BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > iPhone X

09-13-2017, 11:39 AM   #89
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
It's cute you think they didn't. Every single smartphone today was spawned from the original iPhone, period. If you think otherwise, you're just in denial. An $800B company was built on that single device and became the most profitable company in the world.

It created an entire industry.

Whatever crap you want to point to that came before the iPhone (there were many) isn't even on the same planet. Apple got it right, clearly. I never said they invented all the technology in the modern smartphone. They invented the correct combination of elements to create a perfect user experience.

There were many smartphones and tablets. They all sucked until Apple got it right and everyone played catch up. BTW, #1 watch in the world too...oh, but that was a flop. LOL...

Tell the truth now - you're heavily invested in Apple stock and are worried right? So you are going around trying to put out any fires you see to protect the stock.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2017, 11:41 AM   #90
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
It's cute you think they didn't. Every single smartphone today was spawned from the original iPhone, period. If you think otherwise, you're just in denial. An $800B company was built on that single device and became the most profitable company in the world.

It created an entire industry.

Whatever crap you want to point to that came before the iPhone (there were many) isn't even on the same planet. Apple got it right, clearly. I never said they invented all the technology in the modern smartphone. They invented the correct combination of elements to create a perfect user experience.

There were many smartphones and tablets. They all sucked until Apple got it right and everyone played catch up. BTW, #1 watch in the world too...oh, but that was a flop. LOL...
I believe the word you're looking for is revolutionized. You mean crap like the BlackBerry that ruled the smartphone world before the iPhone existed?

Apple's marketing made you believe that they "got it right" and you sunk your teeth into it pretty good, I can tell. Remember when the 4" screen on the iPhone 5 was the "perfect" size...what happened?

Only takes one troll to start a war.

Just for reference...

Appreciate 1
      09-13-2017, 01:15 PM   #91
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Love my Iphone 6 But Hell NO $1000
      09-13-2017, 01:16 PM   #92
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
It's cute that you think that Apple invented the smartphone.

Also, history was riddled with triangular-shaped phones until Apple invented the slab in 2007...
It's pretty ignorant if you can't admit that Apple changed the world/entire tech industry with their "Smartphone" design.

You can't really compare the first iPhone to those things they used to call a Palm or some color of Berry? Where are they now?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #93
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRookie View Post
Got some real fanboys in here
Just because you are in denial doesn't make anyone that says some good about Apple a fanboi.

I currently use a Samsung S8+ and own no Apple devices at the moment (No laptop, tablets, etc), am I a fanboi for pointing out that iOS makes a phone better?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #94
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
What's so revolutionary about the X
Nothing revolutionary has happened to the smartphone since the first iPhone.

Everything since has been small evolutionary incremental improvements. That's what happens when a device category matures.
Appreciate 2
BayMoWe3351178.50
danniexi3079.50
      09-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #95
F80_M
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1/1 PSM F80, F36, G11

In case you guys wanted to know the difference between the 7 and 8. Here's a pretty good explanation.

https://instagram.com/p/BY9rPI-B3Cq/
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 01:41 PM   #96
Monster335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

It is called Iphone X, which "X" is roman numeral for number 10, and this is their 10th year anniversary.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 01:43 PM   #97
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster335 View Post
It is called Iphone X, which "X" is roman numeral for number 10, and this is their 10th year anniversary.
X for Xpensive apparently from what ive read
Appreciate 2
      09-13-2017, 01:49 PM   #98
Monster335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal f80 View Post
X for Xpensive apparently from what ive read
LOL, that too.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 02:05 PM   #99
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Got some real fanboys in here, I find it odd how the Apple supporters are on the defensive here...seems like thats how it always is! They must justify why their phone costs 1000, how their faceID is actually different, how they revolutionized the smartphone market.

Interestingly, their stock price took a hit yesterday after revealing their release dates for the X. From what I've read, they have some major supply chain and logistics issues with those OLED screens.

What's so revolutionary about the X, less the OLED screen? For the most part, it's playing catch up on features (wireless charging? welcome to the party, is it even Ip86 yet?). The common consumer doesn't care if the faceID takes into account 3D modeling or whatever.
Apple's numbers speak for themselves. Go take a look at their 10k. They are the most profitable company in the world, sell over 200m high end smartphones annually, and make over 90% of the profit in the smartphone market. They have over $260b in cash, the #1 watch in the world that is a rounding error, 1.2B active devices, and a services business that is the size of a Fortune 100 company.

