BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Coolant smell from AC vents

04-13-2023, 08:24 AM   #1
imaginesomething
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116I

Coolant smell from AC vents

Hello everybody, I hope you can help me. First of all, sorry for my bad english, it's not my first language!

I've just bought a 2012 F20 116i with 110k kilometers. The car runs just fine, everything works perfectly, but when I turn on the heater there's a strong smell of coolant coming from the AC vents. It lasts 5-10 seconds, than it kinda goes away.

I know that it could be a symptom of a bad heater radiator (or heater core), but actually I've neverd heard of a Fxx with a similar problem.

The coolant level in the tank remains constant (I've made a check everyday to monitor the situation), I checked the engine bay multiple times and
couldn't find any coolant leak. The coolant pipes going from the engine bay to the cabin are dry and there's no sign of coolant.

I tried to replace the pollen filter too and used an A/C system cleaner with no results (the coolant level is now mixed with the smell of the cleaning product).

I don't know how to solve the problem. I know that I need to remove the entire dashboard to replace the heater core and that's a pain in the back.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0