BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Integra coming back

05-04-2023, 05:17 PM   #287
Ricochet48
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 RSX-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
$48k v $52k not really much difference for a new car. If you were in at 48k, you are in at 52k. So out over 4k? Never wanted the car or could never afford it anyway IMO. (Not directing this at anyone. Speaking in general)

$48k or 52k for this thing is LOL IMO
Nah I was in at $48K and out at $52K. That's a material difference.

I'd rather get a CPO M240i xDrive. Will be better in Chicago anyways.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2023, 05:21 PM   #288
Ricochet48
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
This isn't surprising, or at least it shouldn't be. I knew the ITS would be >$50K (See Post #255). A lot of folks anchored to ~$48K. Why would they price that car within a few thousand dollars of the CTR? You know Acura is owned by Honda, right? With pricing now confirmed this car is no longer a "better version" than the CTR.
You called it.

I assumed $4K as the difference was mostly in the sound system and badging. The seats are more luxury, but not as sporty (likely a wash price-wise) and the lack of spoiler should have saved $. So $4K seemed reasonable... $7K is laughable.

I have come to my senses. My friends laughed I was considering a FWD Civic for $48K anyways. My not 18 anymore when I bought my glorified Civic for $22,600 half a lifetime ago haha. Back to adult BMW land as noted. Thundernight FTW.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2023, 08:32 PM   #289
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet48 View Post
You called it.

I assumed $4K as the difference was mostly in the sound system and badging. The seats are more luxury, but not as sporty (likely a wash price-wise) and the lack of spoiler should have saved $. So $4K seemed reasonable... $7K is laughable.

I have come to my senses. My friends laughed I was considering a FWD Civic for $48K anyways. My not 18 anymore when I bought my glorified Civic for $22,600 half a lifetime ago haha. Back to adult BMW land as noted. Thundernight FTW.
Ha, I remember I paid $23,500 for my RSX Type S almost 18 years ago. Now that I think about it, that was bargain for what you got! Gone are the days I suppose.

To Donatello. 's point, is $4K that big of a deal on a new car? If you really want the car, does $4K completely turn you off? It's hard for me to say since I'm not in that position but I feel like I would still buy it if I were all in from the beginning.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2023, 10:43 PM   #290
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

4k is not large amount in a 50k price range, but I think at 48k for a car like this, you’ve already done a lot of bargaining with yourself to accept the price tag. An extra 4k is probably hard to stomach when you subconsciously know you’re getting ripped off paying 48k to begin with.

Pass. You can find a good condition DC5 for 15k. Would rather have that.
Appreciate 3
Donatello.1015.50
ASAP10049.50
      05-04-2023, 10:49 PM   #291
Mingwan
Major
Rep

Probably 90% of people that put a deposit on the ITS.

Appreciate 1
      05-04-2023, 11:34 PM   #292
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
$48k v $52k not really much difference for a new car. If you were in at 48k, you are in at 52k. So out over 4k? Never wanted the car or could never afford it anyway IMO. (Not directing this at anyone. Speaking in general)

$48k or 52k for this thing is LOL IMO
This is spot on. I find that everyone is interested until it's time to pay. The $4k delta is the difference of $64 per month on a 72 month loan at 5.04%. Easy to say when it's not my money but this seems like a nominal sum to give up on a car that people fell in love with.

The reality is the ITS is a consolation prize for people who could not find a Civic Type R at MSRP or with a reasonable ADM. The demand only recently surged into the stratosphere when the reality set in that securing a Civic Type R is a wet dream and thought the ITS would only be a few thousand more and widely available at MSRP.
Appreciate 1
Donatello.1015.50
      05-05-2023, 09:22 AM   #293
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

For $52k ......one can find a nice low mileage DC2 ITR
Which is 10x whatever this monstrosity is
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 09:29 AM   #294
Ricochet48
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
4k is not large amount in a 50k price range, but I think at 48k for a car like this, you’ve already done a lot of bargaining with yourself to accept the price tag. An extra 4k is probably hard to stomach when you subconsciously know you’re getting ripped off paying 48k to begin with.

Pass. You can find a good condition DC5 for 15k. Would rather have that.
This. I already did a lot of mental gymnastics to force myself into thinking $48K made sense at $52K I'm in fully B58 zone, even with pricy options.

I also have a top tier 06 VBP DC5 with 50K miles (single owner). It's been great, but I've had it half my life, so in a few years a CPO G42 is my move.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 09:34 AM   #295
Ricochet48
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The $4k delta is the difference of $64 per month on a 72 month loan at 5.04%.
72 months is way to long of a long imo. I would follow the 20/4/10 rule.

More generally I think you should make close to 3x (gross) the value of whatever car you buy (assuming $0 debt). So for $50K I'd want to make nearly $150K. My job is in finance so I'm naturally a bit more conservative on car purchases than many enthusiasts on here though. I couldn't imagine not maxing my 401K so I could have a faster car, etc.

