BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > 12 FWD BMW and MINI Models Approved, Out of Up to 20 Proposed Models

11-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #23
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Front wheel drive 3 series, it's only a matter or time. Lol
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #24
BMW-RaceR
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 Mini Cooper S, 74 Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
I would assume that to mean that the next generation of the 2-series (based on the 2017+ FWD 1-series platform) will likely be FWD as well. That's a real shame, as it means BMW will no longer make a small RWD car. BMW's smallest RWD platform going forward (no pun intended) is going to be the successor to the F30? The F30 is already a mid-size car, and its successor is only going to get longer. Why is BMW walking away from the market that wants small, capable, RWD cars?
Yupp. I was assuming the same. Hoping I was wrong..
As you say, that would be a real shame.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #25
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

As long as we have a small rwd sedan, coupe, and roadster I don't give a fuck what they do.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #26
xspeedy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

BMW is lost as a brand.
      11-25-2012, 11:07 PM   #27
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xspeedy View Post
BMW is lost as a brand.
They're not lost. In fact, they're the opposite of lost. We might not like their decisions for future cars but they're doing what's necessary to make a profit and keep shareholders happy.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 02:54 AM   #28
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
He said BMW's larger vehicles from the 3 series and upward will remain rear-wheel drive. "These are powerful cars so I really don't see a front-wheel-drive model in this segment as being as successful," Draeger added.
Someone better get on the phone to the boys down at Audi and tell them.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 02:59 AM   #29
scargizmo
Rep
Drives: 135ic 2010 manual

So the 4-cylinder M2 is confirmed. Not the news, but painful never the less: BMW will never make it as light as 1100-1200 kg to be really interesting. A pity.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 03:12 AM   #30
VANOS
NFS
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 04:18 AM   #31
KSERGEI-BY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 tdi DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
Someone better get on the phone to the boys down at Audi and tell them.
They have quattro for the power applications. Modern quattro is 60% rwd with options like sport dif etc. So - statement is correct.
      11-26-2012, 05:07 AM   #32
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

This is wonderful news. Fwd saves a lot of weight, a huge percentage drop in small cars and does wonders for power/weight ratio. Some don't care about power / weight ratio, but is you have been lapping a small fwd vs heavier small rwd car you know what I'm talking about. These new cars will be quick! BMW seems to have the right vision and is the brand that does really well compared to others.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 05:13 AM   #33
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
BMW is lost as a brand.
Quite the opposite.
No one can afford to stand still and growth is more important than relying on standing still in established segments and markets.
BMW is not market centric we are global company which caters to the global market.

As I have said numerous times before there is a strategy and the Active Tourer concept confirms this strategy that both MINI and BMW can co-exist in the compact segment, The Active Tourer is possibly not coming to the US because it will not be shown at this weeks LA Autoshow.
BMW have today confirmed that a LWB Active Tourer is considered for the Chinese market since the 5er Li and the latest 3er Li which is outselling Audi's A4L by a considerable margin.

In the auto industry you have to have the ability to identify the trends in the market and where the markets are heading and then plan your strategy accordingly. Today the markets are favouring compact cars , SUV in all sizes and status and crossovers. This is what manufacturers have to work to - what is important to the customer and what is important to the demands of the market.

A recent report regarding the European crisis failed to include BMW's strong european demand for the MINI models, 1er , X1 , 3er , 3er Touring ,X3 and 5er models.

Specific markets cater for more luxury for example so BMW are looking at further options.
Take as an example (but not the only example) BMW's largest market China. They have just anounced another increase, a significant increase over last year that our China projections have now been altered with a new three year plan for increased luxury models.

Also I was recently in India where BMW are also experiencing rapid growth as is Brazil . These markets will demand smaller concepts and the FWD family is the perfect model for continuous growth.

BMW is a different kind of car company we do not think like the others we express our values differently. BMW's main competitor is Mercedes-Benz who also express their values differently.
We stress that individuality in every car and that is why we are number 1.

There is serious interest (which can be registered on the main site about the Active Tourer concept) which so far has many enquiries.
The car was well received by both public and the media and the finished model is not much different, 90% of the concept is in the production car.

The Active Tourer showed the beginning of BMW's journey.
Having seen the first cars that are incoming against competitors and even its MINI sibling. The designers and engineers have fulfilled the brief. Not only do they stand out in appearance but the engineers sought to make the best handling FWD cars , those who have driven the cars claim the next MINI and BMW's Urbanic city car outdrive and outsteer the equivalent Audi A1.

