BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > BMW 116I high mileage remap advice!

04-05-2021, 03:32 PM   #1
F20116iRed
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i f20

BMW 116I high mileage remap advice!

Hi guys,

Had my 116i sport for about a month now. When I first got the car it was on 78,000 miles and hadn't had a service since 2018. I did a full service when I got it, oil, oil filter, spark plugs and upgraded the air filter to a k&n one.

Car runs and drives perfect no weird sounds or knocks. I love the car and very nippy for what it is but I'm very curious about the remap now. I feel as if in these 116i at stock form theyre pretty quick but only at higher rev ranges, on the remap they're powerful lower down in the rev ranges so they're a bit better on fuel too. If anyone has any experience on the N13 at higher mileage and what I should or shouldn't do please let me know. I'm going to get a custom map not a downloaded dodgy flash from the guy at the local garage . Just not sure whether to get a soft tune (118i spec) or go the full claimed 220bhp.

Thank you much love!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 01:09 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I had the opposite experience with the 116i. It was strong up to around 4500 RPM, but was missing the performance at higher RPM. I think tuning the engine with a remap will bring more power in the upper range than the lower.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 06:39 AM   #3
SK223
Rep
Drives: F20

I think the only thing you should be worried about the N13 engine is the valve seals as they are prone to leak, and also check your PCV valve as they tend to leak as well. Timing chain as well could be a concern but apart from that I'm not too sure so I'm interested as well as I'm a just got a 116i as well and I'm thinking of doing a MHD tune, but I want to make sure that any issues are fixed before I add more stress to the engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 04:30 PM   #4
papertiger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F11, F36

My 116i manual is now driven a bit over 138k km, and I flashed BM3 stage 1 95 octane just recently. Works like a charm, the engine actually runs smoother now than stock. No lagging/hiccups when cold and accelerating, just smooth power delivery. Where it before was lacking power over 4000rpm (really there was no power over that rpm), the curve is now smooth, with increasing power all the way up towards the limiter. Completely changed characteristic. My driving style haven’t changed, so I plan to keep all other bits and pieces original and untouched as I’m not driving “the shit out of it” every time.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 05:30 AM   #5
jabugui
Private
Spain
Rep
Drives: f21 lci 120iA

Having tested both, I prefer the "off the shelf" map instead of a custom, particularly if the OTS is from a reputable source well proven, that will give you less performance figure than a custom.

The "custom" one should take more power out but just at the time of the remap. Then the condition and the engine change with time and the map does not. This may lead to future problems, unless you check the engine and map regularly, like a race car going to the workshop after every race.

The tuners sell "custom is better" but only for them, to brag on social media on power increase at your risk, therefore they lie for a reason.

A reputable OTS should be the safe way to go for a street car Imho.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 03:10 AM   #6
stupar
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabugui View Post
Having tested both, I prefer the "off the shelf" map instead of a custom, particularly if the OTS is from a reputable source well proven, that will give you less performance figure than a custom.
I couldn't agree more on that. That was the reason I went with MHD Tuning OTS maps. I've been running mhd stage1 (200HP/280NM) on stock car for 2 years without any problems. It was fantastic, changed the whole experenice and I thought it could not get better than that. After installing some bolt-ons recently I am running stage2 (235HP/350NM), and literally it is a different car.

My car is f20 116i from 2012 year and now it has 93k kilometeres on the clock. It has been tuned since 43k kilometeres.

Take advice from jabugui and go with OTS maps - they are easy to be done by yourself, with MHD you can flash the map via WIFI obd in a minute and since it is Off The Shelf, its made to be safe for every car and you won't need to worry about mileage, you should only worry about regular maintenance. I personally always do 10k kilometeres interval, which is ideal for this engine.

You can go either with MHD or BM3, but I would recommend MHD all day long.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 08:29 PM   #7
awake08
Rep
Drives: F21

interesting, I'm thinking of doing a MHD stage 1 on my 2013 F21 116i with 230k KM
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 02:55 AM   #8
stupar
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by awake08 View Post
interesting, I'm thinking of doing a MHD stage 1 on my 2013 F21 116i with 230k KM
go for it
Appreciate 0