BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > What are some things you think DON'T belong in a car?

04-22-2023, 03:16 PM   #23
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
They were rhetorical questions.
No they weren't, if you don't like the answers you get to your questions don't ask them in the first place.
Efthreeoh17146.50
Piper1569.50
      04-22-2023, 03:20 PM   #24
R BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328Xi GT, 2020 X3 MC

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M Comp  [0.00]
2014 328Xi GT  [10.00]
My answer, Most drivers.
Appreciate 4
PcarFan932.00
dradernh4343.00
      04-22-2023, 03:26 PM   #25
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
They still sell those?

Everyone can read a map, the question is do they want to though?
You'd be surprised how many people do not know how to read a paper map.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 3
dradernh4343.00
Piper1569.50
      04-22-2023, 03:34 PM   #26
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyknot View Post
No they weren't, if you don't like the answers you get to your questions don't ask them in the first place.
Haha, why are you getting testy? Ofc they were, as in OF COURSE maps are still sold, just that not many ppl use them, and this leads to my 2nd rhetorical, why use them, when there are BETTER ways to do things now?

I don't care what you do, so there's nothing to like or dislike smh. Jezuz, talk about a touchy granny lmao.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 03:35 PM   #27
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
You'd be surprised how many people do not know how to read a paper map.
Ya, you're right, I should know better than to use absolutes.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 05:55 PM   #28
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Imagine trying to read a paper map while driving a car in traffic.... Satnav is fecking awesome. I could drive pretty much anywhere in the world and not get lost because the thing that fits in my pocket will simply reroute if I make a mistake and tell me where to go. How is that not a good thing??

My things that don't belong in/on cars; animals (pets or feral), budget tyres, air fresheners, puke, rust... I'm sure there's more that I can't think of right now, or don't know until someone tries to put them in my car
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2023, 06:08 PM   #29
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Imagine trying to read a paper map while driving a car in traffic.... Satnav is fecking awesome. I could drive pretty much anywhere in the world and not get lost because the thing that fits in my pocket will simply reroute if I make a mistake and tell me where to go. How is that not a good thing??
Yup, imagine whipping up the map spread-eagle in the cabin while trying to drive? GPS is the shizzle, not to mention instant traffic updates/rerouting options, in addition to stuff like police alerts, nearby gas stns, shops, etc, the list is extensive. Now, try that w a paper map. I dunno why some ppl bother unless one is tech-adverse or just plain old obstinate.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 07:18 PM   #30
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

everyone is magellan till the internet goes down
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17146.50
      04-22-2023, 07:36 PM   #31
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper1 View Post
My god how did we ever make it out of an era of playing in the street and all the play ground equipment painted in lead based paint GPS once lead us down the wrong road to a dead end trying to find my folks new place in upstate NY. Turned out it loaded the wrong same name road into our destination with the same address in the same zip. When I called my dad asked him exactly where he said “there’s a big red barn that you take a left at”. A BIG RED BARN in upstate NY is like every corner lol. Stop at a post office and got a paper map and directions because the GPS was utter shite. At some point people need to start using their brains again and start using phones as phones again

btw if you know how to use paper maps and know how to fold them you don’t spread them spread eagle you only have certain sections open at a time that take up less room than an iPad 1. That was before they made them in spiral binders.
I grew up before computers too, but one cannot stop progress. Can't believe there are ppl defending maps, cmon, get w the times. Just cuz you cited a bad blip doesn't mean that's the norm...cmon dude (or dudette).
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 07:38 PM   #32
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
That's true, there was a Twilight Zone episode where all knowledge was in virtual space and electricity didn't exist anymore and everyone went 'dumb' cuz they couldn't access books and other materials.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 08:24 PM   #33
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Nothing wrong with progress. BUT there’s something very wrong in the willingness in forgetting what you know or unwillingness to know, which causes us to regress. Being an 18 century living history reenactor for more than half my life I see plenty day by day of us going backward not forward never seeming to learn from our mistakes so we create AI to do it for us. If only 42 was that simple. Seems progress and regress are evolving together.
Ya, I get what you're saying but this massive force is hard to deny, e.g. virtually everyone has a 'smart'phone and relies upon it. There is a fine line between trying to stay alert and putting everything in one's brain/memory vs getting ridiculously tedious though.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 09:03 PM   #34
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
Last I checked, paper maps do not require batteries.
Appreciate 2
Piper1569.50
M5Rick59523.00
      04-22-2023, 09:05 PM   #35
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup, imagine whipping up the map spread-eagle in the cabin while trying to drive? GPS is the shizzle, not to mention instant traffic updates/rerouting options, in addition to stuff like police alerts, nearby gas stns, shops, etc, the list is extensive. Now, try that w a paper map. I dunno why some ppl bother unless one is tech-adverse or just plain old obstinate.
GPS is about the easiest RF signal to jam. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 09:09 PM   #36
AWDtoRWD
Private
Rep
Drives: 23' R1S & 21' M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
smart phones
why not?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 09:36 PM   #37
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Rapid City --> Billings

