BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > BMW 125D Cracking noises from rear doors

11-26-2023, 03:19 AM   #1
Nick_Man25
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 125d LCI

BMW 125D Cracking noises from rear doors

Hello everyone,
I apologize if I make mistakes in English writing, I am Italian
let me introduce myself, my name is Nick, I am 23 years old and I am a new buyer of a beautiful 2018 BMW F20 125d Shadow line.
The car is giving me so much satisfaction, I am very happy with my first BMW.
But I have a problem that I can't stand since I bought it: creaking noises coming (apparently) from the rear doors when I drive on bumpy roads.
I have tried to solve the problem by reading on this forum about users who have experienced the same problem with the BMW 3 & 4 series (I haven't found much useful information about the F20/F21).

I then tried applying a Polyethylene tape on the top where they close the rear doors but did not solve it, next I bought (again reading about users who solved it) Gummi Pflege lubricant and applied it on the door seals and the seals on the car frame where the doors close but unfortunately again I did not solve it.

Having reached this point and after 1 month of trying, I don't know what other solution I can take to solve this problem, so I am asking for help from you who surely have more experience with F20 problems, I don't know what to do anymore, I am desperate.

Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 09:09 AM   #2
ojt
Noob.
Italy
Rep
Drives: F20 114i (06/2014)

Sorry, can't really help that much but I can offer you my experience. I am also in Italy.

For me the problem comes and goes, at least if you mean a type of squeaky noise. I used to think I solved it when the car was new, back in 2014 - 2015, by keeping it very clean. I carefully cleaned the door frames making sure to use fairly mild / silicone safe detergents. I also applied gummiflege and still do sometimes. It might've helped? Not sure really but I do seem to remember it having helped.

Then life happened and I haven't really had time to keep the car that clean. Still, the issue comes and goes. Usually when it's very humid or is raining I get the squeaking but it goes away on its own.

The car is now 10 year old and I have to say the squeaking is relatively rare for me.

Is my problem different than yours? In Italian I'd maybe use the word "cigolio" for the noise. Or "scricchiolo". Exactly what you'd get by rubbing slightly wet pieces of gum / silicone against each other.

How does the silicone on the doors feel? Does it feel hard, old? Or is it still soft? I know many use lubricants on silicone that with time will erode the material, and that might make the problem worse. It seems you got your used so who knows how it's been cared for. Mine are still (will actually check in a short while, now that I think about it) feel quite soft, almost like new. All I ever did to them though was apply gummi flege.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 03:53 AM   #3
pochetemix
Private
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i F20 and Cayenne V6.

I had back in the day those rattles on my F20. I cleaned the door seals, inner door paintwork, I put the UHMW Tape Roll BMW recommends, and the creaking doors were still there.

Then I apply dry lubricant PTFE on the felt at the top of the door. Little better but still some creaks. Finally, in desperation, I applied WD-40 to the door latches and door locks. That was it! Riding superb with no rattles nor creaks whatsoever. The car is riding as good as new.
Appreciate 0