BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Choppy steering when turning

09-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #23
Footloose
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 116 efd sport

Sticky, notchy steering BMW 116d

Hi all,

A belated contribution. On 6th February 2013, I took delivery of a new 3 door sport from the main dealers here in central Portugal. A couple of hours driving and I knew I had a steering problem. When exiting gentle curves and centering the steering wheel, I too encountered the situation where the power steering appeared to go to sleep and felt a resistance which required unusual force to overcome. The result in applying this force, and waking up the power assistance, was a sudden over-steering which put the car off the intended line. This would happen between 20 and 50 times per 100 km.

It was not possible to steer the car smoothly and with finesse and accuracy. A cross wind on a straight road when minor directional adjustments are constantly required exaggerated the problem and at times was alarming. I has scared my wife whilst overtaking trucks on a motorway for example. The car was fine in town, but at highway speeds, potentially dangerous.

I have driven 3 different courtesy cars, none of which had this problem, so after 3 weeks or so, the dealer took it back, kept it for two days, drove it about 400 km and agreed that 'there was some inconsistency in the steering'. So they downloaded an update into the cars computer and declared it fit. Another 100 km and I knew that there was an improvement in that the stickiness was less harsh but nevertheless still evident and just as frequent - sufficient to spoil my enjoyment of a new car.

I complained again and they took it back for another two days and about another 400 km, after which they told me that they had reduced the tyre pressures which they said were well over-inflated (as delivered) and checked the tracking. At this stage they were backing away from acknowledging the problem, saying that the computer analysis showed no fault. At one point, after having contacted Germany for advice, my after-sales manager confided that they didn't know what to do.

I have since instituted formal complaint proceedings with the dealership and their response is that 'no faults are shown on the computer'.

I am considering further complaints to BMW Germany, Portugal, the dealership and DECO, Portugal's consumer protection agency, but don't hold out much hope for a fix because they don't want to bear the hassle and expense.

Any advise please (apart from buying a Golf) would be gratefully received and an update from earlier sufferers would be of use.

Thanks, footloose
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #24
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Which steering do you have?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 04:59 AM   #25
Footloose
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Which steering do you have?
I don't know, how do I find out? It is electronic.

Footloose
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #26
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footloose View Post
I don't know, how do I find out? It is electronic.

Footloose
There are three types you can order. One with variable ratio, one with variable assist, and one regular rack.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #27
Footloose
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
There are three types you can order. One with variable ratio, one with variable assist, and one regular rack.
Many thanks for that, I'll check with Bomcar and let you know.

Footloose
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #28
Footloose
Registered
Rep

Hi all,

I took delivery of my new car in February 2013. 8 months and 20,000 km later... I have just got my car back from BMW who have replaced the steering box (I still don't know which system I had) and it has cured the problem completely. The steering is now smooth and predictable - a pleasure to drive. It's like a whole different car and what I expected at point of original delivery. Also, it now has a marked difference in steering effort required between Eco, Comfort and Sport. This feels good and right.

The only pity is that it has required so much complaining, pushing, hassle, badgering, hectoring and table thumping to get this belated result. My advice to anyone else who has this problem and your car is still under guarantee - keep pushing. Swapping out the steering box (not the rack or steering column) has definitely fixed it.

Footloose
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 08:02 AM   #29
eirikss
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 118D F20

Hello!

Old thread, but im taking a shot.

Footloose: I experience the same problems as you, and my dealer wants to replace the whole steering rack. Would be very grateful for some information about this steering box you are referring to...

Is it an electronical component and where it is located?

Eirik
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 09:21 AM   #30
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirikss View Post
Hello!

Old thread, but im taking a shot.

Footloose: I experience the same problems as you, and my dealer wants to replace the whole steering rack. Would be very grateful for some information about this steering box you are referring to...

Is it an electronical component and where it is located?

Eirik
I am sorry to tell you, but it looks like the "box" is still the rack (and it has the control unit integrated): https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=32_2071.
Appreciate 0