I also might just buy in cash, these interest rates are (still) terrible. We will see what the market is like in 1-2 years.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 09:54 AM   #296
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

More generally I think you should make close to 3x (gross) the value of whatever car you buy (assuming $0 debt). So for $50K I'd want to make nearly $150K. My job is in finance so I'm naturally a bit more conservative on car purchases than many enthusiasts on here though. I couldn't imagine not maxing my 401K so I could have a faster car, etc.

I also might just buy in cash, these interest rates are (still) terrible. We will see what the market is like in 1-2 years.
Yeah, I get the financial piece of it, as I work in the financial services space. But it's difficult to apply too much logic to this or you would be a bystander and not a participant. It's like religion or politics in the sense that there are parts of it that align with your beliefs and there are parts that do not. Many of us jump in and out of these cars with automated efficiency. I've had 10 cars in 8 years and that's likely a relatively low number compared to others on this forum. There's nothing financially responsible about this passion/hobby. In the grand scheme, I'm fiscally responsible and invest and save heavy but if I want a car, can afford it, I buy it, end of discussion. I don't care too much about if I should buy it or what makes the most financial sense.

I understand though. I'm not here to tell anyone how to spend their money, just thought I'd introduce a perspective.
      05-05-2023, 11:55 AM   #297
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Quote:

Too broad of a brush. Lots of different situations out there.
Appreciate 1
Clark_Kent2208.00
      05-06-2023, 07:54 AM   #298
Mingwan
Major
Rep

Quote:
This. I already did a lot of mental gymnastics to force myself into thinking $48K made sense at $52K I'm in fully B58 zone, even with pricy options.

I also have a top tier 06 VBP DC5 with 50K miles (single owner). It's been great, but I've had it half my life, so in a few years a CPO G42 is my move.
Nice. I had an 06 DC5 as well. One of the few cars I got rid of that I wish I kept.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 12:51 PM   #299
AlpineBoost
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 Civic Type R

Garage List
https://youtu.be/ZdA6uhkzDEE
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 01:00 PM   #300
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-type-s-drive/
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2023, 03:35 PM   #301
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Great job Acura! The most compelling product you've released outside of the NSX. Everything is expensive these days so I won't touch that, but as a product, this is exactly what the Type S should be (vs the CTR). I'm still amazed that Honda decided to make a somewhat bespoke model for only the NA market. Hopefully it sells well and dealers don't price this out of the range of an average (for this market) consumer.
      06-20-2023, 06:44 PM   #302
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineBoost View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWYER View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Great job Acura! The most compelling product you've released outside of the NSX. Everything is expensive these days so I won't touch that, but as a product, this is exactly what the Type S should be (vs the CTR). I'm still amazed that Honda decided to make a somewhat bespoke model for only the NA market. Hopefully it sells well and dealers don't price this out of the range of an average (for this market) consumer.
Thanks for posting this. After the media embargo was lifted, all of the reviews flooded the Internet. I haven't read or watched them all but I intend to.

I was able to spend about 90 minutes this morning with the ITS. In the interest of transparency, my perspective of this car is in the context of being an FL5 CTR owner. It was about what I expected it to be. Some wins, some misses, and a few surprises. It's a solid offering, good for the Honda/Acura brand, and great for enthusiasts. The challenge for me is still the price point. With an entry price of $52K, it's still a tough sell. The good thing is this car can easily be had for MSRP, and quite frankly, below if you're a savvy buyer and willing to wait. Early indications are that anyone who wants an ITS will be able to get one at a reasonable price.
      06-20-2023, 08:03 PM   #303
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

52k for a fwd turbo 4 banger Honda... what has this world come to lol?

an m340i is 56k... these are cars not in the same stratosphere lol... what am i missing here?
      06-20-2023, 08:42 PM   #304
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post

an m340i is 56k... these are cars not in the same stratosphere lol... what am i missing here?
The ITS will be a slower car than the 340, but you will struggle to find a 340 for $56k as most are optioned into the upper 60s and lower 70s now. I do agree that the ITS is pricey at $52k but there isn't much in the way of options. Plus it can be had with a 6MT and from all the glowing reviews, is one of the better and more enjoyable sports sedans out there now. I thought I was done with FWD and was dead set on replacing my M235 with a used OG M2. Now I'm not quite so sure. I have a feeling that ITS may go quite well with my 2011 Cayman.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 09:01 PM   #305
AlpineBoost
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 Civic Type R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post

It's a tough sell to me and I owned a '95 Integra and '02 RSX-S. I posted this earlier elsewhere but when comparing MSRP's here's what I came up with for similar $. Obviously the configurations of some of these cars don't work for everyone or you'd have a hard time getting them without options/markup:

$42,900 - GR Corolla CE - 300 hp, MT only
$43,795 - Civic Type R - 315 hp, MT only
$48,900 - M240i RWD - 382 hp, AT only
$50,800 - Integra Type S - 320 hp, MT only
$50,900 - M240i AWD - 382 hp, AT only
$50,990 - Z Performance - 400 hp, MT or AT
$53,600 - Supra 3.0 - 382 hp, MT or AT
$56,400 - M340i RWD - 382 hp, AT only

