BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > GR Corolla first ride

01-12-2023, 07:17 PM   #67
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Goodness I don't think Toyota could have designed a cheaper looking interior if they tried. I know that's not the priority but these cars but I can't remember an interior this cheap ever for any car in this price range.
& I got many folks here telling me I just don't get it. No, I don't get $40-50k for a Corolla interior. A fool and his $ are soon parted.

I bet most of those folks didn't buy one, though. Yay keyboard commandos
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 07:18 PM   #68
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Zed View Post
Supply and demand, a lot of dealerships asking and receiving more than this. Welcome to the world of online auctions, all it takes is one or two people with funny money and a desire to own that specific car.

Approaching used M2 territory with GR Corolla markups but there is not a new BMW sub $65K that interests me.
More like people with more $ than brains...

That's likely because the new M cars are nonsense priced. M3 or M4 can get close to or north of $100k real quick. That is LOL hard pass for me
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 04:24 PM   #69
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
lol @ what this auction is already at. smh
https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9a2...IUlmqqqlPUafzg
Ended over $48k lol sucker
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 06:04 PM   #70
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
More like people with more $ than brains...

That's likely because the new M cars are nonsense priced. M3 or M4 can get close to or north of $100k real quick. That is LOL hard pass for me
Yeah, it's funny how people remember price-points from 20 years ago or more, like 40K for a 335, 60K for an M3 or whatever. Just as you point out, an M4 Comp is more like 100K now.
      01-14-2023, 09:46 AM   #71
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Goodness I don't think Toyota could have designed a cheaper looking interior if they tried. I know that's not the priority but these cars but I can't remember an interior this cheap ever for any car in this price range.
Can I introduce you to the Tesla model 3?
Appreciate 2
86Zed924.50
Cos270608.50
      01-14-2023, 01:48 PM   #72
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Yeah, it's funny how people remember price-points from 20 years ago or more, like 40K for a 335, 60K for an M3 or whatever. Just as you point out, an M4 Comp is more like 100K now.
ALL new car pricing is out of control & gets worse with every new model year...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 08:14 AM   #73
DB_Cooper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87

GR making over 300hp on Dyno

https://www.carscoops.com/2023/01/dy...yota-says/amp/
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 08:21 AM   #74
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

So how many of the folks pumping this car up in this thread have bought one?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 10:46 AM   #75
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Car costs the same as a Golf R.
Should sell exactly 0 units if folks are thinking…
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 11:30 AM   #76
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Sadly, folks do not think lol
Appreciate 1
________4157.00
      01-15-2023, 12:20 PM   #77
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
I have a Golf R arriving this month, but I’d take a GRolla over it if I could get one for sticker.

GR Corolla has optional mechanical front and rear lsd, the Golf R does not utilize mechanical LSD’s. The GR has fixed calipers front and rear, the Golf R has sliding calipers front and rear. The GR can send up to 70% of power to the rear, the Golf R is limited to 50%.

Stock for stock, the Corolla will be faster at most tracks. The biggest advantage to the Golf over the Corolla is tuning. I’ll just run a stage one tune, but that’s good for 460/460 at the wheels, numbers the GR can’t touch, even on E85. I’ll need a better intercooler and clutch, but from experience with tuned GTIs, it should be dead reliable.

But discounting the GRolla is silly, at $37k, it’s a much better deal than a GTI and the Circuit is a pretty great deal. The Morizo is questionable, but should probably hold its value.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2023, 12:39 PM   #78
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Why? Many of the comparisons I've seen have shown the GR Corolla being quite a bit more fun than the Golf R (subjective metric obviously, but still a reason why someone would buy one over the R). Not to mention, there's the people who would never consider the Golf R because it's not JDM.
________4157.00
      01-15-2023, 12:47 PM   #79
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Remember STI-RA and RAR?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 02:11 PM   #80
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Why? Many of the comparisons I've seen have shown the GR Corolla being quite a bit more fun than the Golf R (subjective metric obviously, but still a reason why someone would buy one over the R). Not to mention, there's the people who would never consider the Golf R because it's not JDM.
Good question. In my opinion, the Golf is a better appointed (less cheap) car, and better looking.

Not as subjective, the Golf is much more equipped (if the Corolla had the same equipment it’d be much more expensive), and runs a 4 cylinder 2 litre as opposed to a fragile and untrustworthy 3 cylinder pushing similar numbers. Longevity is unquestionably dubious with the Corolla.

I get that folks my have issues with VW or another thing (looks for example) and decide on the Corolla. Also perhaps because it’ll be rarer. But those are emotional reasons (which drive many sales). Objectively you can’t make much of an argument for a Corolla… the price is the sticking point. It should be 5-10k cheaper and then we’d be talking. But no, it’s the same (or in the case of US dealers, higher with markups).
Appreciate 1
Donatello.1015.50
      01-15-2023, 02:14 PM   #81
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I have a Golf R arriving this month, but I’d take a GRolla over it if I could get one for sticker.

GR Corolla has optional mechanical front and rear lsd, the Golf R does not utilize mechanical LSD’s. The GR has fixed calipers front and rear, the Golf R has sliding calipers front and rear. The GR can send up to 70% of power to the rear, the Golf R is limited to 50%.

Stock for stock, the Corolla will be faster at most tracks. The biggest advantage to the Golf over the Corolla is tuning. I’ll just run a stage one tune, but that’s good for 460/460 at the wheels, numbers the GR can’t touch, even on E85. I’ll need a better intercooler and clutch, but from experience with tuned GTIs, it should be dead reliable.

