BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Calling for m50i owners with cooling fan issue

05-03-2023, 11:06 PM   #1
Ninja_H
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Calling for m50i owners with cooling fan issue

Back in July 2022, I was driving on some California roads just gotten off the highway and all of a sudden I heard a loud bang from underneath my car. My first reaction was I might have just hit something on the road since there are just way too much debris (tires, wheels, lumber, mattress, etc) often seen on California roads. But I'm certain that I paid attention to the road in front of me and there was nothing there. So the only thing possible was something was wrong with my car.

Luckily I just got off the highway so that I could pull over into a gas station right after I heard the bang. After I came to a complete stop, I saw a trail of liquid following my path into the gas station and it was green. Thanks to that little knowledge on mine, I was able to realize it was coolant leaking from my car. I did what everyone should do, turned off the car immediately and called for a tow truck.

I first sent my car to a friend of mine who works at a BMW dealership to check what was going on. He told me my fan's gone as well as my radiator and told me the procedure of fixing this would involve replacing all the refrigerant in AC system. At this point, I knew it was something that can't be done at his house at had to send my car to the dealership. His dealership of course.

His chief technician quoted me a fan, and a radiator plus some labor and I knew it was not a rip off so I agreed. At the time of this incident, my car was around 70k miles and past the warranty so I had to pay for this repair costing me 4k USD. I asked them to keep all the replaced parts and it turned out my cooling fan somehow either exploded or detached or something while running at high speed which damaged my radiator.

I still remember that day and that bang which cost me 4k, but luckily it was running fine since the repair, and have had no problem for the following 21k miles.
      05-03-2023, 11:07 PM   #2
Ninja_H
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

I just learned there are other m50i owners having same problem, cooling fans blow out while driving. I want to know if there are other incidents like this out there. Could this be next class action lawsuit?