BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > ECU tune for M135i COMPLETED

03-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
Active
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMWM235i and 2013 E92 M3

ECU tune for M135i COMPLETED

Had the Hartge tune completed yesterday. Initial feedback: Huge difference in power output in sport and sport plus mode through the lower to mid range. However in comfort zone I am pleased to report I can feel a marginal change in acceleration. Exactly what I expected.

As this tune was only completed yesterday, I need some time over the next few weeks to really analyse the acceleration and power. Will have the dyno completed over the next few weeks.

My next dilemma is where do I have the next service done? At the dealer or the performance centre that did the tune? Feedback please?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Congrats, will be a complete beast now!

I'd go to official dealer for maintenance, else you'll lose guarantee on anything that happens, even when it is not related to the tune at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active View Post
Will have the dyno completed over the next few weeks.
At the dyno, you only be able to measure power in comfort mode, unless it is an AWD dyno. The driving aids will go crazy if you accelerate at full power with the front wheels stationary, so it is only possible with DSC Off.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2, AW M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
I'd go to official dealer for maintenance, else you'll lose guarantee on anything that happens, even when it is not related to the tune at all.
I think that's too wide a statement. In order to lose the benefit of a guarantee, I would say there would have to be a nexus between the change made by the non-authorised dealer and the subject of the guarantee. An extreme example would be getting Bob Jane to fit your tyres and then having an ECU fail.

Congrats on the tune though. Was this done through Ramspeed?
      03-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt View Post
I think that's too wide a statement. In order to lose the benefit of a guarantee, I would say there would have to be a nexus between the change made by the non-authorised dealer and the subject of the guarantee. An extreme example would be getting Bob Jane to fit your tyres and then having an ECU fail.
I guess they specify guarantee "terms and conditions" with a strict condition you respect the maintenance intervals like imposed by the manufacturer and that it is done by an official dealership. On top, when you ignore indications made by the car, they waive responsibility.

You refer to Bob Jane for your tyres, but figure this terror: you blow something in your transmission (driveshafts, end bridge, gearbox, clutch and all other small stuff in between), BMW will immediately waive any responsibility because of "unauthorised" torque increase putting excessive strain beyond engineering specifications. But this they will do irrespective where you have your maintenance done.

But now we're mixing two things: the driveline is no longer covered by BMW anyway, but I assume that Hartge inherited the guarantee (at least for the engine, not the transmission) and that a part you paid for this tuning is this guarantee. BMW will always waive any responsibility on engine and entire driveline. Also when they do the maintenance.

I refer to other aspects, when they don't maintain, you'll lose guarantee on body erosion uptil light bulbs or upholstery in the interior also, so the remaining entire lot! I guess that these terms are concrete and solid (none negotiable)?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
Active
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Congrats on the tune though. Was this done through Ramspeed?
Yep, Ramspeed did the tune
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #7
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Congrats Active. Very pleased to hear this as I would consider Hartge tune as well. Has day to day city driveability changed at all?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 01:42 AM   #8
Active
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Congrats Active. Very pleased to hear this as I would consider Hartge tune as well. Has day to day city driveability changed at all?
Day to day driving in sport mode, driveability off the mark is an instant through the head back into the seat feel. The acceleration is ballistic! However in comfort mode driveability is fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 01:57 AM   #9
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Would have been handy to have dynoed before the Hartge, I made the same erm, error, putting ESS on then dynoing, derr
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 02:18 AM   #10
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2, AW M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active View Post
Day to day driving in sport mode, driveability off the mark is an instant through the head back into the seat feel. The acceleration is ballistic! However in comfort mode driveability is fantastic.
How much did it cost, if you don't mind me asking?

Did you have to take it their workshop in Sydney?

Are there any specifications for octane ratings of fuel?
      03-29-2013, 02:34 AM   #11
Active
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
How much did it cost, if you don't mind me asking?

Did you have to take it their workshop in Sydney?

Are there any specifications for octane ratings of fuel?
Had to take the car to Seven Hills, location of the workshop. I normally run 98 octane and would not consider anything less than 98. As for the cost I suggest you ring them for a quote. If you go on to the HARTGE website you will see the cost for the ECU in euros.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 02:37 AM   #12
Active
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine* View Post
Would have been handy to have dynoed before the Hartge, I made the same erm, error, putting ESS on then dynoing, derr
Have a look on the HARTGE website, they give the dyno results
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #13
BMW_M2
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

Congrats, waiting for your more detailed report in the coming weeks

Instagram: jy8xx8
Appreciate 0