BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Bmw 116d SE VS Sport?

07-01-2019, 07:06 AM   #1
BMW116D3
Rep
Drives: BMw 1 series

Bmw 116d SE VS Sport?

I am looking to buy a new car and after some research i've decided to go for the Bmw 116d 3 door black automatic but not sure whether to go for the SE or Sport. I want the SE.

Becuase the SE has softer suspension (is that right or wrong?) which is not as low as the Sport version's suspension (which wont look as good, having a lower car always looks better IMO) but on the plus side the ride will be better.

Also, the rims are smaller and the tyres are thicker which combined provides a smoother and more comfortable ride which is what i am looking for vs the harder, bumpier sportier ride of the sport.

Also, is it right that the SE (Special Equipment) has more equipment, feature and gadgets as standard than the Sport?

Also i acutally prefer the look of the SE seats vs the sports and the SE seats look comfyer. This may have bene confirmed as i've heard the sport seats.

I want to make sure the gearbox is the 8 speed and not the 6 and also it has pillarless windows, sat nv and pakrign sensors. Anythign else is a plus such as led lights and whathave you.

My budget is only £6k so not sure hwo the heck i will be buying one... I;ve seen a few sport models go for £7400 which is getitng closer to my budget. Every day that passes the price will come down so.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 01:47 PM   #2
emil111
Second Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW 114d

I am quite certain that there is no 6 speed auto on the f20.......so yeah....it is an 8 speed gearbox
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 11:59 AM   #3
BMW116D3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emil111 View Post
I am quite certain that there is no 6 speed auto on the f20.......so yeah....it is an 8 speed gearbox
I’m pretty sure I came across an advert for a bmw for sale or a YouTube video review where it said it was a 6 speed. I’ll be getting the 8 speed for good fuel consumption and I think having 8 gears is cool and good as I’ve never had so many gears in a car before!

Can you answer my initial post? Or anyone for that matter?

This forum is shit man. Much worse than the vxronline forum! Even worse than scootershack which is for scooters/mopeds!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 01:51 PM   #4
emil111
Second Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW 114d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW116D3 View Post
I’m pretty sure I came across an advert for a bmw for sale or a YouTube video review where it said it was a 6 speed. I’ll be getting the 8 speed for good fuel consumption and I think having 8 gears is cool and good as I’ve never had so many gears in a car before!

Can you answer my initial post? Or anyone for that matter?

This forum is shit man. Much worse than the vxronline forum! Even worse than scootershack which is for scooters/mopeds!
You are free to use any forum you desire
Yawn....your manners leave much to be desired.... . Nobody here is obligated to respond to your post,nobody here is required to reply to your plethora of questions....
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 08:25 AM   #5
BMW116D3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emil111 View Post
You are free to use any forum you desire
Yawn....your manners leave much to be desired.... . Nobody here is obligated to respond to your post,nobody here is required to reply to your plethora of questions....
I literally asked one or two questions! And lots of people ask questions in this site infact most thread begin with a question so don’t single me out by saying I am sending a plethora of them!

This site is shit.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 09:33 PM   #6
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Your questions are very market specific, and this is an international forum. Most of us don't know what your dealers offer in their local packages.

About pillarless windows: The five door one series has fixed window frames. Never heard abour an F20/F21 with a six speed automatic gearbox, so if it was six speed, it was probably manual, like mine.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 02:43 AM   #7
BMW116D3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Your questions are very market specific, and this is an international forum. Most of us don't know what your dealers offer in their local packages.

About pillarless windows: The five door one series has fixed window frames. Never heard abour an F20/F21 with a six speed automatic gearbox, so if it was six speed, it was probably manual, like mine.
I never mentioned 5 door I said 3 door which have pilarless doors. Surely the se has more features as standard?

I mean it stands for special equipment after all!

