BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Why would anyone stay in a hotel?

08-30-2022, 08:24 PM   #1
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Why would anyone stay in a hotel?

We were in Maui for a week and I booked a beautiful AirBnB in Kapalua. Right on the beach (not right on the beach, but a 5 minute walk) Right next to Montage and The Ritz Carlton.

I paid $350 a night. With all of the cleaning / service charges the total was around $4K.

I was curious and the Ritz was charging $1000 a night for a STANDARD room. Literally, a basic room with no view.

Our condo had sweeping views of the ocean, nice kitchen, etc.

So what is the point of ever staying in a hotel again when you are planning a vacation? UberEats solves the room service and you can always get a daypass to a nice spa in a hotel. You can eat at the restaurants in the hotels if you really like them.

What are you getting? Daily cleaning and turndown service? That's all the value I see.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 09:00 PM   #2
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

You found a unicorn and are trying to establish a rule. Exceptions do exist.

Rule is hotels are built for purpose. AirBnbs can’t match them, unless you’re a large group and/or want a kitchen/laundry.
Plus, AirBnbs are usually more expensive.

I could be asking the opposite question, as I’d never chosen an AirBnb, and don’t think I’ll ever choose it over a hotel.
Appreciate 11
      08-30-2022, 09:10 PM   #3
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I have never stayed in an AirBnB either and don’t anticipate doing so. I have rented them for family in a building where we own a condo and there are some AirBnB’s, but that’s the extent of it for me. We only did that to have them in our building - and it was expensive. I particularly don’t like needing to pay upfront and having rigorous cancellation policies (30 days for full refund, 15 days for 50% in this case - not sure if the same everywhere). Hotels are more flexible - some allow cancellations up to 1 day in advance. Also, I’d prefer room service to having a kitchen. Also like to have on-site cleaning and other services plus someone more reachable to call if I need something. I also like knowing what to expect when I arrive because I generally stay at chains like Marriott.
________4158.50
dradernh4426.50
      08-30-2022, 09:11 PM   #4
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post

Rule is hotels are built for purpose. AirBnbs can’t match them, unless you’re a large group and/or want a kitchen/laundry.

I could be asking the opposite question, as I’d never chosen an AirBnb, and don’t think I’ll ever choose it over a hotel.
Ditto, and maybe for the same reasons, or maybe not.

To try to answer the OP: security. I dunno anything about AirBnB but anyone w a room can rent to ppl, right? So, who knows what spycams they could put in there. Besides that, cleanliness, customer service, good overall environment and other expected standards one assumes which comes w a recognized name brand hotel. One simply can't get that level of assurance renting from Joe's basement apt.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 3
      08-30-2022, 09:19 PM   #5
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

The first and last time I rented an Airbnb the house had mice that ran through the kitchen, eating food in the pantry and would wake you up at night running over your bed. We had videos and pictures and Airbnb could do nothing. ANY refund has to be approved by the owner. It is solely up to them. The only thing Airbnb could do was offer us a new location, but there was nothing available.

They also allow the owner to lengthen the resolution process passed the allotted time they allow you to leave feedback for the property. Before you know what the resolution is they close the ability for you to slam the owner. In the end I was given $200 back for a $4k rental with mice.

Never again.
Appreciate 4
________4158.50
vreihen1615402.50
Torgus3781.50
      08-30-2022, 09:21 PM   #6
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

How is that a unicorn? You can book the same property I booked at. I guarantee you I can find you a much better AirbBnb or VRBO in whatever city you want that is way cheaper and better than a comparable hotel.

No offense but the replies so far in this thread are ignorant. Comparing to Joe's Basement is ridiculous.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2022, 09:22 PM   #7
Gritty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

AirBnB /VRBO ...can be great but they are not consistent and have risks.
For example I rented an airbnb in Southern France and it was double booked. Closer to home a beach house i booked was put up for sale and the owner asked me to cancel my confirmed booking after she accepted my payment? Great when it works terrible when there is an issue.
I don't get those issues when booking with a realtor for a beach house or top tier hotel.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 09:24 PM   #8
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritty View Post
AirBnB /VRBO ...can be great but they are not consistent and have risks.
For example I rented an airbnb in Southern France and it was double booked. Closer to home a beach house i booked was put up for sale and the owner asked me to cancel my confirmed booking after she accepted my payment? Great when it works terrible when there is an issue.
I don't get those issues when booking with a realtor for a beach house or top tier hotel.
That's not the norm though. That's a one off. You have to filter by top reviews and normally the best reviewed properties are amazing.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 09:26 PM   #9
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
All have their purpose.

