BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Dating - Good/Bad Experiences

05-24-2019, 01:19 PM   #3719
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
hooker

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13189.00
      05-27-2019, 09:18 PM   #3720
FuzzyPeaches
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

I have a good one. But first.... Do we have any widows/widowers in here?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 09:49 PM   #3721
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPeaches View Post
There's just one guy dating a widow.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 11:10 AM   #3722
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
I can appreciate your consideration of the feelings of others on here, but......drop whatever this story is that I can only consider some soon to be greatness

Appreciate 3
      05-28-2019, 12:43 PM   #3723
FuzzyPeaches
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
I can appreciate your consideration of the feelings of others on here, but......drop whatever this story is that I can only consider some soon to be greatness

LOL! Its not for the feelings of those here. Its more me looking for advice since I've started dating a widow.

I was also a little drunk last night when I posted that and don't normally put my issues out there for people I don't know. I might come back after work and throw the pieces out there and see if anyone can help me put them together correctly.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 12:49 PM   #3724
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

a widow/widower needs time. my ex bil's wife died when she was 35. that was 6 years ago. i dont think he started dating again for 4 years after that
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13189.00
      05-28-2019, 12:49 PM   #3725
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
LOL! Its not for the feelings of those here. Its more me looking for advice since I've started dating a widow.

I was also a little drunk last night when I posted that and don't normally put my issues out there for people I don't know. I might come back after work and throw the pieces out there and see if anyone can help me put them together correctly.
You have come to the right place. I'm sure this will not come to a shock of anyone who has read this thread from beginning to end, but I have some experience with widows. Let's have your query and I will either give you the best or worst advice (sometimes it's both) you've ever had.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8226.00
      05-28-2019, 12:51 PM   #3726
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
a widow/widower needs time. my ex bil's wife died when she was 35. that was 6 years ago. i dont think he started dating again for 4 years after that
Not always the case. I've seen both sides of the spectrum on this. Really depends on the person and the mental duress they are under. Children born of said marriage play a hand in this as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 06:45 AM   #3727
FuzzyPeaches
Private First Class
Rep

Sorry. I forgot about this once I got home last night.

Things with her seem to be going really well, but then she starts getting weird and saying typical things like "I'm just worried about timing" and such. She comes across as wanting to date but being very worried that she can't spend enough time with me as a single mother to 2 young teens.

I just keep trying to put her at ease that I'm good with spending whatever time we can find together.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 08:06 AM   #3728
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Things with her seem to be going really well, but then she starts getting weird and saying typical things like "I'm just worried about timing" and such. She comes across as wanting to date but being very worried that she can't spend enough time with me as a single mother to 2 young teens.

I just keep trying to put her at ease that I'm good with spending whatever time we can find together.
Sounds like you actually have yourself a keeper. She's obviously a forward thinker as timing/her time/your time is a consideration and not an afterthought. I would simply let her know, that if you truly feel that, whatever time she can make for you is enough. In the event that she isn't using that as an excuse as not to get tied down then you should be good. Just continue to be considerate, warm, accepting and reassuring. Keep in mind that although you may be (or feel that you are) doing everything right while being patient, this doesn't mean that it will go the way you want. Resilience is key here. If it doesn't turn out the way you want, it doesn't mean that you failed and it doesn't make her a bad person. Funny things those emotions.

How long ago did her significant other pass? How long were they together?

If she's spending any time at all with you it's good sign. Stay your path and keep us informed.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8226.00
      05-29-2019, 08:22 AM   #3729
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:

Quote:
Sounds like you actually have yourself a keeper. She's obviously a forward thinker as timing/her time/your time is a consideration and not an afterthought. I would simply let her know, that if you truly feel that, whatever time she can make for you is enough. In the event that she isn't using that as an excuse as not to get tied down then you should be good. Just continue to be considerate, warm, accepting and reassuring. Keep in mind that although you may be (or feel that you are) doing everything right while being patient, this doesn't mean that it will go the way you want. Resilience is key here. If it doesn't turn out the way you want, it doesn't mean that you failed and it doesn't make her a bad person. Funny things those emotions.

If she's spending any time at all with you it's good sign. Stay your path and keep us informed.
Whoa there "Rudi"...now I know I say that we are all therapists here (with the exception of an Uncle who...well, you know...becomes two words and all). But as with all good therapists, you need to pay a price for therapy.

And Fuzzy here promised us a story as payment. You went and let him have the milk before he bought the cow.