Performance for $ the ITS just slots into a really weird spot. I never thought I'd own a Hyundai after 6 Japanese, a Ford, and 2 Euro cars but picked up one of the last brand new 6MT Veloster N's last September for $32,500. On paper I have a hard time believing the ITS provides $20k more car but I'll have to go drive one. The interior is a massive upgrade and it's a Honda but it's hard to wrap my head around a $51k Integra.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2023, 11:24 AM   #306
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I posted this on another forum so thought I'd drop it in here for those interested:

I didn't want to muddy up @savagegeese 's thread with thoughts from my personal, although limited, interaction with the DE5 Integra Type S so thought it best to start a new one. This could also be a space for others to share their thoughts after personal experiences with the car via test drives, walkarounds, or ride alongs.

I was able to spend about 90 minutes yesterday morning with the ITS at a local dealership. I've been in contact with the General Sales Manager over the last several months and true to his word, he sent me an e-mail last week when the car arrived. I was able to drive it, perform the interior/exterior walkaround, and chatted with the General Sales Manager for a bit. The car was Platinum Pearl White with the Red/Dark Metal Trim interior. The car also had about $6,500 in dealership add-ons some of which included the following Genuine Acura Accessories:
19" Copper-Finish Alloy Wheels
Valve Stem Caps
Gloss Black Emblems
Carbon Fiber Tailgate Spoiler
Carbon Fiber Door Mirror Cover
Black Wheel Locks
Titanium Shift Knob; and
Alcantara Steering Wheel
I obviously didn't have the opportunity to live with the car for days or get to take it to the track but I have a few observations I'd like to share.

What I Liked
-Interior orientation and ergonomics are similar to the 11th gen Civic
-Factory wheels look good and are especially nice in the copper finish
-Power delivery felt smoother and more refined than the FL5 CTR. It's clear there is slightly more power in the ITS and it's noticeable on the street
-NVH is better when compared to the FL5 CTR
-Exhaust is still relatively quiet but an upgrade over the CTR exhaust system
-ELS STUDIO 3D Premium Audio system sounds good! It's more bass forward but it offers a more immersive audio experience. I'm certain with ample configuration, it will serve the likes of most.
-Suspension tuning is more livable for daily driving across all Drive Modes
-Transmission - no further explanation needed.

What I Didn't Like
-Seats. This was a big miss. I expected a more supportive and aesthetically pleasing seat for this type of car.
-Throttle overrun in Sport+ Drive Mode is something I could do without. It's interesting the "Civic Type R for Adults" has an exhaust that crackles and pops.
-Gloss black trim on the interior console.
-Styling. The exterior styling is decent and works for 2023 but I don't expect it to age well.
-Very light clutch pedal. I like a little resistance for clutch feel
-Rev hang. It's still there and very annoying
-No LogR or equivalent
-It doesn't feel "special". It's difficult to articulate that feeling but you know it when you see it/feel it.
-Sticker price. $52K is still a very difficult number to get comfortable with relative to what you're getting.

Bottom Line
The ITS was about what I expected it to be. Some wins, some misses, and a few surprises. It's a solid offering, good for the Honda/Acura brand and great for enthusiasts. While enjoyable enough, I didn't walk away thinking, "I would buy that car!" or "I prefer this over my FL5 CTR." The challenge for me is still the price point of $52K which will undoubtedly rise throughout the production cycle. The other side of that is it appears this car can be had for MSRP, and quite frankly, below if you're a savvy buyer and/or willing to wait. Early indications are that anyone who wants an ITS should be able to get one at a fair price.

I'll end with the following: the reviews from Car and Driver, Motor Trend, and the YouTubers are fantastic, but there's no better opinion than your own. Go out and drive the car yourself. Take advantage of dealers allowing people to demo this thing and drive the wheels off it. Unfortunately, that's not something you can do with the CTR at this juncture. Anyhow, I look forward to hearing from others who have had the opportunity to drive the ITS.
MmmmmM22578.00
      06-21-2023, 12:20 PM   #307
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

The CTR looks so much better with integrated rear hips and cleaner design. The plastic tacked on rear arches look kind of messy as they are separated into four pieces making it look a little aftermarket. Also I've never warmed up to any of the Acura beak front end designs. It seems like to consolation prize for someone that couldn't get a CTR and it's priced way too close to a Supra that can now be had with a manual transmission.
Appreciate 2
Clark_Kent2208.00
      06-21-2023, 01:10 PM   #308
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Ha, I remember I paid $23,500 for my RSX Type S almost 18 years ago. Now that I think about it, that was bargain for what you got! Gone are the days I suppose.
I paid $29K for my 2007 350Z. 6 Speed manual, 306 hp, RWD V6. In today's dollars, according to the https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/ is $42,536.89. I would say that's a bargain in today's money as well. Is the ITS worth about $10K more? That's the question.
Clark_Kent2208.00