BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > The options you wish you chose

02-06-2014, 01:33 AM   #23
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

The 8-speed automatic comes in two versions. If you are a petrolhead, you want the sport version. On our 116i, it was not even available. That made the choice very simple, we went for a manual transmission. I am very happy with it. I also find the petrol engine the best of both worlds. With turbo it has plenty of low end grunt like a diesel, but without the horrible smell and rattling. It also revs smoothly to 6500 RPM, and it is not thirsty. It works well in cold winter temperatures, even for short drives.

My vote goes to the 118iM, or even 116iM with even more options. It depends on how much high speed driving you do. The 116i feels a bit weak at 160+. If you do mostly urban city driving, the automatic could be a good choice.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 03:31 AM   #24
Airborne
Registered
Rep
Drives: Fiesta Mk7

Thanks! I wonder whether the M package does really change the feeling of the car, or is it more for the looks. I know there's M suspension, but what about the rest - throttle response, gearbox lever travel, engine and dtc mapping etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 03:43 AM   #25
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
Thanks! I wonder whether the M package does really change the feeling of the car, or is it more for the looks. I know there's M suspension, but what about the rest - throttle response, gearbox lever travel, engine and dtc mapping etc.
I think the driveline is identical to non M Sport models, and probably the DTC mapping as well. The suspension, steering wheel and sport seats makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 04:22 AM   #26
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d MSport Plus

Quote:
For me, the MSport package is more than worth it, if not for the interior alone. If you aren't looking to spec leather, i don't think you can go far wrong with the alcantara interior that this trim level provides, it is one of the nicest standard car interiors i have ever sat in. Aside from that as Ovekvam says the steering wheel and suspension are included, and of course you get the 18" alloys with the exterior MSport detail. For me, the sport interior is closer to the standard interior than the MSport.

As for the engine, I love my 120d Manual (Automatic's are not for me, always miss the gear stick), it has plenty of grunt but sometimes it can be there when you would rather it not at the lower end, the engine is very refined and pulls very high up the rev's in comparison to other manufacturer's diesels; knock it into sport and its truly sublime. After saying all of this, if i was to go through this all again, i would be choosing the petrol. With the difference in initial cost vs running costs of the diesel vs petrol, i'm not too sure theres much in it over 3 yeras when doing 12k miles a year like i do. I long for the sound of a petrol again, the smoothness and more progressive power and of course that waste-gate sound i experienced in a 116i hire car is addictive

What are other peoples thoughts? Personally if i was looking at a 120d and a 118i i think the 120d would be the more powerful option, it has some pace and can almost keep up with golf gti's

All in all, im half way through my 3 year period with this car and i can't stop thinking about the prospect of a petrol again, whether that be a 125i or m135i: funds permitting!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 01:17 PM   #27
matthewcornish
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Thumbs up

Thanks for the responses guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I am glad I picked DAB radio.
Which is now standard Shame that to upgrade is an odd setup with cables and stuff... ugly... so sticking with good old FM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westphone View Post
I wish for the box that never existed the LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
Comfort Access (this no key slot and having to have a loose key fob floating around is an annoying half ass-ed job. May as well have bought the whole thing and had full useful functions too)
Yeah my feeling exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo465 View Post
As an owner of an F20 Estoril Blue M-Sport with Plus Pack I feel I got all the main options I wanted.
Sadly this wasn't an option when I bought my F21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Our F20 has a dedicated slot for the key fob under the climate panel.
OMG I'm so gonna check if the F21 has this... I've not noticed......

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmOneThreeFiveEye View Post
I don't get "fully loading" an already well specced car that is known for it's great VFM. Especially heavy options.
I'd agree if I had a M135i which comes with so much as standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
Extended display. Otherwise all additional info is crumped in a small rectangle display that's partially hidden behind the steering wheel.
Hmm... pull the wheel towards you and down a bit... I mean, if like me you're tall with long legs it's comfy that way anyway. Took me ages to get my position right though for that reason (feeling I couldn't see all my cluster through the wheel).

Quote:
which one would you suggest for a true petrolhead
M135i The letter D and the word "automatic" should also not exist in a true petrolhead's mind heehee
      02-06-2014, 01:22 PM   #28
matthewcornish
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenN View Post
What are other peoples thoughts? Personally if i was looking at a 120d and a 118i i think the 120d would be the more powerful option, it has some pace and can almost keep up with golf gti's

All in all, im half way through my 3 year period with this car and i can't stop thinking about the prospect of a petrol again, whether that be a 125i or m135i: funds permitting!
Of the two I'd be going for the 120D personally. Like you I'm thinking that I might go back to petrol (and the M135i is in my sights). Long trips are awesome economy wise in my 116D but recently I moved and drive the car only a lot less (now live in walking distance from work rather than 12 miles) and for short trips nipping to the shops fuel economy isn't brilliant.
      02-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #29
Airborne
Registered
Rep

This 'Diesel vs Petrol' question is what bothers me. It looks like lots of people still choose diesel mainly because of fuel economy. Which I don't care about that much, due my low mileage. And I wonder if this diesel engine just may be a better alternative in a 'driver's car'.

