BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > New Steering Rack - New Car!

05-06-2016, 04:05 AM   #23
charliemike
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 Series 116i

Ok the rack has now been replaced and the knocking noise has gone away, even when the car is stationary and engine not running (but car is powered up). Ignore my previous comment that it should make a noise when the engine is off - it shouldn't, that was just the dealer lying through his teeth IMO.

Drives like a new car now, just a shame it took the dealer 4 attempts to get the wheel alignment correct!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 08:11 AM   #24
Elvin6669
Registered
Rep
Drives: 118d M-Sport F20 2013

Hey guys, I had this problem a year ago, the dealer here in uk tried to play the same game that "it's normal" or they can't find anything wrong with it. After monts of taking it back to them explaining that the steering is broken, finally changed the steering rack and the car was excellent. TILL after about 3 months of replacing it, very slightly the simptoms started to get nociced again.. but ofcource they couldn't identify and problem. in the mean time warranty expire and tryed to ignore the problem. But now the steering problem got to a bad stage again.

What can I do? I could go back to dealer to say that the problem started during warranty so they need to fix it free of charge. Or if I replace the steering rack on my own expence at a independent service(would be much cheaper) the thing would be that I don't want to change the rack every 6 months or so because there is a design fault, Is there a permanent fix to it?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 02:37 PM   #25
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

The basic steering rack does not seem to have the issue, so that could be a permanent fix.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 08:00 AM   #26
VESPER_125i
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 LCI 125i M-Sport

Steering rack was replaced in my F20 LCI after I had an accident but it appears the variable steering for the different modes isn't working. Has this happened to anyone else?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 01:58 AM   #27
Bruno28
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i F20 M-Sport

You know what's annoying. While my car was in warranty they said it was normal. So I said let's check with a brand new 125i you have outside. The noise was also on that. But now when I go on bumps I head a slight knock and squeak when I go over bumps and that is getting slightly louder and annoying me. So if you got yours replaced I should have the privilege of getting that too. But now my car is out of warranty. Am I able to claim it even though it's not on warranty because I complained about it before and no one tried to actually solve it?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 11:47 AM   #28
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno28 View Post
So if you got yours replaced I should have the privilege of getting that too. But now my car is out of warranty. Am I able to claim it even though it's not on warranty because I complained about it before and no one tried to actually solve it?
I don't see anyone in this thread claiming they had their steering rack replaced free of charge which is what you seem to imply. Of course you must keep your privilege of having it replaced for money.

Yet, AFAIK, BMW have recognized some steering rack issue(s) and replace those qualifying (not any at all) free of charge regardless of warranty. Here's some confirmation in a neighbour thread: https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/show...8&postcount=21. Have your dealer check (by VIN) if yours qualifies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VESPER_125i View Post
it appears the variable steering for the different modes isn't working
I can't find a quick link of proof, but I saw BMW claiming/explaining variable steering feature was purely mechanical. So no modes for it. It's Servotronic that's also there with variable steering causing troubles as usual.
Appreciate 0