. Could be a leak in your hose from your pvc to your airintake hose. Place a new one. Could be a vacuum leak at your oil return hose From the underside of your airintake to your engine. Could by a faulty vacuum hose From your turbo to the engine cover.

Last edited by Sidewinder1970; 10-04-2020 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0