BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Advice for delivery of a new F20?

02-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
FirstBMW@24
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 118i

Advice for delivery of a new F20?

Hi guys

This is my first brand new car and I'm just wondering is there any advice that you can give me relating to accepting the delivery of the car and any major no-nos that I shouldn't do with the car until it's "broken in"?

I'd never heard that term before but a work colleague told me I have to be gentle with it for the first 1,000km to loosen the engine up. Is this true or was he pulling my leg?

Also, when I pick up the car (about 3 weeks away now) is there anything I should look at before accepting the car?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
JR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f45 218i SE active tourer auto

Iv'e always "run the car in" ,no heavy acceleration or pulling high gear and labouring the engine for the first 1200miles or so, some people say you don't need to ,but its in the BMW car manual you get with the car
Have a very good look around the car before you drive away for minor dents/scratches on the paint work, I once picked a new E92 up and didn't notice it had a scratch on the rear bumper until I got home, the dealer didn't want to know later as I hadn't pointed it out upon delivery !
Bob
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
Sonnig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F20 118i Sport

Even though people, even the BMW salesman, say it's not necessary to run in a new car, I do tend drive softly for the first 1000KM.

Speaking new car, do you get any special coating/ waxing treatment for your new car in order to protect the paint when it's new.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 03:53 AM   #4
JR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f45 218i SE active tourer auto

I use AUTO-GLYM EXTRA GLOSS PROTECTION looks like water in the bottle , but iv'e found it to be really good, where i have to park at work is very dusty/gritty and the extra gloss protection has really helped protect the paintwork,don't know if its available where you live [i'm in the UK]
Appreciate 0