BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Drivetrain Warning - Flywheel/Clutch?

05-28-2020, 02:05 PM   #1
nash1
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 Series F21

Drivetrain Warning - Flywheel/Clutch?

A couple of weeks ago i got a drivetrain warning come up on the car. It doesn't come and go it stays on the whole time and shows up as soon as you start the car. The coolant was low so i topped it up, before i did this i noticed on one cold start there was quite a bit of white smoke coming out of the exhaust and the car sounded like it was losing a bit of power when it got to the lower RPM's (Idle). After topping up the coolant there was no more white smoke and the car sounded fine at low RPM's but the drivetrain warning was still coming up.

I got a call from the garage today (Not a BMW Centre) and they said it's an issue with the flywheel/clutch and it all needs to be replaced. From what i understand the flywheel doesn't have a sensor so how would the car flag this up as a drivetrain fault? I've had no issues with the clutch, no burning smell or slipping, no issues when changing gears either. Also the car has only done 33k miles.

Any thoughts on this?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 03:48 PM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Sounds like you should get some better diagnostics with more specific error messages.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 07:34 PM   #3
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

It's not flywheel/clutch (well, highly unlikely ). A "drivetrain" warning has been discussed here already: https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/show...9#post23761179 (the search facility is at the top of the page now).
Appreciate 0