Requirement for a kitchen leans toward Airbnb and VRBO. We have used both many times and are satisfied.

Airbnb leans more towards the weird end of the spectrum. We stayed one night in a central arrondissement in Paris in a bump-out ground level apartment built in the courtyard (alley) between several buildings. Pretty weird, but it worked.

Second weird Airbnb story is a place in the Keys. The listing appeared to be a condo, but indeed mentioned "shared space" which means a room was being offered, not an entire property. In the end it worked out but it was weird. Read the listing description multiple times.

Hotel is good for very specific time and location requirements. We are staying one night in a hotel in Venice, Italy in September. Very specific location and timing requirement, with no special lodging requirement besides breakfast and clean bedding. Likewise on the final night of an international trip, it's best in our experience to spend that night at or near the airport. Solution is, again, hotel.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      08-30-2022, 09:32 PM   #10
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Why do people like to say “no offense” right before insulting someone else?
________4158.50
T0RM3NT3667.50
vreihen1615402.50
Bruuuce347.50
omasou2089.00
dradernh4426.50
      08-30-2022, 09:32 PM   #11
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
How is that a unicorn? You can book the same property I booked at. I guarantee you I can find you a much better AirbBnb or VRBO in whatever city you want that is way cheaper and better than a comparable hotel.

No offense but the replies so far in this thread are ignorant. Comparing to Joe's Basement is ridiculous.
Right, so your opinion is the right one, and everyone else is ignorant.
No need for a thread, was there?
Appreciate 6
P111573.50
sygazelle11449.50
LuvMyE923003.00
omasou2089.00
      08-30-2022, 09:33 PM   #12
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Maybe makes them feel better about it? No offence but that’s my opinion. And I don’t know the answer… got it?
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410988.50
      08-30-2022, 09:34 PM   #13
Gritty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
That's not the norm though. That's a one off. You have to filter by top reviews and normally the best reviewed properties are amazing.
I'm not saying it's the norm, but I've had two good bookings and two bad. Be very carful...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 09:37 PM   #14
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Haha, ok you mean me. None taken. I think you must be great at searching for the right place, but many ppl aren't as astute and/or can't be bothered. I personally feel better w a name brand even though I may be charged more or get less amenities or whatever combo, the assurances just seem better, vs that other poster going through that mouse prb, if that happened at a Hilton, he would definitely be way more compensated and treated better from the onset.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 3
Tyga113243.50
________4158.50
      08-30-2022, 09:40 PM   #15
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
I typically look at all available options... airbnb as well as hotels... and go with what makes the most sense in any given city. I've been to places where airbnb made a lot more sense, and then I've been to places where hotels were a much better option. Sometimes it's not just cost... but location. We recently went to traverse city, MI for the cherry festival... and while there were airbnb's available, none of them could compete with the amazing location we got from the hotel we stayed at.

We're going on a trip to Punta Cana in January, and they have absolutely beautiful airbnb properties to rent out. But we ended up going with a resort. Why? there's just something magical about a luxury all-inclusive experience that can't really be replicated with an airbnb.

When we went to San Diego nearly a year ago, we also looked at both airbnb and hotels. We ended up in a hotel because none of the airbnb locations nearby were competitive in pricing, and none were as nice as the hotel we stayed at.

So it really depends on city, location within the city, cost, services provided, etc.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 2
      08-30-2022, 09:41 PM   #16
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Right, so your opinion is the right one, and everyone else is ignorant.
No need for a thread, was there?
Just looking for counter opinions...I meant no offense to you or RickFLM4 I believe your posts are ignorant.

You didn't even address my post.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 09:55 PM   #17
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Just looking for counter opinions...I meant no offense to you or RickFLM4 I believe your posts are ignorant.

You didn't even address my post.
Fair enough. I didn’t.

Hotels:
- are clean
- are convenient
- are safe
- don’t require you to talk to an owner
- don’t make you feel like you’re a guest in someone’s home (when you’re paying a hefty amount for)
- usually don’t have noise from your neighbours or owners coming through
- can be cancelled/changed easily
- don’t have hidden fees
- have room service

AirBnbs:

- have kitchens
- often are larger and can accommodate larger groups

Pick yours. I’ve picked mine.

