BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Tail Light LED burnt out on F20

04-15-2020, 09:39 AM   #1
g42xSeoul
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 118D SPORT

Tail Light LED burnt out on F20

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I feel like it may have been discussed before but I was unable to find it on the search.

I was changing out my reverse lights on my F20 2014 118D Sport.
After I was done changing out the reverse PW21W bulb to an OSRAM LED bulb, I noticed that one of my tail lights was much dimmer than the other. Upon closer look, few of the LED's that light up the housing went out.

I read that it was not possible to replace these led's and that replacing the whole light housing was the only way.

My question is, do you think it might have been the reverse LED bulb that I put in that might have shorted the other LED's? Or do you think it was always like this, and I just never noticed until I replaced the reverse lights.

I am thinking of buying a new tail light housing for the side that went out.
Below are some pictures and your help would be much appreciated.

1. driver side (left)
2. passenger side (right) - the side that went out
3. notice the passenger side (right) is dimmer
4. the reverse light bulb I am using
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 12:44 PM   #2
DomMuc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

this happens time by time.. hey the car is 6 years old... ledīs donīt have an unlimited lifetime... it could happen that the other side will defect in a few weeks / months too
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 09:49 PM   #3
g42xSeoul
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 118D SPORT

Yeh I figured as much. But i want to make sure the led reverse light didnt burn it out. I dont want to replace the part and then have it burn out again.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 01:30 PM   #4
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Lightbulb

OSRAM Vehicle Lamp Finder
Find the right lamps for your car, motorcycle or truck.

> https://www.osram.de/apps/gvlrg/en_COM
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 05:18 PM   #5
maverick83
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by f20enSeoul View Post
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I feel like it may have been discussed before but I was unable to find it on the search.

I was changing out my reverse lights on my F20 2014 118D Sport.
After I was done changing out the reverse PW21W bulb to an OSRAM LED bulb, I noticed that one of my tail lights was much dimmer than the other. Upon closer look, few of the LED's that light up the housing went out.

I read that it was not possible to replace these led's and that replacing the whole light housing was the only way.

My question is, do you think it might have been the reverse LED bulb that I put in that might have shorted the other LED's? Or do you think it was always like this, and I just never noticed until I replaced the reverse lights.

I am thinking of buying a new tail light housing for the side that went out.
Below are some pictures and your help would be much appreciated.

1. driver side (left)
2. passenger side (right) - the side that went out
3. notice the passenger side (right) is dimmer
4. the reverse light bulb I am using
No this happens after time and only fix is new light cluster. 2nd hand one on mine from donor car still working a charm. 2013 M135i here - donor car was 2015 model so should give it some extra life before it required again. Fingers crossed the other side is fine for a while!

Ps - strange that all the ones I've seen thats gone is the RHD…
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 07:52 AM   #6
pochetemix
Private
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i F20 and Cayenne V6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick83 View Post
No this happens after time and only fix is new light cluster. 2nd hand one on mine from donor car still working a charm. 2013 M135i here - donor car was 2015 model so should give it some extra life before it required again. Fingers crossed the other side is fine for a while!

Ps - strange that all the ones I've seen thats gone is the RHD…
It also occurs in LHD, and it's quite common. Here is mine, I noticed it yesterday:

Car is 7 years old by now. I'll probably be getting a new part (about 150€) and change it in the next weeks. Hoping it doesn't have different brightness with the other headlight...
Appreciate 0