BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > Accesories wiring

08-06-2023, 05:02 AM   #1
Scarebus
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 1-series (F20)

Accesories wiring

Hey folks!

After having sold my E46 almost a decade ago, I finally admitted to myself that I missed driving a BMW, so this week I bought an F20. Loving it so far (even though it was a bit of an impulsive purchase and I only realized after the fact it's missing some stuff I assumed would just be standard on any BMW, but hey, you live and you learn).

Now one thing I'm trying to do is get some accessories wired in. Namely my phone charger (Apple Magsafe), and something called a Flitsmeister TWO (it's a Dutch traffic cam warning thing). Both are powered over USB.

Now my initial idea was to wire it from the fuse box, so I bought a set of fuse taps, and a 12V to dual-USB buck converter, before realizing the fuse box is all the way in the back and this may turn out harder than anticipated.

An alternative I could potentially see as viable is to hook the converter into the power of the cigarette plug all the way forward in the center console (under the dash, not in the actual plug).

Now before I start removing trim, taking stuff apart, etc., I'm looking for advice. What would be the best approach? And how hard would it be to get a lead from the center console/cigarette lighter plug, over/under the steering wheel to the left hand side (steering wheel is on the left, and I intend to mount my phone to the A-pillar).

And help/tips/tricks would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0