Your best route, and why. Lay it out for us. Don't be shy, now. I know you won't!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 10:02 PM   #38
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
GPS is about the easiest RF signal to jam. Lol.
Now retrogrouches are just making up stuff lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Rapid City --> Billings

Your best route, and why. Lay it out for us. Don't be shy, now. I know you won't!
Why would I bother going to 2 insignificant places? LOL.

Srsly, I bet I could read the map better than most of you guys, I lived in HK *pre* GPS and made my own itineraries; it's nothing like in N Amer w straight roads and where you miss an exit and you can easily take the next one doubling-back. Don't even bother ppl.

Anyway, enough of this silly map fetish. What the....
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 10:18 PM   #39
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
My god how did we ever make it out of an era of playing in the street and all the play ground equipment painted in lead based paint GPS once lead us down the wrong road to a dead end trying to find my folks new place in upstate NY. Turned out it loaded the wrong same name road into our destination with the same address in the same zip. When I called my dad asked him exactly where he said “there’s a big red barn that you take a left at”. A BIG RED BARN in upstate NY is like every corner lol. Stop at a post office and got a paper map and directions because the GPS was utter shite. At some point people need to start using their brains again and start using phones as phones again

btw if you know how to use paper maps and know how to fold them you don’t spread them spread eagle you only have certain sections open at a time that take up less room than an iPad 1. That was before they made them in spiral binders.
You do realize pretty much all modern GPS/navigation systems ARE maps right? You could just turn off navigation and use it solely as a map. I've done it. You can also download them, so they work offline. I'm also pretty sure almost anyone could figure out how to read a map if they needed to.

Personally, I prefer celestial navigation myself.
Appreciate 1
Joachim326.50
      04-23-2023, 02:53 AM   #40
Joachim
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition X-Drive [2022]

Quote:
Last I checked, paper maps do not require batteries.
Checked it a week ago on a longer Sunday walk in the country's forest near 10 pm. Thank god I had batteries for the flash light of my cellphone.
(Yes, today is my mean day.)
      04-23-2023, 03:05 AM   #41
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Batteries dying low signal poor connection electrical gremlins instant updates at the worst possible time…..
1. In-car charger
2. Happens, but rare. Only happened to me once in ~15 years.
3. Same as 2?
4. Turn them off if that's a concern.
Bear in mind you can download map sections to your phone, so you don't need internet except for traffic updates etc.

The bit that satnav really rules at is when you make a mistake; with paper maps it's a scramble to figure out what you did/where you are now, and how to get back on your original route. Satnav will do all that without you having to pull over.

I've been stung by an incorrect destination once - never again. Just have to check when you put it in instead of blindly accepting. Same story for when it directs you through a ford etc (yes, that can happen on this side of the pond)
Appreciate 1
Piper1569.50
      04-23-2023, 05:40 AM   #42
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Route paper map studied before and a dash mounted lighted compass will ensure you are heading in the right direction.
Appreciate 2
      04-23-2023, 07:05 AM   #43
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Quote:
Haha, why are you getting testy? Ofc they were, as in OF COURSE maps are still sold, just that not many ppl use them, and this leads to my 2nd rhetorical, why use them, when there are BETTER ways to do things now?

I don't care what you do, so there's nothing to like or dislike smh. Jezuz, talk about a touchy granny lmao.
I've noticed many times in your threads as soon as anyone disagrees with your opinion you immediately go on the attack and try to ridicule them. It's a childish method of dealing with an opposing view and revels more about you than it does rebut the others persons argument.
What's the point of asking a question that you already have the answer for?

For me, GPS is not better, I've used it a few times but I don't want to become reliant on something that could dissapear at any time. it's just one of a number of other useless items that are found in cars these days, which is what your thread is all about isn't it?
cmyx6go15676.00
Piper1569.50
M5Rick59523.00
      04-23-2023, 07:41 AM   #44
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Now retrogrouches are just making up stuff lol.
So, you'd be quite wrong. And you are ignorant to the level how much of the World's finance, payment and transportation industries rely on GPS timing to operate their networks. If you care to educate yourself Goggle something called "eLORAN".
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 04-23-2023 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 1
M5Rick59523.00