PS: as for the ignorant part, you’re correct.
I’m ignorant to the specific unit you rented, and are now making it be the standard to which AirBnb is judged. It isn’t.
Appreciate 3
      08-30-2022, 09:56 PM   #18
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

You are also comparing the Ritz with an Airbnb, maybe the Ritz was $1000 but maybe there was another hotel for $150. Maybe not but the point stands that you are making a very specific comparison in a specific area etc.

I have stayed at many amazing Airbnbs and have also stayed at many hotels. In my experience if just traveling with my gf and only staying a couple of night I find hotels tend to be cheaper. If we are a large group then there is no comparison Airbnbs are always the better deal and better experience. Also finding a good Airbnb takes more effort than finding a hotel. I know what to expect when I book a Marriott or what not, each Airbnb is unique and you have to research each one.

Another thing is all the rules with Airbnb. I'm sure they don't all have the same rules, but we stayed in one not that long ago and while it was awesome and we enjoyed it the checkout rules were a pita. You had to do all the dishes, remove all the sheets from all the beds and put them to wash, then you had to get all your trash and drive it like 15 min away to the dump because there was no garbage pickup in the area... in a hotel you just walk out. Again it may or may not be worth the added hassle depending on the specific trip.

So yeah, it's complicated, there are many variables, sometimes Airbnb is great, sometimes a hotel is better.
Appreciate 2
________4158.50
omasou2089.00
      08-30-2022, 10:01 PM   #19
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Haha, OP did go a tad bit too hard on that one. I'm sure you didn't mean that, right OP?

Anyway, these are all anecdotes from various posters, so I'm pretty sure that there's nothing ignorant about all those recounts. We're all here to learn (even though I pretty doubt I'll ever do an AirBnB).
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 10:12 PM   #20
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Fair enough. I didn’t.

Hotels:
- are clean
- are convenient
- are safe
- don’t require you to talk to an owner
- don’t make you feel like you’re a guest in someone’s home (when you’re paying a hefty amount for)
- usually don’t have noise from your neighbours or owners coming through
- can be cancelled/changed easily
- don’t have hidden fees
- have room service

AirBnbs:

- have kitchens
- often are larger and can accommodate larger groups

Pick yours. I’ve picked mine.

PS: as for the ignorant part, you’re correct.
I’m ignorant to the specific unit you rented, and are now making it be the standard to which AirBnb is judged. It isn’t.
Where are you coming up with this? How aren't Airbnb's safe, clean, convenient, etc? Talking to the owner means getting the door code and maybe telling them you're checked out (sound familiar?)

There are hidden fees but those are disclosed at the time of booking and include service fees, cleaning fees, etc. No different than resort charges.

How about this for convenience; walking thru the hotel lobby and waiting for an elevator and walking another 2 min to get to your room. You're not dealing with that with Airbnbs.

What's the point of room service when you have UberEats? Better and less expensive.
Appreciate 1
Jbrown74032643.50
      08-30-2022, 11:16 PM   #21
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:

That pretty much tells you all you need to know.

The OP could have said he had a great time at an Airbnb in Hawaii or I prefer airbnb because it's a better value. No, he had to say "Why would anyone stay in a hotel" and then attempts to insult those who respond. And this reaction is right after spending a week relaxing on Maui.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      08-30-2022, 11:57 PM   #22
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Where are you coming up with this? How aren't Airbnb's safe, clean, convenient, etc? Talking to the owner means getting the door code and maybe telling them you're checked out (sound familiar?)

There are hidden fees but those are disclosed at the time of booking and include service fees, cleaning fees, etc. No different than resort charges.

How about this for convenience; walking thru the hotel lobby and waiting for an elevator and walking another 2 min to get to your room. You're not dealing with that with Airbnbs.

What's the point of room service when you have UberEats? Better and less expensive.
Do you work for Airbnb or something? You start a thread literally asking "why would anyone stay in a hotel" and when people answer your question, you do nothing but insult their answer or defend your stance.

Never in a million years would I stay in an Airbnb when just traveling with my wife. Hotels all the way.
Appreciate 4
________4158.50
dradernh4426.50