BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Coolant Colour

06-30-2022, 09:23 AM   #1
Kanye
Rep
Drives: 2017 118i

Coolant Colour

I have a 2017 b38 118i

I noticed that the coolant level was a bit under the minimum, so I went ahead and bought some coolant from bmw (HT-12) and topped it off. However, I noticed that the colours (both green) don't exactly match. Could this just be due to the old coolant aging and breaking down? or could this mean I have a different brand of coolant in my car?
Keep in my mind it's very hot where I live.

Old on the left, New on the right:

I remember when i bought the car in feb 2021 I could see the coolant's colour in the expansion tank from the outside (don't remember if it was green or blue though), but based on that I would guess that the tank was replaced around that time and a coolant flush was done.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 11:25 PM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Well, provided the fluid sold is a concentrate to be diluted, it's hard too tell.

Here are a couple of threads on the subject:

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 11:43 PM   #3
Kanye
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Well, provided the fluid sold is a concentrate to be diluted, it's hard too tell.

Quote:

The new fluid in the picture is 50% water. I don't know if you've ever seen the ht-12 coolant but it's dark green in colour.

I've seen both these threads already (and many more) and they don't help. The only (kind of) helpful thread was on the X3 forums where someone pulled some coolant out of the reservoir, his car however was almost brand new so I can't really compare.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 11:46 PM   #4
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanye View Post
The new fluid in the picture is 50% water. I don't know if you've ever seen the ht-12 coolant but it's dark green in colour.

I've seen both these threads already (and many more) and they don't help. The only (kind of) helpful thread was on the X3 forums where someone pulled some coolant out of the reservoir, his car however was almost brand new so I can't really compare.
So replace it then.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 11:52 PM   #5
Kanye
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanye View Post

So replace it then.
Always the safest option.
Appreciate 0