BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > AC Evaporator Replacement BMW 1 series

01-27-2023, 05:24 AM   #1
vngwa
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series E87, 120i

AC Evaporator Replacement BMW 1 series

Hello guys,

My AC evaporator is leaking gas, and the dealer charged me $3500 for labour cost. They told me that the only way is to remove the dash board completely and this will take about 2 to 3 days to complete the job. I have been looking for an alternative solution and have done some thinking. For other cat make, the ac evaporator is located infront of the engine bay beside the radiator.

My question: Is it possible install a new evaporator infront of the radiator just like in other car makes, and reconnect the pipes from the original ac evaporator located behind the dash to the new one? That is, I am thinking of leaving the leaking evaporator in place, and adapt the pipes of the old evaporator to the new one locate in the engine bay. If this is can be done, the cost of reconnecting the ac pipes to the new one in the engine bay will be extremely cheaper than having to remove the entire dash just to replace the it.

Plse let me have your ideas and advise as well.

Thanks so much.
Appreciate 0