Good comments, no doubt...but Fuzzy - you owe us a story!
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go16529.50
King Rudi13189.00
      05-29-2019, 08:27 AM   #3730
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Whoa there "Rudi"...now I know I say that we are all therapists here (with the exception of an Uncle who...well, you know...becomes two words and all). But as with all good therapists, you need to pay a price for therapy.

And Fuzzy here promised us a story as payment. You went and let him have the milk before he bought the cow.

Good comments, no doubt...but Fuzzy - you owe us a story!
Story Shmory! Leave the boy alone and let him enjoy his widow chase-ry!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 08:31 AM   #3731
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:

Quote:
Story Shmory! Leave the boy alone and let him enjoy his widow chase-ry!
You understand, of course, that I find the dichotomy of these two statements from the same person to be amusing...right?

My memory is still somewhat sharp me auld son.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 08:39 AM   #3732
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
You understand, of course, that I find the dichotomy of these two statements from the same person to be amusing...right?

My memory is still somewhat sharp me auld son.
Alright fine! Spill it FuzzyPeaches
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 08:48 AM   #3733
FuzzyPeaches
Private First Class
Rep

OH... I'm afraid there's going to be a little disappointment here. As I said previously, I was a bit under the influence when I made the original post. There's no real "story". More a situation for the collective mind here to mull over and good good, bad, or hilarious advice.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 08:49 AM   #3734
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
OH... I'm afraid there's going to be a little disappointment here. As I said previously, I was a bit under the influence when I made the original post. There's no real "story". More a situation for the collective mind here to mull over and good good, bad, or hilarious advice.
Be a sport and make some shit up. A dating thread revival is needed. More cowbell anyone? Where the hell is Pickle???
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 08:52 AM   #3735
someguywithanm3
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
There's just one guy dating a widow.
Am I that guy?

I'm currently dating one and I'm loving it. She does talk about her dead husband from time to time, but I'm ok with it. She treats me really well and I'm really lucky to have her.

It did take a long time for her to go from friend to something more though. That was a frustrating experience.
Appreciate 5
      05-29-2019, 08:52 AM   #3736
FuzzyPeaches
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
All good advice and exactly how I'm trying to respond to the situation.

Quote:
He passed around 3 years ago. I'm not sure the exact amount of time, but I'm guessing near 15 years since the oldest would have been 11 when he passed.

She has also had a failed 1.5 year relationship in the time between the death of her husband and now.

Quote:
That's how I'm taking it. She did invite me over to her neighborhood pool over the weekend saying it would be nice to have me there with her. I'm not able to go to her house though, because she isn't ready to explain to her kids who I am.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13189.00
      05-29-2019, 08:54 AM   #3737
FuzzyPeaches
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguywithanm3 View Post
Am I that guy?

I'm currently dating one and I'm loving it. She does talk about her dead husband from time to time, but I'm ok with it. She treats me really well and I'm really lucky to have her.

It did take a long time for her to go from friend to something more though. That was a frustrating experience.
What's the time-frame for your experience? How long after she became a widow and how long did it take for you to move into the "more" roll?

I understand everyone is different.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13189.00
      05-29-2019, 08:56 AM   #3738
someguywithanm3
Private
Rep

Quote:
That's how I'm taking it. She did invite me over to her neighborhood pool over the weekend saying it would be nice to have me there with her. I'm not able to go to her house though, because she isn't ready to explain to her kids who I am.
Keep doing what you're doing and good luck.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13189.00
      05-29-2019, 09:01 AM   #3739
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
All good advice and exactly how I'm trying to respond to the situation.

He passed around 3 years ago. I'm not sure the exact amount of time, but I'm guessing near 15 years since the oldest would have been 11 when he passed.

She has also had a failed 1.5 year relationship in the time between the death of her husband and now.

Interesting on the time frames. Both length of time with the deceased husband and the 1.5 year relationship after indicates that she isn't someone who demonstrates what I refer to as "monkey syndrome" (going from limb to limb to support her all while not letting go of one limb until she already has her hand on another). This is very much a good thing. Not common in today's dating scene. Also the lack of being able to go to her house in avoidance of the conversation with the kids as to who you are is noble as well. No guidance needed here. You already know what you must do, just continue. This could mutually beneficial.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2019, 09:02 AM   #3740
someguywithanm3
Private
Rep

Quote:
What's the time-frame for your experience? How long after she became a widow and how long did it take for you to move into the "more" roll?

I understand everyone is different.
She became a widow about 3-4 years ago. It took about 5-6 months (I think). It was a lot of work though. I gave up and that's when she reached out to me saying she loved me.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13189.00