Forget the new phones. I'd rather use an iPhone 6 than this Note I'm using right now. It is garbage. I also have an S7, already slow and buggy. It's never the hardware I'm concerned about. It's the experience and Apple destroys any Android phone in that regard. It just works better and feels smoother.

Remember, I AM an Android guy. I just can't take it anymore.

Their stock was down 0.4% yesterday because it's always down after an announcement. You haven't been paying attention if you think a small move down matters in the least. They have the biggest buyback in the world at $175b....shares are becoming more scarce by the day. Warren Buffet owns 130M shares and hasn't sold 1. The stock is up over 40% this year alone and will likely be up more after the numbers are in from Xmas.

Remember, they are going to sell a TON of iPhone 8, just like iPhone 7. The iPhone X is literally an extra product in their pipeline, as they've never released 3 phones at once. They also have HomePod and Airpods (best wireless headphone experience going). My guess is they will start eating up profits in the home speaker space with HomePod. Amazon can sell their $49 Echo while Apple makes all the money, just like in smartphones.

Forget the Android vs iOS argument. Apple is an AMAZING company just from a finance perspective. Their profitability is absolutely insane. We are talking $50b in PROFIT annually.

Last edited by BayMoWe335; 09-13-2017 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2017, 02:06 PM   #100
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Nothing revolutionary has happened to the smartphone since the first iPhone.

Everything since has been small evolutionary incremental improvements. That's what happens when a device category matures.
If every smartphone that came after the first iPhone was an evolution of the smartphone, then the iPhone was an evolution of the smartphone that came before it. Can't have it both ways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
It's pretty ignorant if you can't admit that Apple changed the world/entire tech industry with their "Smartphone" design.

You can't really compare the first iPhone to those things they used to call a Palm or some color of Berry? Where are they now?
I corrected him. He said Apple invented the smartphone, I said they revolutionized it. I give credit where it's due, but Apple doesn't get credit for "inventing" the smartphone. He admitted as much.

Why are you asking where "they" are? Didn't you just state that the smartphone evolved? That's like me asking you why you still aren't using the first iPhone. Since you brought up evolution, I'm assuming you understand how it works...

If I'm ignorant, you're delusional. Keep drinking that Kool-Aid, good sir.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #101
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I believe the word you're looking for is revolutionized. You mean crap like the BlackBerry that ruled the smartphone world before the iPhone existed?

Apple's marketing made you believe that they "got it right" and you sunk your teeth into it pretty good, I can tell. Remember when the 4" screen on the iPhone 5 was the "perfect" size...what happened?

Only takes one troll to start a war.

Just for reference...

Whatever you want to call it. iPhone IS the modern smartphone. I owned Blackberries...they weren't smart and looking back, were crap. Plastic on plastic on plastic with little to no intelligence. It was an email device.

I've seaid before, Jobs was wrong about screen size. When he died, Cook did what he knew had to be done and increased the size. This is why I think Apple is actually a better company under Cook. Jobs had great ideas, but he was an absolute nutcase with his opinions on how they should work long term. He continually said the size shouldn't be changed. Cook grew iPhone shipments 3X over when Jobs was alive. People want bigger screens and Apple did that. Not sure they would have under Jobs.

I'm not trolling. I think Samsung would even tell you privately they had to catch up when iPhone came out. The smartphone in your pocket today exists because of Apple, period.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2017, 02:19 PM   #102
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80_M View Post
In case you guys wanted to know the difference between the 7 and 8. Here's a pretty good explanation.

https://instagram.com/p/BY9rPI-B3Cq/
It's easy...glass back, wireless charging, better cameras, A/R, and a beast processor to power that A/R. Phones don't make calls 1 year and fly you to the moon the next. This is the world we are in now...incremental improvements.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 02:20 PM   #103
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
Tell the truth now - you're heavily invested in Apple stock and are worried right? So you are going around trying to put out any fires you see to protect the stock.
Yes because what I say here matters for their stock...it's a discussion. The stock never worries me. My cost basis is so much lower, they'd have to practically go out of business for me to lose money. My cost basis is probably about where their cash value is.

Like I said, you see how many iPhone 7s they sold? And that wasn't even an upgrade. They will sell a ton of iPhone 8 just like the 7, but they also have the iPhone X. Watch them break records. Happens every year. I'll sell when the numbers tell me to.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 02:23 PM   #104
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Whatever you want to call it. iPhone IS the modern smartphone. I owned Blackberries...they weren't smart and looking back, were crap. Plastic on plastic on plastic with little to no intelligence. It was an email device.

