BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > BMW F2x NBT EVO Retrofit, successfully

06-19-2018, 02:03 AM   #1
Lsanchez
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Post BMW F2x NBT EVO Retrofit, successfully

Hi, I just wanted to share my experience doing this retrofit and maybe help some I not a pro but I can say now that I have some knowledge.

I m from Costa Rica and everything started 2 years ago when I bought my first BMW I was so excited that I did not realize about some import thing like Bluetooth stream audio, mirror etc. the car was from BMW premium and I thought that at less all BMW share standard features.
At that moment was too late to return back, so I star a deep research in google and lot of posts here.

My car is a BMW M135i, Prod. Date 2013-08-17, with Radio BMW Professional, freehand Bluetooth (6NH)

So I read about was possible Change the 6NH to 6NS to active the Bluetooth stream audio.

But was not easy
The thing is if you have a head unit like my CIC(HU_ENTRYNAV) and don't have the combox in the trunk without this combox is not possible coding the car.

So there was 3 possible solution for mi
1. Buy a Bluetooth adapter to Aux, just $15
2. Buy the combox installed and coding what I need, price around $800 + cables and all the installation(not easy)
3. Buy a head unit like NBT or NBT-Evo which does not need the combox to do the coding part. Between $900 to $1450 depending on your knowledge and type of head unit and screen.

In the end, I decided to buy a head unit and took the risk an NBT-Evo with 10.25 display from G30(buy bigger or don't buy it. hahaha). I saw at comment who recommend naviprof from eBay, So I contact him I send my car information and after some emails, I decided to buy it.

The only thing that Seller pointed was"the navigation for Costa Rica does not work", I replied, "if the rest of the features will work, I dont need it".

Now to retrofit a head unit there are important things like:
- There is a way to change the vin of the head unit, so is not just buy a head unit. if you dont know how to change the vin of the head unit will you need to pay extra.
- If you dont want to cut cables and rewire there is at an option like plug and play
- If you dont know how coding? well pay extra

The seller sold me the head unit + screen + cables(screen, retrofit and ethernet for coding) + coding for $1450

1. So first you need to know what kind of headunit you have? if is possible extra it take some pictures and see the back of the head unit to make sure wich conecters you have.

2. Confimr with Seller if the Screen woll work for you.

3. Send the Vin

4. When you have it, install it this is pretty easy just have calm and time(I did around 4 hours) if you can buy the tools for remove the trim will be better.

5. In my case Seller sent me the head unit coded with my car vin, so I just need to list the things that did not work.

6. make a meeting with the seller via team view(import you will need a windows machine) follow the instruction to conect the car and he will do the rest for you.

7. Wait for coding and test it until everything is ok.

I will add the instalation steps with some pictures the next day

Final Result:
Attached Images

Last edited by Lsanchez; 06-27-2018 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 05:28 AM   #2
fury13
Rep
Drives: BMW

Wow, bigger screen looks great!
Do you know what part number it is?
Was it just the screen you bought or the back box behind the buttons as well?
Does the screen fit perfect in the top of the dash?
No gaps or anything?
I love the look of the bigger screen!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 10:13 AM   #3
Lsanchez
Costa Rica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fury13 View Post
Wow, bigger screen looks great!
Do you know what part number it is?
Was it just the screen you bought or the back box behind the buttons as well?
Does the screen fit perfect in the top of the dash?
No gaps or anything?
I love the look of the bigger screen!
Yeah! give another look to the car.
All Screen 10.25, NBTEV02 head unit and Idriver controller. Not sure what is back box behind the buttons?
I will say Yes, the screen fits great but is not possible to use the back holder, So for this, I m thinking to create a piece of metal to join the screen hook with the dash hole. Even the screen does not move at all.
Yes, a just little piece of plastic to guide the old screen(Pic #4)
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 06:13 PM   #4
fury13
Rep

There appear to be 2 different 10" screens.
There's one from the G30 5 series which I believe yours is with the black surround, and there's one from the F15 X5 series with a silver trim.
I ended up purchasing an F15 one as it was $100 cheaper, and it looks (only by photos) that it is marginally narrower - it doesn't seem to come out as far at the base.
Will take a few weeks to get here but fingers crossed it will work in the car, and then I will have to figure out how to securely mount it.
Fun and games
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 04:35 PM   #5
emil111
Second Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW 114d

Quote:
There appear to be 2 different 10" screens.
There's one from the G30 5 series which I believe yours is with the black surround, and there's one from the F15 X5 series with a silver trim.
I ended up purchasing an F15 one as it was $100 cheaper, and it looks (only by photos) that it is marginally narrower - it doesn't seem to come out as far at the base.
Will take a few weeks to get here but fingers crossed it will work in the car, and then I will have to figure out how to securely mount it.
Fun and games
The 10,25 f15 screen will fit there are several companies that retrofit it in germany....
It will look something like this
Daewoo Nubira II
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 11:44 PM   #6
fury13
Rep

Hey, so i connected the 10" screen up yesterday to test and see how it'll fit.
Unfortunately it came up with No Signal on the display and wouldn't display the iDrive screen.
Connected the 8" screen back and everything worked OK.

The good news is it doesn't look like very much is required to make it fit.
Any suggestions on why i'd be getting No Signal?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 05:07 PM   #7
Lsanchez
Costa Rica
Rep

Quote:
Hey, so i connected the 10" screen up yesterday to test and see how it'll fit.
Unfortunately it came up with No Signal on the display and wouldn't display the iDrive screen.
Connected the 8" screen back and everything worked OK.

The good news is it doesn't look like very much is required to make it fit.
Any suggestions on why i'd be getting No Signal?
Yes that is normal because you need to configure the headunit for the new screen, so I don't know if there is another way but according with my experience you need to code it. So you need the cable to connect the laptop to your car and software, then code with some tutorial you will be able to do it.

This is for an NBT unit

CID_APIX_MODE -> apix2
CID_COLOR_DEPTH -> 24
CID_COM_MODE -> mii
CID_RESOLUTION -> 1280 x 480

Found from another post: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1402639
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 06:31 PM   #8
fury13
Rep

I'll give this a go.
Given i already had the NBT Evo with 8.8" screen in, I would have hoped the coding would already be suitable with the 10.25" screen.
I'll have to have a look what ESys says my car is currently programmed with.

Thanks for the link!
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2018, 05:47 AM   #9
Stem135i
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw m135i 2014

Hi I’m looking to do this same retrofit I currently own the m135i F21 2014 which has business nav installed I keep seeing nbt evo systems for sale on eBay but how can I be sure if it will fit my car is there a certain serial number to look out for or what model cars have all the same fit ?? Any help is appreciated 👍
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 10:15 PM   #10
Lsanchez
Costa Rica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stem135i View Post
Hi I’m looking to do this same retrofit I currently own the m135i F21 2014 which has business nav installed I keep seeing nbt evo systems for sale on eBay but how can I be sure if it will fit my car is there a certain serial number to look out for or what model cars have all the same fit ?? Any help is appreciated 👍
Hi, i dont know with certain number, but from I know NBT or NBT Evo headunit will fit.

Just search on ebay "bmw nbt evo" and try to find a seller that sell it with coding, so you dont have to worry about that part just install it. just chat with the seller to be sure.

For f20/21 screen size is 6.2 and 8.8, there is some there nbt with 8.8 screen if you want a 10.25 just check the screen does not have diferent screen holder like this #6805326

My screen is from a G30/G31
Appreciate 0