Everybody has an opinion and are allowed to express that opinion.
Nevertheless , I hope you enjoy your Caddy , Audi etc.

Last edited by SCOTT26; 11-26-2012 at 05:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #34
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspeedy
BMW is lost as a brand.
BMW is not lost yet. Are they loosing their way? Maybe, but I think the enthusiast value of the brand lies in the 2-Series. If they screw that up in terms of driving feel then yes they are lost.

I think the most basic cause of this sentiment is that Reithofer is too good of a CEO. He is so concentrated on keeping BMW independent that most of the time the enthusiasts get put on the back burner. Hopefully he will loosen up a bit when BMW reaches their two million car goal.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #35
snipe
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Not only do they stand out in appearance but the engineers sought to make the best handling FWD cars , those who have driven the cars claim the next MINI and BMW's Urbanic city car outdrive and outsteer the equivalent Audi A1.

Everybody has an opinion and are allowed to express that opinion.
Nevertheless , I hope you enjoy your Caddy , Audi etc.
That wouldn't be very difficult. Some people might like the A1's design, but the handling is not too well. But does the new BMW outdrive and outsteer the best FWD-cars? Is it better than a Ford Focus or Renault Clio RS? Does it beat a Giulietta?

And for the record: I don't have a Caddy or an Audi ;-)
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #36
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Basically, BMW intends to leverage its brand across wider markets and if that entails FWD, so be it. The fear is that BMW will sacrafice the performance side of the brand to achieve its growth. Sure, they'll still make M3s, M5s, etc., but those cars will be few in numbers and high in price. The question will be what the brand will become if the majority of vehicles being made bear little relationship to the performance cars other than badges and kidney grilles? The announcements essentially confirm that the primary face of the brand is luxury with asperations to performance. Sadly, the word that the M2 will be a low horsepower vehicle suggests that you'll need significantly more money to aquire that famed performance. Anyone thinking that the M2 will be redeemed by being light weight will likely be disappointed because that's not the brand and you're starting with a 2 series platform. It won't be a Toyburu or a Lotus. It will be just like the other entry-level BMW cars - asperational.
      11-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #37
snipe
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Basically, BMW intends to leverage its brand across wider markets and if that entails FWD, so be it. The fear is that BMW will sacrafice the performance side of the brand to achieve its growth. Sure, they'll still make M3s, M5s, etc., but those cars will be few in numbers and high in price. The question will be what the brand will become if the majority of vehicles being made bear little relationship to the performance cars other than badges and kidney grilles? The announcements essentially confirm that the primary face of the brand is luxury with asperations to performance.
On the other side, they may have seen what happened to Porsche's brand image. Nobody really buys a 911; their customers are elderly people who like the comfort of a Panamera or a Cayenne. But everyone still thinks Porsche is a sportscar brand.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #38
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe View Post
On the other side, they may have seen what happened to Porsche's brand image. Nobody really buys a 911; their customers are elderly people who like the comfort of a Panamera or a Cayenne. But everyone still thinks Porsche is a sportscar brand.
If Porsche were still independant they would be an interesting comparison, but now they belong to VW which may keep them safe within their niche or may lead to Porsche badges on minivans.
      11-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #39
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Quote:
BMW is lost as a brand.
No way. BMW is on a roll.
      11-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #40
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

BMW has lost it's brand value

Might as well Move onto porsche
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #41
KSERGEI-BY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 tdi DCT

I need no fwd bmw in my garage(and to be honest no 4wd too). There are other brands to consider.
      11-27-2012, 01:42 AM   #42
Newby
1Mtech
Rep
Drives: BMW

I am repulsed by the idea of a FWD BMW
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 05:42 AM   #43
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
They're not lost. In fact, they're the opposite of lost. We might not like their decisions for future cars but they're doing what's necessary to make a profit and keep shareholders happy.
Gee, I thought the idea was to keep the customer happy too.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 06:06 AM   #44
xspeedy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So I guess all that stuff about 50/50 weight balance for great driving dynamics and safety BMW has been touting for the past 45 years or so was all just a bunch of f'ing bullshit. I wonder where they'll put the Battery now.

Hey BMW, if you want to become mainstream like GM, Toyota, Ford, et.al., then start selling cars that are LESS EXPENSIVE and cheaper to repair (and don't have $1,200 waterpump replacement costs).

Cadillac here I come.
Awesome! Thank you sir.