BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > M performance exhaust on non-OPF M140i

04-22-2020, 12:01 PM   #1
kiddow
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw m140i

M performance exhaust on non-OPF M140i

Hi all,

Since this is my first post on the forum, I would to introduce myself. My name is Bram, 28 years old from the Netherlands, and I recently bought a 2016 M140i. As it is a pre-OPF car, the sound of it is already awesome. I looked on youtube at comparisons between the stock exhaust and the MPE exhaust, and like the MPE even more.

My question is: If I get the MPE exhaust, is it only the end-piece of the exhaust (english is muffler??)? Or is the part where the OPF normally is situated also replaced (midpipe?).

I'm not very familiair with these kind of things so apologies of I sound like a noob

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 02:52 PM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddow View Post
this is my first post on the forum
Your post count and the forum page (this looks like your first post actually) put it differently: it's your first thread, yet second post. Excuse my picking on but the number of people explicitly failing to count beyond 1 is becoming annoying here.

Quote:
My question is: If I get the MPE exhaust, is it only the end-piece of the exhaust (english is muffler??)? Or is the part where the OPF normally is situated also replaced (midpipe?).
It's so nice you clarify the "end-piece": I thought you meant exhaust tips, at first glance. MPE is a silencer/muffler "only": https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=03_4091.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 08:32 AM   #3
V-Eight
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 G80 Comp.Xdrive

Quote:
Hi all,

Since this is my first post on the forum, I would to introduce myself. My name is Bram, 28 years old from the Netherlands, and I recently bought a 2016 M140i. As it is a pre-OPF car, the sound of it is already awesome. I looked on youtube at comparisons between the stock exhaust and the MPE exhaust, and like the MPE even more.

I'm not very familiair with these kind of things so apologies of I sound like a noob

Thank you!
Glad to carify something for you.

I've got a december '16 M140i F20 RWD, so it's without the OPF ( I was one the first 5 private owners here in Italy of F20/21 M40i). In march 2018 I decide firstly to put the Mperf. Rear locking differential (and it's something that I recommend you to have in case yours is a RWD, as isn't available on the Xdrive version), along with the MP rear muffler, which I personally don't recommend.

The sound isn't great at all as BMW claims. Is simply a broken bell.

Starting the engine the sound is really really too much loud, especially when the engine and the exhaust system are already warm, and above 4k rpm there's no noticeable difference between the stock and MPversion. Under 4k rpm the sound isn't fulfilling as it should be....so after few days I reverted back to the stock one.

Now mine has 52k kms, and the stock muffler has a really nice and pleasant sound. Is not as it should be...but it's the best compromise IMHO.

If they would have developped a completely different exhaust system as for the M340i (F30) I think that the sound should have been really interesting.

I'm my opinion the MPE for the M140i doesn't worth any cent of the price. In the other hand, the MPrear differential worth every single cent, especially if you like drifting a little bit and have fun into the corners...but it's my opinion. For sure ther's somebody here who love the MPE muffler in his/her M140....
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 08:11 PM   #4
Tuscan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Public Transportation

Quote:
Hi all,

Thank you!
It's only the muffler you are not changing the midpipes. So if you buy a used M Performance Exhaust (muffler) you will be fine.
Attached Images