What’s the difference in suspension between the two also?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 06:21 AM   #8
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

About the suspension, there is the regular suspension, M-Sport suspension, and Performance suspension. The Performance suspension is an option almost nobody knows about, and I have never seen a car which actually was sold with it.

I would guess that the SE comes with the regular suspension as default, but M-Sport suspension could have been added as an option, so you need to check the options belonging to the VIN number of the car you are looking at.

In the Sport car, the M-Sport suspension is default, but it is not uncommon to delete that option at no cost. Once again, check the VIN options.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 08:33 AM   #9
BMW116D3
Rep

I think the sport bmw 116d suspension is lower and stiffer?

And the bmw116d se the suspension is not as low so the car isn’t as low but it is a comfy less stiffer smoother ride which I prefer and the ask thebtyres and rims as I mentioned before are different sizes...

Seems like the se is the car to go for for every day use getting from a to b.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 12:16 PM   #10
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

As I said, it depends on which suspension it has. As it is optional, you can find a 116d with M-Sport suspension, and a 116d Sport without it.

Wheels and tyres are also optional. You could get 16" on a Sport, and 18" on regular 116d.
That is why you need to look up the VIN number of the car you are interested in, and check the option list for that exact car online.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 08:56 PM   #11
bond091
Registered
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: bmw 116i 2013

i have sport version of 116i and its good then se.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW116D3 View Post
I am looking to buy a new car and after some research i've decided to go for the Bmw 116d 3 door black automatic but not sure whether to go for the SE or Sport. I want the SE.

Becuase the SE has softer suspension (is that right or wrong?) which is not as low as the Sport version's suspension (which wont look as good, having a lower car always looks better IMO) but on the plus side the ride will be better.

Also, the rims are smaller and the tyres are thicker which combined provides a smoother and more comfortable ride which is what i am looking for vs the harder, bumpier sportier ride of the sport.

Also, is it right that the SE (Special Equipment) has more equipment, feature and gadgets as standard than the Sport?

Also i acutally prefer the look of the SE seats vs the sports and the SE seats look comfyer. This may have bene confirmed as i've heard the sport seats.

I want to make sure the gearbox is the 8 speed and not the 6 and also it has pillarless windows, sat nv and pakrign sensors. Anythign else is a plus such as led lights and whathave you.

My budget is only £6k so not sure hwo the heck i will be buying one... I;ve seen a few sport models go for £7400 which is getitng closer to my budget. Every day that passes the price will come down so.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 06:36 AM   #12
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
About the suspension, there is the regular suspension, M-Sport suspension, and Performance suspension. The Performance suspension is an option almost nobody knows about, and I have never seen a car which actually was sold with it.
This is because it's a retrofit item, not a factory option. Interestingly, it's not in my accessories booklet of 2012 although the link claims it's available since August 2012.

The third factory suspension option is "Adaptive M Sport Suspension" ("This optional suspension is lowered by 10 mm, providing exceptional driving comfort, increased agility and precise handling. Dampers continuously react to the road surface and driving style, and this option includes Drive Performance Control with ECO PRO, Comfort, Sport and Sport+ modes." - UK brochure of April 2014). Something makes me doubt it really works as described, like on the "upper" models (Why would they lie? ), and only adjusts dampers statically, according to the driving mode chosen. Anyway it looks like the M-Sport suspension with adaptive dampers that can make it (slightly: lowering limits dives?) softer if desired.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 09:27 AM   #13
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

I think the adaptive dampers are supposed to be slightly stiffer in their stiffest setting than the non adjustable M-Sport dampers. That can be an advantage when lowering the car more, with stiffer springs, which a lot of BMW owners actually do. Some people think the soft setting is comfortable, but in my opinion it makes the cars feel more bouncy.

A surprisingly high amount of M-Sport cars are also delivered with non-sport-suspension, because the first owner considered the M-Sport suspension too stiff for their liking. Or perpaps they wanted that extra 10 mm of ground clearance.
Appreciate 0