But discounting the GRolla is silly, at $37k, it’s a much better deal than a GTI and the Circuit is a pretty great deal. The Morizo is questionable, but should probably hold its value.
Sorry, are you saying your Golf will gain 145 HP with a stage 1 tune on a highly tuned 4 cylinder 2l? You kinda lost me there…

I’m not familiar with US prices but in Canada they’re the same price and I discussed equipment and build quality above.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 02:48 PM   #82
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Good question. In my opinion, the Golf is a better appointed (less cheap) car, and better looking.

Not as subjective, the Golf is much more equipped (if the Corolla had the same equipment it’d be much more expensive), and runs a 4 cylinder 2 litre as opposed to a fragile and untrustworthy 3 cylinder pushing similar numbers. Longevity is unquestionably dubious with the Corolla.

I get that folks my have issues with VW or another thing (looks for example) and decide on the Corolla. Also perhaps because it’ll be rarer. But those are emotional reasons (which drive many sales). Objectively you can’t make much of an argument for a Corolla… the price is the sticking point. It should be 5-10k cheaper and then we’d be talking. But no, it’s the same (or in the case of US dealers, higher with markups).
All good points, but it's the subjective/opinion based reasoning why people buy all sorts of cars over an objectively better car. We would all be driving only a handful of cars if purchasing decisions were based on objectivity.
________4157.00
      01-15-2023, 02:52 PM   #83
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
All good points, but it's the subjective/opinion based reasoning why people buy all sorts of cars over an objectively better car. We would all be driving only a handful of cars if purchasing decisions were based on objectivity.
Absolutely. And that’s totally fair and fine. Great for us too to see varied vehicles on the road.

My point was about rationality, and how there’d be 0 sales of the Corolla (which you alluded to, which perhaps would affect the golf too! Lol)

Cheers
Appreciate 1
Burrcold5047.50
      01-15-2023, 04:15 PM   #84
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Sorry, are you saying your Golf will gain 145 HP with a stage 1 tune on a highly tuned 4 cylinder 2l? You kinda lost me there…

I’m not familiar with US prices but in Canada they’re the same price and I discussed equipment and build quality above.
Yep, there’s a ton of headroom on the EA888, the EVO4 with the new Continental turbo. Stock is dynoing around 310hp at the wheels, so tunes are producing 150 additional hp on pump gas and closer to 200hp on E85. Plenty of Mk7’s running around with larger turbos making much, much more than that.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 07:31 AM   #85
DB_Cooper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Pumping the car up? Sharing info about a car isn't pumping it up.

I have a deposit for one. Circuit spec. Made it a point to be very low on the list to get a later MY car.
I'm not paying any ADM and should be getting some $ off by the time my number comes up if prices keep sliding. I'm happy to push my order back to avoid the hype.
Appreciate 1
86Zed924.50
      01-16-2023, 07:45 AM   #86
DB_Cooper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I considered a Golf R in 2019. Needed a hatch and something that would be an all year car anyone in the family could use.

I walked away from the last MY Golf R feeling like the interior was really cheap, overuse of hard plastics and the dealer experience was awful at every dealership I visited. I drove two of them, both were brand new and had squeaky clutches & interior rattles. Went with a 2019 Mazda 3 hatch; best bang for your buck and a much more handsome car vs the Golf R, even better than the GR & CTR. Different leagues in terms of performance but utility for us was the same. In fact if Mazda were making a performance hatch option I'd wait on the GR purchase, that's how impressed I am w/ Mazda quality and overall purchase & ownership experience.

Back to the new Golf R, which I think is way overpriced, FUGLY, overly complicated & something I'm def not considering if a CTR or GR C are options. For what it's worth these are proper Japanese sports cars, built in Japan and that matters to some people.
Appreciate 3
________4157.00
Cos270608.50
      01-16-2023, 01:28 PM   #87
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB_Cooper View Post
Pumping the car up? Sharing info about a car isn't pumping it up.

I have a deposit for one. Circuit spec. Made it a point to be very low on the list to get a later MY car.
I'm not paying any ADM and should be getting some $ off by the time my number comes up if prices keep sliding. I'm happy to push my order back to avoid the hype.
LOL several people here gave me a lot of crap because I would not drop $40K+ on a Corolla. I am referring to them. How many of these folks bought one? I bet maybe 1 tops...
Appreciate 1
________4157.00
      01-16-2023, 01:29 PM   #88
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB_Cooper View Post
I considered a Golf R in 2019. Needed a hatch and something that would be an all year car anyone in the family could use.

I walked away from the last MY Golf R feeling like the interior was really cheap, overuse of hard plastics and the dealer experience was awful at every dealership I visited. I drove two of them, both were brand new and had squeaky clutches & interior rattles. Went with a 2019 Mazda 3 hatch; best bang for your buck and a much more handsome car vs the Golf R, even better than the GR & CTR. Different leagues in terms of performance but utility for us was the same. In fact if Mazda were making a performance hatch option I'd wait on the GR purchase, that's how impressed I am w/ Mazda quality and overall purchase & ownership experience.

Back to the new Golf R, which I think is way overpriced, FUGLY, overly complicated & something I'm def not considering if a CTR or GR C are options. For what it's worth these are proper Japanese sports cars, built in Japan and that matters to some people.
Sadly, no more performance from Mazda. I have had 2 Mazdaspeed6 (First was new) and loved them. I'd own another if the market wasn't stupid/so many of them are not junk
Appreciate 1
DB_Cooper585.50