I've asked Guido, a well-known reviewer of German cars ( http://www.thegetawayer.com/ ) what he thinks and he told that 118i is nothing compared to 120d, if you consider 'spirited' driving. Personally I agree that a 8-speed sport automatic combined with an engine with good torque should result in a great performance. That's why I'm confused why other members here are considering moving back to petrol, besides switching to M135i of course
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 02:34 PM   #30
matthewcornish
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh sure don't get me wrong - if I'm not getting the M135i or M235i next then I'm getting another diesel... they drive fantastically
      02-07-2014, 06:08 AM   #31
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d MSport Plus

Quote:
This 'Diesel vs Petrol' question is what bothers me.

To fully make a decision about going back to Petrol, i would want a 125i or m135i on loan from a dealer for a day or so to get the real MPG figures for my commute and driving style. I dont think i would give the 118i a look in as i have realised that what i enjoy most from the 120d is the torque, so it would have to be close to contend. I personally feel that smaller engined petrols with monsterous turbos aren't comparable to the larger diesels and the diesel wins hands down for me. After having use of a 116i F20 for a week, i used far too much petrol to achieve the sense of acceleration that i am used to in the diesel, so tbh i spent most of the time with my right foot firmly against the carpet, with the window rolled down to hear that glorious sound of the turbo spooling and the waste gate dumping, hehe . The 116i is a fantastic engine tho, for performance and economy in comparison to what other manufacturers are offering, so dont get me wrong on that.

The smaller engine was working harder than say the 118i or 125i would to satisfy my driving demands, and cant help but wonder if i would actually use less fuel in the larger engine as it would be able to provide that power i expect with less effort. Obviously if i drove the 125i or m135i petrol flat out you could expect the larger fuel bill, but im sure this wouldnt be necessary on a regular basis.

When ordering the 120d i often wondered if i made the right decision, i knew it made sense for my pocket, but did it for my heart? As mentioned previously many petrol heads would turn their nose up at the 'd' badge on the back of a car. i loosely regard myself as a petrol head and im starting to realise i should have gone the other way. If you do 20k miles a year, diesel all the way, if its 6k miles a year its got to be petrol: like me doing 12k miles a year - either is fine so go with your heart i say, otherwise its a good few years until its financially viable to make the change again!

If you can stretch to a 125i, go for it; otherwise stick with the 120d!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 06:17 AM   #32
Airborne
Registered
Rep

Many thanks for your opinion guys! What a great community here!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 04:49 AM   #33
Fanis
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: 116i (F20) Auto

Garage List
I have ordered around 10K (Euro) worth of extras, so I am pretty happy!

However, there are a few options that I would like to have (on top of the ones I already have) if I had the extra cash. In order of importance (to me) are the following ones:

- Professional Navigation (because it looks nice and it is useful and I like my gadgets!)

- Electric Seats with memory (because my wife uses the car often and i get annoyed when I cannot adjust the seat to exactly the way it was before)

- Leather seats (because they look and feel nice and make the cabin a better place to be, but I figured I can re-trim whenever I like)

- Harman Kardon Hi-Fi (because the professional one is good but the HK is much better)
2005-07: BMW 325ti (E46)
2004-05: BMW 318i (E36)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 08:00 AM   #34
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

Another option I guess I wish I can choose:
-They didn't give us HUD as an option (probably pricy anways)

This may sound like complaining but....
-Why can't the center console fold down like the old Z4. Driving in the mountains or anywhere there is no light I personally have to turn the brightness all the way down.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #35
Bradbury
Vroooooom!
Norway
Rep
Drives: F20 120d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by westphone View Post
-Why can't the center console fold down like the old Z4. Driving in the mountains or anywhere there is no light I personally have to turn the brightness all the way down.
You could bind one of the buttons to shut off the display.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #36
Kerosene
Rep
Drives: F20 116i Urban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradbury View Post
You could bind one of the buttons to shut off the display.
Can you bind some buttons to such functions? How? (And which buttons are we speaking about anyway?)

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 05:13 PM   #37
Bradbury
Vroooooom!
Norway
Rep
Drives: F20 120d

Garage List
The eight numbered buttons are all programmable. Use the iDrive to highlight the function you want to bind to a button, and then hold the button down for a second or two.
Appreciate 0