BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > F20 Cruise Control Retrofit

12-12-2017, 10:36 AM   #1
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Merc, VW, Porsche, Suzuki

Garage List
F20 Cruise Control Retrofit

I recently put cruise control on my F20, and although I had no previous experience of eSys coding, I managed to get that installed & running first time too.

The steps I went through were:

Bought the eSys cable from Amazon (OHP 10122 OBD2 Diagnostic Adapter Connector) along with a USB to Ethernet adapter as my laptop didn't have one (UGREEN USB Ethernet , USB Network Adapter ,USB 2.0 to RJ45 Lan Adapter).
Downloaded the eSys software. I used this guide - I'm sure other guides are available, I'm just stating what worked for me.
Bought the cruise control switches from eBay. There are several different types depending on what steering wheel you have - I used RealOEM to find the correct buttons from my non-Sport wheel. Note although I had a multi function steering wheel (MFSW) I only had the 'LIM' speed limiter button - so the correct part for my car was 61319261859. This is the only BMW part I needed.
I disconnected the battery at this stage before the airbag removal. I'm less worried about exploding the airbag, more about the horn going off during removal!
For the physical install I used this guide.
My airbag was a pain to remove using the slits, so I ended up doing it the way the guide suggested (also shown here:
which was surprisingly quick & I didn't break/rip anything )
The removal of my old switches was really easy, and putting the new switches in was plug & play, then pop the airbag back in & the steering column trims back on - physical job done. Reconnect the battery at this stage, and start the car up. the only errors you'll get at this stage are to reset the time & date. The cruise won't work yet, and your new 'SET' button on the left will act as your old 'LIM' button did.

Coding...
In short, I added code 544 to the Vehicle Order (VO, or in German FA). Using the above mentioned guide again, Page 28 onwards, I fired up eSys, selected my car (F020, which is a F20 1 series) and followed the guide. All was crystal clear in the process right up to the coding of individual ECU's - that's where it became 'open to interpretation', but I used the information from the cruise control retrofit guide to code the following ECU's:
- FEM (body)
- ICM
- BCKOMBI (the instruments, sometimes just called Kombi, but it was labelled BCKOMBI in my car)

At this stage I got errors related to tyre pressure control as it needed to be reset (the instruments forget what temporary information they have stored, like bord computer / trip / tyre pressures.

Quick test drive afterwards & cruise works perfectly, I get all the correct messages on the display, the green cruise control warning light and the red or green marker on the speedometer. The jockey wheel works perfectly too for increasing / decreasing the speed. All in all I'm very happy with this, especially as the cost was under £100 (incluing the eSys kit, which I will undoubtedly use again).

Hope this helps someone, but post a message if you need any clarifications.
Appreciate 4
      04-19-2018, 05:45 AM   #2
Vish8895
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Excellent write up - I will be following this in the coming months if my new purchase goes ahead next week! Thanks!

Car history highlights: EP2 Civic, E92 335i M Sport, E92 325D M Sport - Stage 1, Mk5 Golf GTI - Stage 2+, E46 M3 6MT, E82 135i M Sport 6MT, Nissan 350z - Stage 3, Audi S3 - Stage 1 DSG, M135i Auto.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 07:45 PM   #3
cesaroctavio_80
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 3 Series F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfleming View Post
I recently put cruise control on my F20, and although I had no previous experience of eSys coding, I managed to get that installed & running first time too.

Bought the eSys cable from Amazon (OHP 10122 OBD2 Diagnostic Adapter Connector) along with a USB to Ethernet adapter as my laptop didn't have one (UGREEN USB Ethernet , USB Network Adapter ,USB 2.0 to RJ45 Lan Adapter).
Downloaded the eSys software. I used this guide - I'm sure other guides are available, I'm just stating what worked for me.
Bought the cruise control switches from eBay. There are several different types depending on what steering wheel you have - I used RealOEM to find the correct buttons from my non-Sport wheel. Note although I had a multi function steering wheel (MFSW) I only had the 'LIM' speed limiter button - so the correct part for my car was 61319261859. This is the only BMW part I needed.
I disconnected the battery at this stage before the airbag removal. I'm less worried about exploding the airbag, more about the horn going off during removal!
My airbag was a pain to remove using the slits, so I ended up doing it the way the guide suggested (also shown here:
The removal of my old switches was really easy, and putting the new switches in was plug & play, then pop the airbag back in & the steering column trims back on - physical job done. Reconnect the battery at this stage, and start the car up. the only errors you'll get at this stage are to reset the time & date. The cruise won't work yet, and your new 'SET' button on the left will act as your old 'LIM' button did.

Coding...
In short, I added code 544 to the Vehicle Order (VO, or in German FA). Using the above mentioned guide again, Page 28 onwards, I fired up eSys, selected my car (F020, which is a F20 1 series) and followed the guide. All was crystal clear in the process right up to the coding of individual ECU's - that's where it became 'open to interpretation', but I used the information from the cruise control retrofit guide to code the following ECU's:
- FEM (body)
- ICM
- BCKOMBI (the instruments, sometimes just called Kombi, but it was labelled BCKOMBI in my car)

At this stage I got errors related to tyre pressure control as it needed to be reset (the instruments forget what temporary information they have stored, like bord computer / trip / tyre pressures.

Quick test drive afterwards & cruise works perfectly, I get all the correct messages on the display, the green cruise control warning light and the red or green marker on the speedometer. The jockey wheel works perfectly too for increasing / decreasing the speed. All in all I'm very happy with this, especially as the cost was under £100 (incluing the eSys kit, which I will undoubtedly use again).