I've seaid before, Jobs was wrong about screen size. When he died, Cook did what he knew had to be done and increased the size. This is why I think Apple is actually a better company under Cook. Jobs had great ideas, but he was an absolute nutcase with his opinions on how they should work long term. He continually said the size shouldn't be changed. Cook grew iPhone shipments 3X over when Jobs was alive. People want bigger screens and Apple did that. Not sure they would have under Jobs.

I'm not trolling. I think Samsung would even tell you privately they had to catch up when iPhone came out. The smartphone in your pocket today exists because of Apple, period.
That's like saying that the PS4 exists because of the NES...forget all the other gaming systems before the NES because NES revolutionized gaming...

Whatever, I'm over it. Obviously no opinions will be changed by this argument...it's as old as the smartphone itself. That's why I had the disclaimer in my OP.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 02:25 PM   #105
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
If every smartphone that came after the first iPhone was an evolution of the smartphone, then the iPhone was an evolution of the smartphone that came before it. Can't have it both ways...

I corrected him. He said Apple invented the smartphone, I said they revolutionized it. I give credit where it's due, but Apple doesn't get credit for "inventing" the smartphone. He admitted as much.

Why are you asking where "they" are? Didn't you just state that the smartphone evolved? That's like me asking you why you still aren't using the first iPhone. Since you brought up evolution, I'm assuming you understand how it works...

If I'm ignorant, you're delusional. Keep drinking that Kool-Aid, good sir.
There is no kool-aid, dog. Apple's success isn't because they did something just "OK." The iPhone is literally the best product of our lifetimes and it is the reason every other smartphone exists right now in their current forms. The iPhone put a smartphone in every person's pocket. Before, only dorks had "smartphones" which were dumb phones encased in plastic and clunky design with a stylus.

Apple is literally the most profitable and valuable company in the world. There is no Kool-Aid. They revolutionized/invented/started the smartphone of today. Period.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 02:27 PM   #106
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That's like saying that the PS4 exists because of the NES...forget all the other gaming systems before the NES because NES revolutionized gaming...

Whatever, I'm over it. Obviously no opinions will be changed by this argument...it's as old as the smartphone itself. That's why I had the disclaimer in my OP.
Look at your smartphone. It looks like the original iPhone. I rest my case.

PS4 vs Nintendo? I mean, kind of related, but again, different form factors and different media. Just LOOK at your phone. Look at the icons, look at the animations, touch, etc. It's the same damn thing. Haha, you are in denial because you can't stand Apple owns this market.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 02:58 PM   #107
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Apple is literally the most profitable and valuable company in the world. There is no Kool-Aid. They revolutionized/invented/started the smartphone of today. Period.
So? This is completely irrelevant to the conversation at hand. Apple doesn't invent. Period. See? I can make funny statements as well.

Quote:
Look at your smartphone. It looks like the original iPhone. I rest my case.

PS4 vs Nintendo? I mean, kind of related, but again, different form factors and different media. Just LOOK at your phone. Look at the icons, look at the animations, touch, etc. It's the same damn thing. Haha, you are in denial because you can't stand Apple owns this market.
Why do you think I care who owns the market? Are you implying that Apple products are unobtainable? Can only be purchased by birthright? I'm not understanding your point.

I CHOOSE not to own an iPhone. Trust me, this isn't penis envy.

Yeah, I'm looking at my phone. Looking at the icons Xerox invented, the touchscreen G. Samuel Hurst invented. Apple just took it all and wrapped it into a nice little package - a design that they stole from Sony.

Have a great day...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 04:22 PM   #108
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, I'm looking at my phone. Looking at the icons Xerox invented, the touchscreen G. Samuel Hurst invented. Apple just took it all and wrapped it into a nice little package - a design that they stole from Sony.
If Apple hadn't stolen Xerox's GUI + pointing device, we wouldn't have the mouse and keyboard that we know of in modern desktop computing today. We would have the keyboard forward design that we know of in laptops today. We wouldn't have the modern smart phone that we know of today.

Apple is not invention. They aren't just about innovation. They are about design... having a vision and making something that is actually useable and relevant for humanity. It's their designs that innovate, not the technology that is inside a pocket size glass/metal sandwich.

From what you said, I totally agree with you. Apple has made a huge impact in society. They are about revolutionizing and evolving... never about pure invention. Those are two very different key points that a lot of people seem to misunderstand.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 04:36 PM   #109
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

its almost like the comments section on YouTube where a bunch of teens are bitching/bragging about tech. "Apple>Android. Android>apple. Comment for apple, like for android. Zomg, this phone is so innovative! You have iPhone? You're such sheeples!"

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 04:38 PM   #110
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Blue texts > green texts
Appreciate 1