BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > Replacement of door lock actuator for F20

01-01-2020, 02:14 AM   #1
Tarosuzuki
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1 series F20

Question Replacement of door lock actuator for F20

Has someone tried to replace the door lock actuator for F20?

When I tried to replace the door lock actuator of the front driver side, I found a short white plastic stick dropped in the door.
The part is not seen in the diagram of F20 part in realoem.com.

After replacing the actuator, I found the stick is too short to bridge between the actuator and key cylinder.
How can I connect the key cylinder and the actuator?
In many BMWs, the key cylinder has the stick and directly connects to the actuator, but F20 uses gear wheels and the wheels rotate the stick to the actuator.

TaroS
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 07:41 AM   #2
Shohelp786
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2014 116i F20

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarosuzuki View Post
Has someone tried to replace the door lock actuator for F20?

When I tried to replace the door lock actuator of the front driver side, I found a short white plastic stick dropped in the door.
The part is not seen in the diagram of F20 part in realoem.com.

After replacing the actuator, I found the stick is too short to bridge between the actuator and key cylinder.
How can I connect the key cylinder and the actuator?
In many BMWs, the key cylinder has the stick and directly connects to the actuator, but F20 uses gear wheels and the wheels rotate the stick to the actuator.

TaroS

Hey there. So I actually did mine today and I will tell few things I noticed.

First of all when you insert the actuator align to where it's supposed to go and then reach out to the level on top manually. Do not apply any force. The lever bends downwards so insert it in the top hole of the actuator. Once it in line with the actuator hole try and push the actuator upwards while holding the lever. You will see it will automatically align to its place.

Secondly, start tightening your actuator and be very careful not to tighten too hard. If you have a torque rancher use it and torque it to 5nm. If you don't have torque rancher tighten with freehand slowly without applying any pressure and try closing the door. If it closes smoothly it is perfect and good to go.

Thirdly, about your stick being too low manually adjust the black rubber or plastic to move up slowly. It's possible while performing DIY you probably pressed it inwards.

Mine works perfect and saved some zar by doing it my self. Luckily I broke nothing. I just learnt not to tighten the actuator so much so that was my learning curve. I had actually tightened it too hard and I could see the pressure in closing and opening the door.

Shout if you need help. Enjoy.
Appreciate 0