Hi bfleming, excelent write up. I`m just about doing the same in muy F30 ( waiting for the BMW part) Last part missing is coding. I'm afraid on doing something wrong. Can you please deep down on coding procedure?

*What does it mean "added code 544" how did yo do it?
*How do you code each ECU? Is it doing FDL Coding?
Thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 09:22 AM   #4
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesaroctavio_80 View Post

*What does it mean "added code 544" how did yo do it?
*How do you code each ECU? Is it doing FDL Coding?
Thanks for the help
I literally followed the guide, page 28 onwards, for the coding. It's all there in the steps.
Suzuki GSXR 750 2004/04
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 07:52 AM   #5
mikemerton10
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i 2013

Very useful!

Quote:

Coding...
- FEM (body)
- ICM

Hey,

Love this, I am not very mechanically or electrically minded! Just picked up my 116i, really like it! Doesn't have cruise and would be amazing to have it as I do such long driving.

Would you be willing to install for a fee? I can come your way if you don't come up to East Anglia meantime!

Thank you
Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 07:23 AM   #6
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Hi Mike
Drop me a direct message if you still need this doing. I'm in Hertfordshire, so not too far (for one of us)!
Cheers.
Suzuki GSXR 750 2004/04
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 07:48 AM   #7
N0m4d
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 118i (F20)

coding guide not available

Dear All,

Could someone share the guide with me? The URL seems to be broken for now :/
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 10:09 AM   #8
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0m4d View Post
Dear All,

Could someone share the guide with me? The URL seems to be broken for now :/
Try this one for the first, coding guide mentioned: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1502316308.

And this one for the second, "physical install" guide mentioned: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=988282. It has an external link actually so I guess it should be uploaded to this site to preserve it for the thread. So here it is, attached.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf DIY Cruise Control F30 F20.pdf (1.25 MB, 3129 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 04:38 AM   #9
N0m4d
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 118i (F20)

Thumbs up THANKS

Thank you very much for the information. This is that pdf guide I was exactly looking for.

I am very grateful. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 03:44 AM   #10
walt114i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 114i

Thanks for the write up! great help!!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 10:18 PM   #11
PatoE
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F21 M135i

Quote:

Coding...
- FEM (body)
- ICM

Hello! Sorry to revive the thread, but do you know the code for an F21 rather than an F20?

Thanks!

Ps. new to the forum, sorry if the reply was wrongly posted
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 11:22 AM   #12
aingaran92
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116D

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatoE View Post
Hello! Sorry to revive the thread, but do you know the code for an F21 rather than an F20?

Thanks!

Ps. new to the forum, sorry if the reply was wrongly posted
hi
its should be the same code for both cars
actually i think its the same code for most of the F** cars
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 11:27 AM   #13
cambridge07
Registered
Rep
Drives: M140I

Excellent Write up

Thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 08:47 AM   #14
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
A late addition to this thread.
VO code 544 adds cruise control with braking function to any Fxx car. If, however, you have a F4x car, so a FWD 2 series Grand Tourer or Active Tourer, the modules you need to code are different. In that case, you need to code:
  • BDC_Body
  • HU_xxxx e.g. entrynav
  • Kombi or BKombi (instruments)
  • DSC2
Note you select F056 on eSys to do that.

But for the F2x cars it remains:
  • FEM
  • ICM
  • Kombi or BKombi
Selecting F020 on eSys.
Suzuki GSXR 750 2004/04
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 10:16 AM   #15
ka_rai
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F20 118D

hi friends

i just coding FA with 249 & 544 because car go here without MF , car is F20
so i add cruise control & MF

MF working like charm
but i have error with cruise control during driving

i code FEM body + ICM + kombi

any idea ?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 12:35 PM   #16
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
If you have a base spec car (no LIM button) then cruise control retrofit is not straightforward as the instruments do not support cruise. To get it to work is a big expense on those cars as you need new instruments that support cruise. Any car with the LIM button seems to support cruise, but a car with no buttons doesn't.
If you have this, cruise is difficult:
Suzuki GSXR 750 2004/04
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 04:28 PM   #17
Brandonbmw1
BMW 1 brandon
England
Rep
Drives: BMW f20 116_ e36 M3 _ bmw f21

Hello all any ideas were I can find the guide as the link isn't working on original post thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 06:20 AM   #18
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonbmw1 View Post
Hello all any ideas were I can find the guide as the link isn't working on original post thanks
https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/show...8#post25755888
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 08:16 AM   #19
Mattmills8133
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 Series 120d

Hi all, I have done the physical part of the installation and now I have an error, "driver restraint system." Is this just something that needs clearing because the airbag had been removed? I have removed and replaced the airbag multiple times, unplugging and plugging the connector back in place too but it still comes up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 09:33 AM   #20
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattmills8133 View Post
Hi all, I have done the physical part of the installation and now I have an error, "driver restraint system." Is this just something that needs clearing because the airbag had been removed? I have removed and replaced the airbag multiple times, unplugging and plugging the connector back in place too but it still comes up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated?
You should've read the initial post carefully. I am absolutely positive I saw the battery needed being disconnected for this kind of work elsewhere around here as well. Now here you are: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1401334.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 04:05 PM   #21
King_Tubby
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 118i

Excellent tutorial. Thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 10:16 AM   #22
nivanikov
Germany
Rep